DIY: itermitant fuel problem - Page 6 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #51 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuatu chevy View Post
Codes yes 6 of them Po 251,370,380.4104,406 and 236 I think most relating to lack of fuel
P0236 Turbocharger Boost System
P0251 Injection Pump Cam System
P0370 Timing Reference High Resolution
P0380 Glow Plug Circuit Performance
P0406 EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Not sure what "4104" is

Corrosion must be a problem where you live. Recommend you thoroughly clean your ground connections. See this: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...d-grounds.html. Cleaning your grounds may help get rid of some of these codes.

P0251 & P0370 are usually related to the injection pump Optic Sensor. Most likely dirty and needs a thorough cleaning by using heavy doses of "Sea Foam" or "Diesel Kleen" fuel additive.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Heres a very insightful and informative 6.5L Diagnostic Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
For OBDII primary power for the LP is as shown in the diagram,the ECM activates the prime cycle through the relay and once it sees a running engine from OS/CPS signals activates the relay for constant run operation.
Should the relay circuit fail,the OPS is backup LP power-it also operates the LP after engine shutdown while oil pressure bleeds off.

P0231 Fuel Pump Feedback Circuit Low Voltage

Racer. Not that I dont believe you, but I want to see the OBD2 6.5L diesel specific "Fuel Pump Circuit Description" and "Diagnostic Chart" with "Test Description(s)" for myself. Copied directly from an authorized factory service manual, much like I routinely provide for OBD1 owners. Not some randumb internet source or someones "independent" studies..

Please. Can SOMEONE provide the applicable "Fuel Pump Relay Circuit Diagnosis Chart" with the "Circuit description" for OBD2 models that can confirm the info being provided is completely accurate. Thanks..

Everything I find about P0231 nearly confirms our current understanding of the OBD2 lift pump relay circuit description, only its applicable to gasoline engines. Cant find ANY specific to C/K 6.5 diesels (OBD2) from any FSMs.

Sorry Freddy but that "wiring schematic" isnt factory authorized...
Looks alot like this '94 Engine Schematic I found at autozone. Notice the LPR circuit,, oh pooh wheres the OPS represented at? Wait thats not right at all.
Stands to reason if that '94 schematic is inaccurate, I wouldnt put much stock in that '96-98 schematics accuracy, most likely came from the same source of misinformation...

Quote:
To the OP:
Behind the underhood fusebox is a single red wire with a female spade terminal and a white or black insulator-this is the test lead for LP activation or priming a new fuel filter.
If you apply 12v to that red wire the LP should run through the normally closed contacts of the relay.

The OP might also need to check out the condition of the LP ground wire that should be located along the frame very near the LP-high resistance at the ground can cause excess amperage draw.
X2 Thankyou for articulating that point far better than I.
If theres a LP or LPR Circuit problem, regardless what is eventually found faulty. Take a few extra minutes and actually clean the grounds too..

Last edited by HeavyChevy95; 09-05-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

When time permits I will try to source that trouble tree from the 2000 3500HD manual I have.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #54 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy95 View Post
Racer. Not that I dont believe you, but I want to see the OBD2 6.5L diesel specific "Fuel Pump Circuit Description" and "Diagnostic Chart" with "Test Description(s)" for myself. Copied directly from an authorized factory service manual, much like I routinely provide for OBD1 owners. Not some randumb internet source or someones "independent" studies..

Please. Can SOMEONE provide the applicable "Fuel Pump Relay Circuit Diagnosis Chart" with the "Circuit description" for OBD2 models that can confirm the info being provided is completely accurate. Thanks..
Quote:
Sorry Freddy but that "wiring schematic" isnt factory authorized... Looks alot like this '94 Engine Schematic I found at autozone. Notice the LPR circuit,, oh pooh wheres the OPS represented at? Wait thats not right at all. Stands to reason if that '94 schematic is inaccurate, I wouldnt put much stock in that '96-98 schematics accuracy, most likely came from the same source of misinformation...
No what I posted is not a factory wiring schematic.

I cannot verify these two are either, but at least page 2 has the OPS circuit(s). I swiped these from here: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post4469709
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996 Engine Controls Pg 1.jpg (101.6 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 1996 Engine Controls Pg 2.jpg (73.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #55 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Actually they both have the OPS in the circuit and ARE from the 2001 6.5 L65 3500HD manual.

Trouble tree to follow as requested for informational purposes only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel system diagnosis 1_0001.jpg (77.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg fuel system diagnosis 2.jpg (82.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg fuel system diagnosis 3.jpg (96.7 KB, 41 views)

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions

Last edited by racer55; 09-05-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Actually they both have the OPS in the circuit and ARE from the 2001 6.5 L65 3500HD manual.
I see the OPS circuits in both now. More than a bit under the weather today...
Old 09-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #57 (permalink)
vanuatu chevy
Self Ignition

where will I find the fuel pump test terminal ? Weather here is hot 30 just about to get the boat over to work on the truck have down loaded all the check info I could find and will go through it. fingers crossed cheers .if you ever need a holiday check out my place Beach house on private island - Home
Old 09-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #58 (permalink)
vanuatu chevy
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyack View Post
Do you have any DTC codes from the truck's computer?

How much fuel is in the tank?

Do you have a voltmeter? If so,

1. Disconnect the electrical power to the lift pump.
2. Put transmission in D (drive)
3. Turn the ignition key to ON (not start)
4. Check for voltage at the the connector the lift pump plugs into.
5. Do you have power at the connector?
No power at connector.
I think I may have a faulty oil pressure switch is there a bypass I can do for now ? I also had a kink in the fuel line just in front of the sender unit. Straightened that a little .I ran power to the pump to prime the filter
Truck is running for now no fault codes see how it goes to town Monday. Off now for a swim
Thanks for the help
Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #59 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

Do you have a FSM diagnostic chart or trouble tree for DTC P0231?

Thats odd Racer.. Your "Circuit Description" nor "Diagnosis Chart" never mentions the OPS nor what role, if any, it plays in the Fuel Pump Electrical Circuit as shown in this schematic which appears to be significantly different than the schematic in post 47. so to eliminate any further misinformation, could everyone please limit there info to and provide the GM Title(s) and publication number(s) of any/all reference material.

Assuming this schematic is accurate.. Take note of the ECM-B power feed. Virtually a straight shot to and through the OPS before reaching the lp...
It appears to me the PCM D8 (?) connection is the glow/LP prime signal. Then once the OPS is HOT (engine "ON"), the PCM simply monitors the LPR circuit via PCM D5 connection.
The OPS wouldnt be in the loop if it didnt play some role... How do you explain OBD2 LPR circuit faults and/or inop LPs resulting from just a faulty OPS?
Not lookin for an argument, just ensure that we are passing on accurate info. That is all..

Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #60 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Assuming this schematic is accurate.. Take note of the ECM-B power feed. Virtually a straight shot to and through the OPS before reaching the lp... It appears to me the PCM D8 (?) connection is the glow/LP prime signal. Then once the OPS is HOT (engine "ON"), the PCM simply monitors the LPR circuit via PCM D5 connection.
The OPS wouldnt be in the loop if it didnt play some role... How do you explain OBD2 LPR circuit faults and/or inop LPs resulting from just a faulty OPS?
Not lookin for an argument, just ensure that we are passing on accurate info. That is all..
My thoughts:

1. GM didn't eliminate the safety role of the OPS. Loss of oil pressure shuts off lift pump.

2. PCM D8 seems to be designed to sense interruption in current flow from both the relay and the OPS. How does it do this....

The OP states he does not have voltage at the lift pump connector. So, if the OPS is active in LP operation, then a bad one could cause the ECM to cut the power to the lP. And/or the LP relay is bad. Should be able to test each gray wire going from the relay and OPS for 12v to figure out which is not working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in