Injection Pump Warranty (surviving a trip to the dealer) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Injection Pump Warranty (surviving a trip to the dealer)

One of the most often asked about subjects on the 6.5 TD system is the IP warranty, what follows is information to help you survive a warranty trip to the dealer; please if this generates more questions ask in a separate thread, as I don't want to clutter the info in this post. Experienced hands, if I miss something please add to it.

General Motors in an attempt to meet demands for economy & emissions decided to go with a PCM controlled injection system, which gave us the electronic IP, which is very similar to the mecahnical IP more info here . It wasn't without problems, many trucks had/have problem but not enough to warrant a blanket recall of all IP's or redesign.

In corporate politics/liability it's all about $$$, so rather than a warranty per sei; special policy 00064D was written to cover by attrition problems as they occur, on 6.5 TD equipped GM vehicles 1994-2001 for 11yrs, or 120,000 miles (193,121km) whichever occurs first.

This policy covers both the IP AND the driver (black transistor assy on side of the IP), emphasis on AND. As a 6.5 owner it is up to you to be as knowledgeable on this as possible as many dealers either from ignorance, or lack of integrity just don't know much about the 6.5 and will balk at honoring the special policy; remember it went out of production for GM trucks in 2001, all their Diesel experience for most part is 6.6 DMAX current offerings.

The policy is for 100% coverage and no co-pay is required, some dealers demand a co-pay or deny knowledge of it, get the GM regional tech rep involved if need be, also if you have a IP replaced by GM or independent shop that should have been covered under warranty you are entitled to reimbursement for co-pay or repair, (best in this one case to go to GM shop for IP replacement easier to verify later on GM's system if paper work gets lost) Alas IP isn't warrantied only the truck so when you go out of special policy period, it's on you.

Now in order to honor warranty, GM dealers have specific guidelines to meet 1st, they will look for sediment in filters, lift pump operation, and codes. If you have sediment in filter, generally before warranty before honoring warranty, 1st "tank will need to be cleaned & becasuse of dirty tank, the lift pump will also be bad and need replacing", if filter is clean must be a bad lift pump so you will have to pay for that 1st.

So prior to going to dealer replace fuel filter, (keep reciept to prove you just did it), make sure bowl is spotless clean (see here what can be found in the bowl https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=40783), they may swap filter anyway so they can verify it's clean and no bowl sediment, okay but do not pay for it you did it prior to coming. next they may do a lift pump check, this also is something you need to do prior to going to dealer, this may be a problem anyway for you check lift delivery remember OPS as well, if they find this not working you will pay for their labor an GM part cost to fix this 1st before warranty on IP happens.

Also you may be hit up with a contamination issue, they may draw a fuel sample saying water in fuel, which is why I like a pre filter/separator . Condensation in fuel is a fact of life they will find it, you can either separate it or emulsify it with additives, I prefer separation, the WIF sensor on fuel filter manager is for gross amounts of water from seriously contaminated fuel, but any fuel they find they will want to drop the tank. Also they may try to say it Gasoline contamination, make them prove it.

Lack of codes is another issue, a failing PMD may or may not give a code, but TDG say CTME count or lack of it may give indication of failing driver.

TDG or Diesel Pro (our in house IP guys) please add a note about this and codes that may be displayed:

Now if you have remote mounted a driver and expect warranty, for get it, neither Stanadyne nor most GM dealers recognize this as an approved fix, so if you have a remote driver it needs to be on the IP before any warranty may be considered. Probably may want to remove any evidence of remote mounting.

There is a way to generate a code thaty requires dealer to act on PM me for that info, as this is a last resort after all avenues have been exhausted, and to keep folks honest I'll not post it in common forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
supra_6.5T

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

This should be a sticky

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
nvmtnlion

Turbine Doc,

This REALLY should be in the FAQ. Great info for those who are still covered.

Also, good to see Katrina didn't wash ya away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

Already there, see last note in FAQ
Old 11-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
weekend warrior
Self Ignition

I was told by the dealership that only some trucks are covered.
Apparently, it's only some IP from certain manufactor plants.
They can check this by vin #

Is there any truth to this?

It looks like I'm in luck

but for some who are turned down this may be why.

Maybe someone that knows more than I could clear this up.

Thanks.

PS: This can be moved or deleted if you think it would be best.
1987 S10 Prosteet
2001 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6L(Sold,will be missed)
2012 GMC 3500 HD SLE Reg Cab 4X4 D-Max H&S Mini Maxx Delete. MBPR 4" Stainless Exhaust. Kennedy Lift Pump.

Last edited by weekend warrior; 11-25-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post
I was told by the dealership that only some trucks are covered.
Apparently, it's only some IP from certain manufactor plants.
They can check this by vin #

Is there any truth to this?.
All the pumps come from the same place. Warranty has no bearing on what pump is on the truck. Most pumps are not orginal to the truck either. Had one customer who had 12 pumps before the warranty ran out.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
hiredgun58
Diesel Student

Send a message via MSN to hiredgun58

new i/p this week. thanks for all the info in this post
Old 06-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

Okay policy has changed some since I first posted this, what I then thought to be correct, here is a thread containing the current policy sent to me by a GM tech current as of June 2006 https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87877 it does give the dealer some room to deny a full IP replacement, but if it were mine I'd push the issue as far as I could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in