Rebuilding Holset HX35 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine > 6.5/6.2 High Performance Engine Modifications
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5/6.2 High Performance Engine Modifications High Performance Turbocharger and Engine Related Modifications Discussion Forum - Specific To The GM 6.2 & 6.5 Diesel Engine.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By turbovanman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
mattcucu
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Rebuilding Holset HX35

SO i got my hands on a genuine holset hx35 out of a box of cummins parts my buddy had.. got it for free. I want to rebuild the turbo but do not know much about how to rebuild them. Needs a wheel and the shaft has some play in it. Just seeing if anyone can guide me in the right direction with the rebuild.

Thanks
Matt

All Stock for the most part- My future welding Rig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcucu View Post
SO i got my hands on a genuine holset hx35 out of a box of cummins parts my buddy had.. got it for free. I want to rebuild the turbo but do not know much about how to rebuild them. Needs a wheel and the shaft has some play in it. Just seeing if anyone can guide me in the right direction with the rebuild.

Thanks
Matt
Should be very similar to this rebuild..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...build-kit.html

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
mattcucu
Block Heater

Thanks Dually
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Buy an OEM rebuild kit or a decent aftermarket kit-they do exist. You should take it apart first and measure the bearings/turbine shaft as it could have been rebuilt already and it might have oversize holes in the housing or undersize turbine shaft.

Next, if it has a 12 point nut, it doesn't need rebalancing if the turbine wheel is undamaged and you are just replacing the compressor wheel.

For added life, you can buy a gapless turbine seal ring off Ebay, I put one on my van and it stopped any oil leaking into the turbine housing.

You'll also need some long nose and very small circlip pliers to remove the circlips holding the bearings in place.

You'll need compressed air, oil and a very clean work space. You can hold the turbine wheel nut in a vice to tighten the compressor nut-DO NOT use loctite.
1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!

Last edited by turbovanman; 09-15-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
mattcucu
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
Buy an OEM rebuild kit or a decent aftermarket kit-they do exist. You should take it apart first and measure the bearings/turbine shaft as it could have been rebuilt already and it might have oversize holes in the housing or undersize turbine shaft.

Next, if it has a 12 point nut, it doesn't need rebalancing if the turbine wheel is undamaged and you are just replacing the compressor wheel.

For added life, you can buy a gapless turbine seal ring off Ebay, I put one on my van and it stopped any oil leaking into the turbine housing.

You'll also need some long nose and very small circlip pliers to remove the circlips holding the bearings in place.

You'll need compressed air, oil and a very clean work space. You can hold the turbine wheel nut in a vice to tighten the compressor nut-DO NOT use loctite.

May be a dumb question but where can i find the rebuild kits
Old 09-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcucu View Post
May be a dumb question but where can i find the rebuild kits
I bought a rebuild kit on Ebay for my GM-5

You have to do some looking but they are out there
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in