95 g3500 no crank electrical issue (ignition switch?) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
veggiev
Diesel Newbie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

95 g3500 no crank electrical issue (ignition switch?)

Hi guys Ive got what I am hoping to be minor electrical gremlin to track down. Just as background info, Ive got a 95 g3500 with a naturally aspirated 6.5l db2 injection pump (no pmd). Anyways, In the past few weeks Ive noticed that when i turn the ignition, the "sensitivity" of the ignition switch has been decreasing a bit. Meaning that I am getting no response from the key turn except in one "sweet spot" where the vehicle will start. The vehicle would start fine once I hit the right spot and I got power to the starter.
Recently it has become extremely more finicky, and now the situation has deteriorated and my ignition cylinder seems to give me no response.

So heres what I know:

Key turned, I get power to my glow plug light, interior lights, radio. maybe to my gages. I can actually see the mph gage needle slightly twitch during the key turn, and the battery needle works, so i guess they work. But of course no power to starter.

Im not the best with electrical, but my initial guess was that my ignition switch was starting to go. Any thoughts? Loose ground somewhere? anything I can test to narrow this down further? Thanks in advance for any help fellas.

Last edited by veggiev; 08-12-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
kerrye
Diesel Boss

Could be. I have a little round ammeter I bought 40 yrs ago which lays on a battery cable and gives the amperage going thru the cable. It will tell you if the starter is drawing current with the key in the start position. If you have one and it is drawing enough current, it tells you the problem is in the starter and not the switch.

New Optimizer 10/14
Rebuilt Central Plains Diesel IP 10/14
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
kerrye
Diesel Boss

This is the kind of meter I'm talking about. Induction Ammeter 2138 for Starter Current 400 Amp DC New in Box | eBay
New Optimizer 10/14
Rebuilt Central Plains Diesel IP 10/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Test for the ignition switch: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post1608102

Another thing to check. The starter solenoid power wire runs near the passenger side manifold. Heat can cause a failure in this wire.

Always a good idea to check & thoroughly clean your grounds...and battery cables: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/2755252-post5.html.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Probe the CRANK fuse in the fuse block in the drivers side of the dash with a 12v. test
light while you try to crank it. If the light glows then power is headed to the starter, if not then you probably need an ignition switch. 1995 does not have a starter relay like the 96 and up do. The crank fuse does not feed the starter, it send power to the lift pump relay while cranking.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glagulator View Post
Probe the CRANK fuse in the fuse block in the drivers side of the dash with a 12v. test
light while you try to crank it. If the light glows then power is headed to the starter, if not then you probably need an ignition switch. 1995 does not have a starter relay like the 96 and up do. The crank fuse does not feed the starter, it send power to the lift pump relay while cranking.
Added to the FAQs
Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
veggiev
Diesel Newbie

thanks alot for the help fellas, im gonna jump into this today and see what i come up with. not sure if my 95 has a crank fuse because i have a mechanical lift pump, gonna see what i find..
Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Just realized you have a van but should still have a crank fuse. Might be marked CRK.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Old 08-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
veggiev
Diesel Newbie

ok so thanks again for all the insights my friends. I finally got some time to poke around and I'm finding that:

I cleaned up and inspected all the grounds that I could find, especially the rear passenger manifold ground.
I cleaned up and tested the batteries, they are reading and looking good.
Ive tested the lead to the starter solenoid from the battery, and I'm getting 12v there.

Any thoughts on where to locate/test the ignition switch (switch end of my solenoid).

I know I can jump the switch on the solenoid and see if the starter kicks, but I'm working by myself with no jack stands, blocks, etc, and the starter is so hard to get at on these vans, it would be somewhat epic.

It would be great if I could move to ruling out/testing the ignition switch, plus i actually suspect this is where my issue is anyway, but of course I don't really know much about electric. I read the above link on testing the ignition switch but I'm not quite understanding it. Wondering exactly how to check for power at my ecm fuses?

I don't know if I made it clear before but my starter won't crank at all, and I have not been experiencing any stalling or things of the sort while the car was actually running.

thanks again all.

Last edited by veggiev; 08-14-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
veggiev
Diesel Newbie

a quick update, i also checked my voltage on the switch stud (the small one) on my starter solenoid, with the key in start position. didn't get much on it. i put one lead on the stud and one grounded to the body (guessing thats right).. but anyway I'm assuming its supposed to have decent voltage when the key is in start position, don't know how much, but is this correct? and can i assume that if there is no voltage to this stud that my problem is probably in the ignition switch?

Last edited by veggiev; 08-14-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in