Question: Air in fuel filter, stalling, no start. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By k9duramax

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kidsfirstdiesel
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Air in fuel filter, stalling, no start.

Hey, I'm new to this site and the diesel world but today's amount of abundand information floating around the Internet has helped me figure out most problems related to my 6.5 turbo diesel yukon. It's a 1994 and it sucks air into the fuel filter, when it stalls or refuses to start. I have to get out and purge the fuel filter by opening that valve on the top of it, pressurized air shoots out then I close it when fuel follows. It starts with no problem after that, I'm wondering why there is air in the fuel system! I replaced the fuel lifter pump and there is no fuel leaking out anywhere, not a drop. But the line that connects to the rubber hose coming out of the tank is badly rusted, no fuel leaking out though! Please could someone tell me what might be causing air in my fuel system and if a cracked fuel line wouldn't leak? There is pressure in the fuel filter when I purge it and pressure in the tank when I open the cap.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
k9duramax
Diesel Pro

You probably either have a bad, or improper cap. There should be no pressure when opening the cap. To see if it is the cause, run it a short bit with the cap cracked way open, if not off.

If it is the cap, make sure you get the correct one, there are MANY horror stories of parts stores giving out gas caps instead of diesel caps.

Last edited by k9duramax; 06-18-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kidsfirstdiesel
Heat Sink

Thanks for the fast reply,
so I'll run it with the cap open a bit until I can get a vented one, would that cause so much air in my fuel system though? My truck stalls and it's hard to start at least twice a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
k9duramax
Diesel Pro

Just running it with the cap off for a bit is just a test to make sure that is what the problem is for this, however you will want to take care of it as if it gets too bad I have seen tanks collapse and suck in and actually ruined a sending unit on top of it- very expensive (a cap vs a cap, tank, and sending unit$$$$$$$$). If it solves the issue, get a cap ASAP, however as I said it would be best to get one anyway the way it sounds. Too much air in there isn't the issue, it is the vacuum created from the plugged/bad cap.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kidsfirstdiesel
Heat Sink

Ok so that saves my tank and sending unit, how do you think air is making it's way into my fuel filter causing my engine to stall and not restart unless I purge the air? Is it possible to have a hole/ crack in my fuel lines small enough to not leak fuel out but suck air in?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
k9duramax
Diesel Pro

I wonder if it is sucking fuel back with the vacuum?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
reapersquadron
Diesel Starter

Oh I wonder if this could be part of my problem with air bubbles getting in my system. I bought a locking diesel cap but it doesn't say diesel on it and there is a slight woosh of air when ever I take the cap off but nothing like some things I have read. Perhaps this is causing the slightly rusted fuel sending unit lines to suck in air as well. Should I just drill a small hole in my cap? I want to keep it a locking cap because diesel is nice and expensive and I don't trust people around here.
-K&N Stock filter, Dual thermostat and high flow water pump ,Bumper mounted PMD (Big heatsink), OPS and relay mod, 8 Acdelco GP's, Napa Echlin GP Relay, Fuel feed and return lines, 93' lift pump, Napa crossover pipe, 2 3/4 straight piped with 3" custom bent side turnout , LT245/75/16 BFgoodrich Commercial T/A A/S tires, 4 Rancho RS5000's, Monroe steering stabilizer, FEY Diamond plate rear bumper, Herculined front and rear bumper (doing bed soon)

"Heat is your friend but also your worst enemy"
"Reading and spell checking your post can go a long way"
Old 07-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

Have you verified that the Lift Pump, Lift Pump Relay Circuit and OPS are all functioning as they should?
An inop/faulty Lift Pump will often expose air leaks that would otherwise be no problem.
I know that on OBD1 models, an air leak can exactly mimic the symptoms of a faulty IP, OS, and/or PMD, including producing DTC's indicating as much.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

I would replace the fuel return hose from the IP with some clear fuel line and run the engine while watching for bubbles.
Then try adding a piece of fuel line to the suction side of the LP and put the other end in a 5 gallon can of diesel and repeat the test for bubbles.

The suction side of the LP is often the source for air entry from holes in the lines or sending unit above the fuel level in the tank.

Although like Mr Kennedy mentioned high vacuum could be pulling the fuel back to the tank.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy95 View Post
Have you verified that the Lift Pump, Lift Pump Relay Circuit and OPS are all functioning as they should?
An inop/faulty Lift Pump will often expose air leaks that would otherwise be no problem.
I know that on OBD1 models, an air leak can exactly mimic the symptoms of a faulty IP, OS, and/or PMD, including producing DTC's indicating as much.
X2, this is what I would do first.

Also verify that there is no leak out of the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. It is hard to see since it is buried under everything else. There is an o-ring there that is usually worn out with age. Cause it to drip slowly plus it can intro air into system overnight.

Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in