Info: DS4 Injection Pump Closure Time - Follow Up - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Freddyack
  • 1 Post By Bison
  • 1 Post By Diesel-T

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

DS4 Injection Pump Closure Time - Follow Up

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread to find out what is the significance of injection pump closure time. Several Forum members contributed to my education on this subject. Thanks to: Diesel-T, dieselmike1, THEFERMANATOR, turbovanman & DieselPro.

For reference, I have a 1994 OBDI so I use GMTDScan Tech. GMTDScan uses the term “injection pulse width”. Both GMTDScan Basic and Tech will read “injection pulse width”. I do not know what the other scan tools use to describe DS4 injection pump closure time.

My Conclusions: Good idea to periodically check IP closure time.

(1) Normal closure time: between 1.5 ms & 1.9 ms
(2) < 1.5 can trigger DTC 35 (OBDI) P1216 (OBDII) & >1.9 can trigger DTC 36 (OBDI) P1217 (OBDII)
(3) Closure time moving out of normal spec or DTC’s can indicate a bad PMD. PMD is the first thing to replace, then re-check closure time
(4) If a known working PMD does not correct closure time, then the IP is failing.

This is a summary from the original thread:

Definition of Closure Time: "The DS4 uses a PWM solenoid to control rack travel internally to limit fueling. They measure solenoid closure time as a way of verifying that the solenoid is closing and properly controlling the rack travel." [quote from original thread]

Normal closure time: between 1.5 ms & 1.9 ms. This is also stated in the Stanadyne Service Bulletin SB500R2:1.5ms to 1.9ms
What happens when closure time is outside normal operating parameters:

(a) Stanadyne Service Bulletin SB500R2:
<1.5ms might trigger DTC 35
>1.9ms might trigger DTC 36

(b) "Closure time code 35 sets when the fuel injection solenoid closes at less than 1.2 ms. Closure time code 36 sets when the fuel injection solenoid closes at more than 2.5 ms. From what I have seen trucks with a closure time slightly higher than 2.5 ms run quite well and should not be considered bad in my opinion. Some of these "specs" have been altered in some trucks due to a reflash or model change so your truck could throw a code and still be within usable shape." [quote from original thread]

What does it mean if the closure time changes at different speeds/RPM:

"It shouldn’t change much. If it does that is an indicator of a possible issue" [quote from original thread]

What causes closure time to vary from normal operating parameters:

"The PMD is a major contributor to it since it powers the fuel solenoid. GM even had a bulletin out back in the day to replace the PMD before the pump when a code 35 or 36 popped. I know mine varied some from idle to WOT, but varied from about 1.5 to 1.8. When I had a bad PMD (would stall at idle) the closure time would drop down to 1.2 to .8 when it would stall out. Replaced the PMD and it went back to 1.5 to 1.6 at idle." [quote from original thread]

According to the Stanadyne SB 500R2: causes are:
• Damaged PMD calibration resistor
• Defective PMD
• Defective Encoder Sensor
• Improper IP Poppet Valve Stroke Setting
• Incorrect IP Poppet Valve Spring Preload
• Improper Poppet Valve Stroke Setting (<1.5)

In addition, "Dry " ULSD fuel is bad for DS4 IP's. Everyone should be adding lubricant (2 cycle motor oil, Diesel Kleen, Howes Diesel Treatment, etc) at each fuel stop.

Here is the link to the thread: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...-gmtdscan.html

Last edited by Freddyack; 11-19-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bison
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Hell i ain't checking anything as long as they run good.
I have 16 diesels on my farm to maintain + all the other work that needs done
I got no time for that BS,.. i got to sleep too!..jeez!

Other mods, to nummerous to mention.
95 GMC SL 2500 6.5td ext cab sh box auto, 409.000 km,CDR vented to atmosfeer at 307 k, remote pmd, extra glow bypass/LP test switch, relocated OPS ,in cab fuel gauge .High idle switch,new paint.Foot dimmer swich for simultaniously high/low beam. The Wife's pride and joy.
89 GMC 2500 sle 4x4 ext cab 6.2 na stock 740000+ km, engine rebuilt at 660000 km, rusting out now, but runs like new.
Waldon Wheelloader repowered with 6.2 na.
3 tractors dsl ,72 AC 940 whj loader,ASV 4810 Positrack skidsteer
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Great follow up. Funny thing is, the customer who's truck died has exactly the same readings on the new/used pump.
1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel-T
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyack View Post

What causes closure time to vary from normal operating parameters:

"The PMD is a major contributor to it since it powers the fuel solenoid. GM even had a bulletin out back in the day to replace the PMD before the pump when a code 35 or 36 popped. I know mine varied some from idle to WOT, but varied from about 1.5 to 1.8. When I had a bad PMD (would stall at idle) the closure time would drop down to 1.2 to .8 when it would stall out. Replaced the PMD and it went back to 1.5 to 1.6 at idle." [quote from original thread]

According to the Stanadyne SB 500R2: causes are:
Damaged PMD calibration resistor
Defective PMD
Defective Encoder Sensor
Improper IP Poppet Valve Stroke Setting
Incorrect IP Poppet Valve Spring Preload
Improper Poppet Valve Stroke Setting (<1.5)
"Dry " ulsd fuel should be mentioned as a cause?
1997 3500 Dually Crew Cab 4:10s
83 k miles
3 inch down pipe & mandrell bent crossover
K&N Air filter
8.5 ft truck camper--30ft 5th wheel
Dually Club member # 388
Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-T View Post
"Dry " ulsd fuel should be mentioned as a cause?
Good point . I added it to the summary post.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

"What causes c-times to vary from normal values?"

Electrical malfunctions aside.. IMHO its FUEL SUPPLY SYSTEM DIFICIENCIES for the most part. Many GM and Stanadyne Service Bulletins regarding the PMD failures were IMO carefully crafted fabricated lies to cover up the fact that most factory authorized service centers diesel techs were NEVER properly trained nor prepared for the revolutionary DS model pump. And the adverse effects of the new Tier1 diesel fuel being phased in just as the EFI 6.5TD rolled out didnt help matters but I digress..

short c-time typically indicates air. The lack of the fuels natural resistance causes the popet valve to seat to soon- SHORT time.

long c-time typically idicates contamination, increasing the fuel natural resistance causing the popet valve to seat late- LONG time

For a longer explaination, see explain how the ds4 pump works please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in