locating PMD in 3500 cube van - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

As said above, its in the same place as every other 6.2/6.5. The back of the motor houses the intake manifold and turbo.

It would be easier to remove the upper intake manifold to access the PMD wiring.

1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!

Last edited by turbovanman; 07-24-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Not sure if this is what your after but bidding ends in 24. 0 bids, wait to the last minute, then bid. Likely shipped to you for $50.00

Cant imagine there being a huge different in model years, but remember I dont know jack 'bout vans..

1999 GMC SAVANA CHEVY EXPRESS G VAN FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS SHOP 1500 2500 3500

Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
mikelea1
Gear Grinder

Savanna 3500 Cube Van PMD

Unfortunately the PMD is up inside the engine well between the Injector Pump and the exhaust manifold. The GM engineer who designed the PMD location should be strung up with dental floss by his man parts! That's why it is recommended you move the PMD to the front passenger inside fender or elsewhere! They overheat in the engine well/ exhaust manifold are and fry themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv31 View Post
Hi

I have a savanna 3500 cube van.

I need some help locating the PMD. I took off the engine cover, but can't locate the IP. I've attached a pic so you can point it out for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone has a service manual or knows where I can get one, please let me know.

Thanks.

its a 2001 gmc savanna 3500 cube van (diesel)
6.5 turbo engine

Last edited by mikelea1; 07-25-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Misspellings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
90GMC62L
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelea1 View Post
Unfortunately the PMD is up inside the engine well between the Injector Pump and the exhaust manifold. The GM engineer who designed the PMD location should be strung up with dental floss by his man parts! That's why it is recommended you move the PMD to the front passenger inside fender or elsewhere! They overheat in the engine well/ exhaust manifold are and fry themselves...
The exhaust manifold is nowhere near the PMD....

1983 Silverado K10 RC/LB 305 700R4 119K miles:
1993 Formula Firebird LT1 6-speed. 119K miles:
1995 GMC K2500 LB/EC 6.5L 4L80E 167K miles:
DE 4" no muffler exhaust, OBD-I high idle mod, 285s, Walbro FRC-10 lift pump, Custom FTB mod, stock FFM delete, '82 6.2 Diesel fuel filter setup with filter heater.
2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/ZF6 CC/SB
Link to my build thread ----> https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...liability.html
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Transporter2112
Heat Sink

Ok, I have a 97 Express, some motor. The plug CAN be accessed to install a remote PMD without having to remove everything, but it's really not hard to do it right. Start by removing the manifold crossover pipe. It's the big aluminum pipe that goes across the engine just above the turbo. It's held down by 6 10mm bolts. The gaskets are rubber O rings on the turbo and big rubber gaskets on each of the manifolds so they're re-usable. Then remove the big black plastic pipe that comes into the turbo from the air cleaner in the front. In the vans, start by removing the air cleaner assembly at the front of the grill, then the rubber flex hose, then the black pipe to the turbo. There is a large bolt that holds that pipe in that you can access from inside the truck, work that pipe out then you will see the PMD directly below that black pipe. You actually have pretty decent access once you get all the plumbing out of the way. Reassembly is in reverse order, no special tools or rebuild kits needed. It took me a while to figure all this out, but don't sweat it. You're maybe 5 minutes away from the PMD.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
90GMC62L
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter2112 View Post
Ok, I have a 97 Express, some motor. The plug CAN be accessed to install a remote PMD without having to remove everything, but it's really not hard to do it right. Start by removing the manifold crossover pipe. It's the big aluminum pipe that goes across the engine just above the turbo. It's held down by 6 10mm bolts. The gaskets are rubber O rings on the turbo and big rubber gaskets on each of the manifolds so they're re-usable. Then remove the big black plastic pipe that comes into the turbo from the air cleaner in the front. In the vans, start by removing the air cleaner assembly at the front of the grill, then the rubber flex hose, then the black pipe to the turbo. There is a large bolt that holds that pipe in that you can access from inside the truck, work that pipe out then you will see the PMD directly below that black pipe. You actually have pretty decent access once you get all the plumbing out of the way. Reassembly is in reverse order, no special tools or rebuild kits needed. It took me a while to figure all this out, but don't sweat it. You're maybe 5 minutes away from the PMD.

Good info, this should get ya going OP.

1983 Silverado K10 RC/LB 305 700R4 119K miles:
1993 Formula Firebird LT1 6-speed. 119K miles:
1995 GMC K2500 LB/EC 6.5L 4L80E 167K miles:
DE 4" no muffler exhaust, OBD-I high idle mod, 285s, Walbro FRC-10 lift pump, Custom FTB mod, stock FFM delete, '82 6.2 Diesel fuel filter setup with filter heater.
2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/ZF6 CC/SB
Link to my build thread ----> https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...liability.html
Old 07-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
pv31
Block Heater

ok thanks for all the input

Transporter2112 explanation helped the most

this should get me started and if I need any more help, I'll let you guys know
Old 07-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
quadstar87
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

It actually looks easier than a truck since the intake is o-ringed

Quadstar Tuned '94 C1500 ECSB 6.5TD 4l80E. DS4-5068S. Billet 60mm Turbo with external gate, OBDII converted w/ Bluetooth VPW data stream & Edge EAS Competition Data Logging.
Quadstar Tuned '98 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5TD 4L80E. DS4-5068S. Fully studded 506 with Optimizer heads.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
mikelea1
Gear Grinder

On a Chevy Van: The problem you will run into is there is not enough distance to remove the PMD screws between the PMD and the manifold. The screws exceed the space between the two! I bought another PMD (x2), an extension cord and heat-sink to mount the PMD on the inside of the passenger-side fender. One thing I will mention. After replacing four Injector Pumps (IP) on a 2000 Chevy 3500 Express and 5 PMD's, I discovered the problem was actually caused by the fuel tank lining sloughing off and blocking the lift well filters inside the tank (there are three!!) and kicking up particles which microscopically passed the fuel filter and was destroying the Injector Pumps. After discovering the problem and dropping the tank for the THIRD time, I cut an access panel in the floor & padding of the van so I would never have to drop the tank again. Don't know your specific problem, but if it is poor acceleration, "fish-biting", dying, or overall poor performance, check the lift pump inside the tank for metallic looking paint particles blocking it up!!! IT COST ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS until I figured it out myself. So far I have not had a problem since. I just check the tank filter every six months for blockage..... Goood Luck!!

Last edited by mikelea1; 07-25-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Text clarification
Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
savvy65
Banned

I have one of these vans. It looks like you found a way to find it - those three lines under seen through the intake cross-over is the back of the injection pump. It looks like to me from your pic your turbo seals are blown or leaking. The van gets hot in that small engine compartment area. This is hard on the oil - and the engine heat soaks - the intake air temperature.

If the inside of the crossover is as oily as the outside or more - you have a blown or leaking seal likely on the turbo - in the pic it can be seen leaking out and dripping down the turbo compressor side outlet.

I make intercooler kits with water injection provisions built in for these because the turbo is at the rear - and the more it works for boost - the hotter it gets to cause heat soak across it back into the air intake. Unless you have an air intake temperature gauge - or are using a program on an Android phone across Bluetooth like "dashcommand" or using an ultragauge, you cannot see how radically the air intake temperatures swing.

My air intake cold in the morning (a southern California July morning) once started at 80 F and would go to around 116 F to 125 F and hold there as long at the vehicle is moving. Mid-day I could never get it much below 140 F. So long as it stays UNDER 125 F it runs fine. If you park say to go into store - the engine heat soak will cover the whole engine - when you start it back up the air intake will be the engine temperature approximately - usually 160 F. You cannot cool this back down by driving.

If you push for hard acceleration - it will not cool down the intake air, and combustion temps will be too hot for good performance. Most all research shows a diesel likes no more than 60 C or 140 F for air intake temps.

Over 125 F mine would run like crap and the turbo will not kick in. More boost is MORE heat to the intake air temperature. ULSD does not help - even though it burns cooler - it just means less power.

I now fumigate mine with true Hydrogen made on the fly through a vacuum based regulator-mixer and get really high fuel mileage - really low EGT's and cleaner and cooler oil. Since hydrogen goes out as cooler exhaust most of my problems went away fumigating with it. AND NO - I am not talking about "HHO" - I am talking about true pure hydrogen.

For that van you should consider putting on an EGT gauge, an oil temperature gauge, and a boost gauge - and having your turbo rebuilt or repaired - because oil leaking out of the intake like your pic shows means you are likely sucking and /or blowing oil past the turbo seals which is throwing your A/F injection ratio screwy.

Just a thought - that what you think are PMD problems may not "totally" be the only thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in