First of it's kind : Chipped OBD2 6.5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine > 6.5/6.2 High Performance Engine Modifications
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5/6.2 High Performance Engine Modifications High Performance Turbocharger and Engine Related Modifications Discussion Forum - Specific To The GM 6.2 & 6.5 Diesel Engine.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
quadstar87
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

First of it's kind : Chipped OBD2 6.5

Well, I think it's the first of it's kind. Never saw anyone do it before, and if they did, it was kept a secret.

We had to pull the chips off the board to read them for reverse engineering, so we installed sockets on 3 of them for R&D in case we get a bad flash on them or something. This is all SMT board work with a HAKKO hot air station and I'm setup to do more of these in the future now.

I'll also be doing Real-Time tune development via the Moates emulator since we know the algorithm to scramble the data onto a valid file. It's much more involved than playing with OBD1.

Thanks to PaleyJim for the R&D boards

Quadstar Tuned '94 C1500 ECSB 6.5TD 4l80E. DS4-5068S. Billet 60mm Turbo with external gate, OBDII converted w/ Bluetooth VPW data stream & Edge EAS Competition Data Logging.
Quadstar Tuned '98 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5TD 4L80E. DS4-5068S. Fully studded 506 with Optimizer heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
88 ford
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Will the setup be capable of multiple tunes? What is the difference between this setup and flashing the PCM?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
jake757
Diesel Starter

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

is this going to be as custom as tunes that take different size turbo, gearing, tire size, etc into consideration or is it just going to be telling the pump to dump more fuel. Also im sure everyone is going to want to know how much its going to lighten their wallet. Sounds like a good start off into the unknown (or known by very few haha).
Relocated PMD to bumper with FSD heatsink and accurate diesel 72" harness Black pmd
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Fass Dmax lift pump
---------------------------------------------------
Motor Rebuilt @ 148,900, all new bearings, freeze plugs, etc
New glowplugs, GP controller, GP Harness, Injector lines, fuel lines, fuel tank, sending unit, radiator, Exhaust manifolds, crossover, thermostats, 5/8" ground braid, Motor mounts. 6-16-16 - Rebuilt transmission!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
quadstar87
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 ford View Post
Will the setup be capable of multiple tunes? What is the difference between this setup and flashing the PCM?
This was necessary to reverse engineer and understand the architecture used to make the PCM function. And yes the additional benefit is that this COULD be capable of multiple tunes since we can add additional hardware in a safe repeatable fashion with the proper tools of the trade. Still in the R&D stage on the switcher and chip emulation. Stay tuned for updates in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake757 View Post
is this going to be as custom as tunes that take different size turbo, gearing, tire size, etc into consideration or is it just going to be telling the pump to dump more fuel. Also im sure everyone is going to want to know how much its going to lighten their wallet. Sounds like a good start off into the unknown (or known by very few haha).
This allows custom tuning and entire operating system updates. I'm looking into custom firmware changes that nobody has accomplished before in addition to standard tune/tweaking of the tables and things that are available in stock firmware.

Tuning is mostly changing parameters within the tolerances allowed. Firmware updates COULD allow those tolerances and behaviors to be modified. Effects of those changes would be similar to changes on other platforms that allow different injectors, addition of electric fan control outputs, 3 bar map sensor additions, etc.

Quadstar Tuned '94 C1500 ECSB 6.5TD 4l80E. DS4-5068S. Billet 60mm Turbo with external gate, OBDII converted w/ Bluetooth VPW data stream & Edge EAS Competition Data Logging.
Quadstar Tuned '98 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5TD 4L80E. DS4-5068S. Fully studded 506 with Optimizer heads.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
sportsman7
Diesel Apprentice

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
quadstar87
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 ford View Post
I forgot to mention that the main difference between this and just flashing is that I can do R&D changes in real time via chip emulation. This is something nobody has done in the OBD2 6.5 before. Everything out there is a mail order type flashed tune and it's very hard to create a good tune via flashing each change with the truck shut off then going out to test.

The end product would still be a flashed tune for most applications because you'd only need to do board soldering for a switcher type setup. Some have been fairly successful in creating setups that work for some people but emulation and data logging are what allow you to create truly unique and safe tunes.

No price or anything yet. I'm not a vendor currently and this is still in development.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
jake757
Diesel Starter

Good work Quadstar! Now you got me anxious for the release of this. I know this might be asking alot but is there an ETA on the release of this?
Relocated PMD to bumper with FSD heatsink and accurate diesel 72" harness Black pmd
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Fass Dmax lift pump
New glowplugs, GP controller, GP Harness, Injector lines, fuel lines, fuel tank, sending unit, radiator, Exhaust manifolds, crossover, thermostats, 5/8" ground braid, Motor mounts. 6-16-16 - Rebuilt transmission!
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
ng0451
Clutch

Seriously, if you guys don't want to get interested in his tunes, I suggest you do. My current one is his, and it's just incredible.

*TOTALED 1-21-17* The Freight Train:
1995 Chevrolet K1500 6.5 Turbo Diesel: Leroy Diesel Flight Systems PMD Relo kit behind bumper, EGR Delete (F-Vin Manifolds), Leroy Diesel Braided Oil Cooler Lines, German Bosch Injectors set @2300psi, Holset HX35 w/banks big head wg controller, Walbro FRC-10 from Leroy Diesel, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, Feed The Beast Mod, Quadstar Tuning Single Hot Street HX35 Tune, 3" Downpipe, 4" Diamond Eye Exhaustw/8" MBRP tip, K47 box with 4" piping, Glowshift Black Series Boost, EGT, and Trans Temp, 3.42 gears (GU6 rear end)

If you want to follow my build, follow my instagram; @pretty_fly_for_an_lly
Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
jake757
Diesel Starter

Well how do i come about acquiring one of these said tunes? BTW ng0451 i looked at your instagram and the truck looks smokin!
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Fass Dmax lift pump
Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
quadstar87
Diesel Expert

I'm not a site vendor so I'm not pushing anything on here. Just sharing what i'm working on. I'm planning to complete R&D by end of summer at this pace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in