Question: Help...Fuel pressure drops after several mins from 5psi to 0psi and shutdowns? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

1/8th tank....I think you might be having fuel feed issues from the tank. Get the tank 1/2 full and see if it runs better. Conventional wisdom is dont go below a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Try powering the LP as Glagulator says using the red wire with the spade connector. See if you maintain fuel pressure and the engine runs better.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

The LP test lead is only to power the LP when the key is off. With the key on the PCM activates the relay and the test lead is disconnected.
Need to know if the ECM-B fuse has 12v. when the engine dies.
Need to know if the LP relay is activated when the engine dies. see post 9.
These engines do not die because the fuel pressure drops, even to slightly negative, IF the fuel system is sealed..

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Southron Jr
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

The fuel system on my Burban was full of all sorts of trash and rust when I bought it. Had similar issues with pressure dropping, eventually replaced the WHOLE fuel system from tank to IP. Might note that I was going crazy trying to fix it and found that the brand new AC delco LP from napa would run for about 30 sec then just dribble fuel. Took it back and got another one and have had no issues since. Tested it by disconnecting the fuel lines and dropping the intake side in at tub of fuel and watching it run and that was when I found the issue.
95' GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD OPS relay mod, FFM eliminated w/ NAPA 12 micron filter/water separator plumbed upstream of LP, fuel pressure gauge w/ remote mount, Boost gauge, PMD mounted behind grille w/ custom extension, and more goodies to come
85' Chevy M1009 Blazer, 6.2 NA stock from military but hey, I just got it and haven't had time to play with this and my welder yet.
92' Chevy K1500, 350 TBI gasser (until it dies and a 6.2 or mech 6.5 takes it's place) Factory NV4500, 4.10 sets with auburn locker out back and a soon to come Dana 60 SAS
91' Mitsu Montero awaiting 4BT transplant UPDATE: gone to the big junkyard in the sky as a little square after my boys who currently have trouble sitting, shot out all the windows and replacing them would have cost more than I paid for the truck to begin with.
80's ish Belarus tractor that just wont die no matter how hard people try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
DieselPower5
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glagulator View Post
Put a 12v. test light on the lift pump relay as in the diagram. Easiest way is to wrap a piece of bare wire around the relay terminal, bend it up and wrap it with tape, then plug it back in.
See if the light goes out when the pressure drops.
This will tell you if the PCM is shutting down.
FYI there is a short red wire with a spade connector on the main harness between the under hood fuse relay center and the firewall. That is a test lead for the lift pump. Apply 12v. to that lead to run the LP when the key is off.

Diagram here: Attachment 286721
Excellent Diag info, and i have 2 questions
1. I looked for the red wire and spade connector last eve, and am going to look right now again. Do you happen to have a picture of this or where it is hiding? Once i find it, sure i can turn on the lift pump, but how long should i run it without the truck running, or is it ok to run endlessly to test it, maybe 5 to 10 mins to see if it fails? Now I have my fuel gauge hooked to the "T" fitting, so should i pump fuel into a oil pan, or just let it run and hold pressure to see if it fails after 2 mins like i keep seeing?

2. on the relay, which pin would i hook a wire took?

(be back in maybe 15 mins, as i try to find the red wire and get a few jumper wires connected to and run it for a few mins under pressure...)
* Skinny Tires LT235/85R16 (E) Nexen Roadian ATII
* Rebuilt Injectors 2009 @ 155miles (Now Jan2015 195miles)
* HeathDiesel.com remote mount PMD & Heavy Duty LP
* HeathDiesel.com Turbo Master Arm & Max-E chip. Timing -1.94
-> The Power came alive & woke this sleeping beauty up (Was a dog before, love it now)
* HP now, would it be 50 or 75HP more so far?300HP & 600Ft lbs some day, but how?
* Maybe future 4" stainless exhaust to manifolds?
* Maybe go from 4:10 to 3:73 gears I suppose ? rarely tow enclosed 4k trailer.
* AutoMeter Gauges: Boost, EGT & Trans Temp.
* Maybe future HeathDiesel BiPass cooling system.
* Baja alloy RIMS, but really want Chrome that is easy to clean(but where cheap?).
-> Bought Dec 2005 @ 122k from original owner.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
DieselPower5
Diesel Starter

ok, i found the spade connector, the little sucker was hidden below the bundle of wire :-)
will now hook up to 12v, brb.....
-> The Power came alive & woke this sleeping beauty up (Was a dog before, love it now)
* HP now, would it be 50 or 75HP more so far?300HP & 600Ft lbs some day, but how?
* Baja alloy RIMS, but really want Chrome that is easy to clean(but where cheap?).
Old 01-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

Lift Pump Prime Lead

For future reference.

1996 and up lift pump prime connector.

LPprimeLEAD.JPG

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.

Last edited by Glagulator; 01-18-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel-T
Diesel Champ

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
For future reference.

1996 and up lift pump prime connector.

Attachment 286865
Fwiw I had some difficulty getting a good connection thru this connector .I kind of ended up blaming the lift pump ground . And could have been my cobbled up 12 volt lead .Just saying so as to be aware that a good connection needed to get the lift pump to run . Just saying because I was blaming the liftpump & it turned out to be just fine.
1997 3500 Dually Crew Cab 4:10s
83 k miles
3 inch down pipe & mandrell bent crossover
K&N Air filter
8.5 ft truck camper--30ft 5th wheel
Dually Club member # 388
Old 01-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
DieselPower5
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Put a 12v. test light on the lift pump relay as in the diagram. Easiest way is to wrap a piece of bare wire around the relay terminal, bend it up and wrap it with tape, then plug it back in.
See if the light goes out when the pressure drops.
This will tell you if the PCM is shutting down.
FYI there is a short red wire with a spade connector on the main harness between the under hood fuse relay center and the firewall. That is a test lead for the lift pump. Apply 12v. to that lead to run the LP when the key is off.

Diagram here: Attachment 286721
Thanks Glagulator & other Gents!!!

OK, i now have the wires running under hood and then wrapping around thru the windows in a temporary testing setup.

1. NOTE: The fuel heater is still unhooked. (I will hook it up after i finish this post and test the truck again)

2. of course now that i have all this hooked up, the truck will NOT stahl when it reaches 0psi (gee whiz, the sucker idled for 10 mins & idled PERFECTLY, so i pulled it back into the garage to hook up the fuel heater. Soo i can surmise this, now that i have the proper diesel sock installed, i guess the Injection Pump is pulling enough fuel to keep itself idling, would you agree??? (i didn't want to drive anywhere on 0psi)

3. I have a 12+ volt reading on the selenoid leg while it is running and idling, and yes even at 0psi (of coarse I have 12+v as soon as the key is turned on & i never loose the 12+v). So this seems like good news.
(I have voltmeter hooked up to the selenoid and sitting on my dash temporarily)

->>YES the 12+ volts never dropped or went to zero, even though i had 0psi. So it seems the LP is not blowing the breaker in the ECM, which you think it would, so this is strange to me??? I assume the lift pump stops and maybe freezes up and is still drawing some amperage, which should kick out the ECM breaker (hmmm, let me go measure that now)

4. Also I hooked up temporary switch & sitting on my dash for turning on the Lift pump when the key is off, and that worked fine. (hooked up to that LP tap by the firewall)

5. ***Get this*** once the lift pump quit working, it has NOW refused to come back on even after 10+ mins so far.... really??? urggg
i even climbed underneath and tap it with a mini hammer to see if it would jar loose, sort of like a starter in the old days where you would smack it to get it to catch a good armature contact and spin so you could get on your way (i know, showing my age, i did this many times in the early 80s when i was 18 )

6. **Amperage that this lift pump is pulling, now that it seems stuck or frozen, or basically junk, but none the less, it is pulling 1.80amps (thru my digital amp meter via the 10 amp connections (DC 10amp connection) )

7. Get this, now that i pulled it into the garage and shut the truck off, it dawned on me a few mins later to jump back in and turn on the key, and sure enough, i get the 12+volts, and NO lift pump sound, but guess what, i hear a small metal type sound below my drivers seat and the 12v disappears....
hmmmmm So i can only assume, that the lift pump after shutting off the truck is now maybe kicking off the ECM breaker just by simply turning on the key and after maybe 5 seconds or more, something happens and the voltage drops to zero...(and yes the "WAIT" light is flashing as normal for start, even after the 12v drops to 0volts???) So that is weird, because

and YES, i can turn off and immdeiately turn the key back and do it again and the voltage goes right back to 12+v, and then i hear a tiny sound and the voltage drops to 0v. So i did this at least 3 times. So i assume the ECM can not trip and immediately allow me to turn the key off and back on and get the 12v??? or can it? (not sure if the ECM is running a breaker like a protable generator that kicks out, or does the ECM run an amp meter and sees high amps and then kicks off a selenoid and that is why i can immediately turn the key off and on and get 12volts again???) (yes, i am an electronics guy )

8. oh get this, while i was typing this, giving it maybe 10 to 15mins to cool down, the stupid lift pump is now working again when i flip my firewall tap LP switch, wow... So do i assume the ECM is NOT doing this, but the LP cooling down and now working again??

## Sooooo, i am putting on my other "SPARE" older/used lift pump. I will test it and be in 15 mins or so....
Old 01-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
DieselPower5
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-T View Post
Fwiw I had some difficulty getting a good connection thru this connector .I kind of ended up blaming the lift pump ground . And could have been my cobbled up 12 volt lead .Just saying so as to be aware that a good connection needed to get the lift pump to run . Just saying because I was blaming the liftpump & it turned out to be just fine.
Hmm, you have me curious

Did you clean up your ground connection like i did underneath your rear bumper on the drivers side?
was it as simple as that and your LP and whole situation was fixed?

(so far for me, i did clean that ground and the other grounds up on the intake manifold, but still had my same bad situation the past 2 weeks of bucking and kicking and not drivable from stahling)
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

By "12+ volt reading on the selenoid leg" you mean the Lift Pump Relay?

Another test, When the 12v. drops to 0 after the metal type sound, need to know what the voltage is at the ECM-B fuse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in