New Member - Probably posting in the wrong area too! - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
grabowski
Whistle Pigs Are Cool

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

The Suburban Club Member

Remove the Optical Sensor filter harness.

Midland Diesel Las Vegas Diesel rebuilt 5221 Blue Label IP with ULSD Upgrade & rebuilt Bosch injectors @ 2200psi. 235-85 on 16" PYO alloys. Bilstein HDs, Hellwig rear sway bar. Heath TM. Fluidampr. S&B oiled filter Intake, Provent 200 W/catchcan. Bosch Duraterm GP W/PT Solutions GP harness. WJ FTB. AC Delco Tstat & Red Line Water Wetter. hxtasy PMD #2 resistor on Heath Isolator 4. LS 1/2" oil cooler & lines. OPS Relay Mod & Leroys Hose. Diamond Eye exhaust. Heath 2.5" crossover. W/T Grille. VDO EGT & Vac/Boost gauge with copper line & Leroys Boost Bolt.

- 12-13-16 Out Of Commission @ 194,680k, 50 miles after Teds Mil Takeout Install. Bad noises in the motor.
- 12-29-16 #7 lifters and pushrods replaced and still sounds like a metal trash can half full of hammers rolling down a scree field.
- 03-01-17 @ 194,802 miles she's no longer mine.

12-28-2016: I no longer recommend Badger/kr_services and Ted's Trucks
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrush2112 View Post
Took a photo of code sticker in glove box. Looks like I have 3.73 gears. Anyone know how to break down this sheet?
use this with the vin #:
Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Old 03-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
amrush2112
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabowski View Post
Remove the Optical Sensor filter harness.

Can you educate me on the what and why? Have no idea what that is.

Too many life projects and not enough time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Can you educate me on the what and why? Have no idea what that is.
Take a look at this: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/1428384-post31.html

Look at the top of the injection pump. There is a harness that connects to the Optic Sensor. It is the black cylinder on the top of the IP: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post5796970. The filter is connected about 6" down the harness. Unplug it from both ends and hook the harness back together.

The Optic Sensor Filter Harness is a known failure point and will contribute to the symptoms you hare having.

Last edited by Freddyack; 03-15-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
amrush2112
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyack View Post
Take a look at this: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/1428384-post31.html

Look at the top of the injection pump. There is a harness that connects to the Optic Sensor. It is the black cylinder on the top of the IP: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post5796970. The filter is connected about 6" down the harness. Unplug it from both ends and hook the harness back together.

The Optic Sensor Filter Harness is a known failure point and will contribute to the symptoms you hare having.

I looked for the sensor and was unable to find anything 6 inches down so I am guessing that may already have been completed. I did notice the smog pump is still on there. That is going to go soon.

I was also playing around with the not so well mounted remote PMD and cooler while the engine was running. As I touched the wire harness where it plugs into the PMD I was able to move the harness and the engine stumbled a few times then I actually could make it die. I moved it again and restarted the truck and it fired right off again. I think the culprit may be a bad or faulty connection in the cable and not the PMD itself. (Awesome!) So I think my best plan is to replace the remote location cable to a longer (6') cable and mount in front of oil cooler.

Also looks like the injection pump is new. Bonus! I also did the rev to 2000 for 10 seconds and let off throttle and it drops back and idles smoothly. Good sign. I repeated this test 5 times...same results.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
grabowski
Whistle Pigs Are Cool

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
. I did notice the smog pump is still on there. That is going to go soon.
Smog pump?
Midland Diesel Las Vegas Diesel rebuilt 5221 Blue Label IP with ULSD Upgrade & rebuilt Bosch injectors @ 2200psi. 235-85 on 16" PYO alloys. Bilstein HDs, Hellwig rear sway bar. Heath TM. Fluidampr. S&B oiled filter Intake, Provent 200 W/catchcan. Bosch Duraterm GP W/PT Solutions GP harness. WJ FTB. AC Delco Tstat & Red Line Water Wetter. hxtasy PMD #2 resistor on Heath Isolator 4. LS 1/2" oil cooler & lines. OPS Relay Mod & Leroys Hose. Diamond Eye exhaust. Heath 2.5" crossover. W/T Grille. VDO EGT & Vac/Boost gauge with copper line & Leroys Boost Bolt.

- 12-13-16 Out Of Commission @ 194,680k, 50 miles after Teds Mil Takeout Install. Bad noises in the motor.
- 12-29-16 #7 lifters and pushrods replaced and still sounds like a metal trash can half full of hammers rolling down a scree field.
- 03-01-17 @ 194,802 miles she's no longer mine.

12-28-2016: I no longer recommend Badger/kr_services and Ted's Trucks
Old 03-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
I looked for the sensor and was unable to find anything 6 inches down so I am guessing that may already have been completed.

Quote:
I did notice the smog pump is still on there. That is going to go soon.
Is the "smog pump" you are looking at mounted below the A/C compressor? If so, that is the vacuum pump. It controls the turbo waste gate. So dont remove it unless you are going to replace the turbo waste gate controls with: Heath Diesel or make one like this: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...-easy-pie.html

Quote:
I was also playing around with the not so well mounted remote PMD and cooler while the engine was running. As I touched the wire harness where it plugs into the PMD I was able to move the harness and the engine stumbled a few times then I actually could make it die. I moved it again and restarted the truck and it fired right off again. I think the culprit may be a bad or faulty connection in the cable and not the PMD itself. (Awesome!) So I think my best plan is to replace the remote location cable to a longer (6') cable and mount in front of oil cooler.
Glad you found the problem . But dont mount the PMD in front of the oil cooler! You will block air flow. Most guys put it inside the bumper behind the license plate bracket.

Quote:
Also looks like the injection pump is new. Bonus! I also did the rev to 2000 for 10 seconds and let off throttle and it drops back and idles smoothly. Good sign. I repeated this test 5 times...same results.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
amrush2112
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:

Is the "smog pump" you are looking at mounted below the A/C compressor? If so, that is the vacuum pump. It controls the turbo waste gate. So dont remove it unless you are going to replace the turbo waste gate controls with: Heath Diesel or make one like this: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...-easy-pie.html

Glad you found the problem . But dont mount the PMD in front of the oil cooler! You will block air flow. Most guys put it inside the bumper behind the license plate bracket.

Yes - Vacuum pump. Check on the not mounting in front of oil cooler. Makes sense. I am going to see if I can initially check the connections and find out the fault on the harness to the PMD. I believe that with the unit not being properly mounted that it is the cause of the disruption and weakened connection - aka - short. That will give me time to get a back up PMD and better harness while I fix the other gremlins to make it road worthy.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Took a photo of code sticker in glove box. Looks like I have 3.73 gears. Anyone know how to break down this sheet?
From the FAQ's RPO Codes: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...rpo-codes.html

The VIN number link Racer55 posted is a great resource, too
Old 03-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
amrush2112
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabowski View Post
That is what I was looking for! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in