DIY Water Mist Injection system install, w/pics (MPG Boost Project) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

DIY Water Mist Injection system install, w/pics (MPG Boost Project)

This is a long post split into two parts because of forum image count limitations. It will be of interest to anyone who has ever thought about a water mist injection system either for the purpose of lower EGT's, lower IAT's or increased fuel mileage. It uses only a few parts that I actually hard to order online (mainly the nozzles and boost switch), and mostly uses parts that can be found on the shelf at your local air/hydraulic shop, agriculture or RV supply, and/or hardware store.

This thread is a follow up to a lengthy discussion of water mist injection on the 6.5 from this thread:

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=417460

After deciding to take a pass on a hydrogen injection system (because of widely publicized detonation issue with HHO and the 6.5) my attention turned to WMI - Water Mist Injection.

I wanted the system primarily for it's fuel economy benefits, with lower EGT's/IAT's and engine cooling benefits while towing also in mind - I spend a LOT of time towing every summer with double trailers and IAT's have always been a challenge, with engine cooling also being a challenge on some long/extreme grades. Although the fuel economy aspect has never been studied in depth with the 6.5 in specific, a moderate MPG improvement with injecting water alone has been proven in other diesels. In the end, this system amounted to a huge experiment.

I looked around at many, many options for kits..and it all came back to $$$$ - it was easy to spend well over $500-$750 or more for a full optioned kit. Hoping for a 1-3MPG fuel economy outcome, the return on investment was WAY too long. I knew I could source some parts (mainly, the nozzles) from WMI suppliers, and get most of the rest off the shelf locally...so this is the way I went.

- The tanks were obtained for free from one of my customers at work- score big $$$ savings right there. These are LARGE tanks, but given how I intend to have the system active quite a lot (not just while pulling grades like many setup their system for) I need to carry a considerable amount of water since my system will be basically injecting 100% of the time while the wheels are turning. With some resourcefulness it's possible to pickup something to carry your water at little or no cost.

- I decided to use small PEX plastic line to feed from my water tank(s) in the bed of my truck. This was the same line that WMI kits use beyond the compressor/pump anyways, so I saw no reason to not use it for the ENTIRE system. Benefit: 50 foot roll for $11.

- The couplers, fittings, quick connectors, etc were all sourced from my local Princess Auto. For the USA members, I'm guessing there is an equivalent store with the same assortment. I spent a surprising amount of money on all of the above (probably about $50) but I ended up with a very modular system as a result - nothing is difficult to replace - if a line is damaged somehow I can zip it out and replace it entirely in about mere minutes.

- I opted to use a solenoid from Princess Auto as well to ensure positive water flow cutoff. $20, versus $40 or more from WMI suppliers online, not including shipping. Solenoid was specifically specified to handle liquids as well as air - important, since some are rated air-only.

- Most importantly, the pump. I utilized a simple agricultural pump capable of 75 PSI maximum. AG-Pumps are built to withstand chemicals (versus an RV pump which is not) so should I decide to add alcohol to my system later it won't be a problem.

Yes, 75 PSI is MUCH lower than most pumps for WMI kits generate, but I was very careful to ensure that I spec'd the nozzles accordingly, and was able to find a supplier that assured me their nozzles misted fully at only 40 PSI above boost levels. Since I run about 13 PSI Boost max, I only needed a pump capable of generating at least 53 PSI (simple math), so 75 works just fine.

Sure enough, when bench testing, even at only 30 PSI of water pressure (before we turned the pump up) it provided an excellent fine mist from the nozzles.

Benefit: Only cost $99. I kick myself for having missed it on sale as only a week or two back it was on sale for $79! The USA based members can probably find these pumps for $60-$80 routinely, I suspect.

The only thing I ordered from a WMI supply house was the nozzles, and a simple boost control switch. Total cost was around $25.

I opted for 3 nozzles, with intention of running two at a time, with one of those two on a shut-off valve. I ordered a 10GPH, a 5GPH, and a 7GPH. We used the 10 and the 5 to begin with and the 7 was for experimentation purposes.

So, this afternoon, once again with fellow DP member Racer55 (and his most excellent workshop!) we started the install. Lets get started with the pics:

My water jugs. Not bad for free, and they fit nicely in front of and behind my fifth wheel. The bed rails for the fifth wheel, along with some cheap ratchet straps make for perfect (and easy) mounting in the bed of the truck.

Here they are mounted in the bed. Excuse the bed, it's rather dirty, picture was taken at night and I hadn't cleaned things up, but you get the idea. A 2x4 to keep them aligned, and a few ratchet straps looped through my fifth wheel bed rails and they are secure.

Quick-connector threaded into the bung of one of my water jugs:

As mentioned, these were the sorts of fittings that added cost to my build, but they have the huge advantage of being easily connected/disconnected and making the system 100% modular.

Removed intake manifold in preparation for drilling the holes for the nozzles:

The intake manifold gasket was just fine upon removal. Ironically I did have a spare around my garage somewhere, but couldn't find it when I looked. Never needed it afterall.

Manifold off and center punched in prep for drilling:

Pump out of box, getting ready to hookup gauge to check pressure and then to bolt in.

Another view of the pump with the pressure regulator at the end. Notice more quick connect fittings:

Here's the relay I used to feed power to the entire kit and kaboodle. For those who remember my ill-fated glowplug override circuit, this is the same relay. It was still under my hood and wired to a switch on my dash, so it was screaming to be repurposed. Saved me some wiring.

So, I ran the PEX line through the same hole in the front of my bed that my fifth wheel electrical wiring goes through. Here's the spare I had - as you can see, 50 feet goes a long way. Yes, my truck bed is a mess - I had just dropped off a load of garbage at the dump on the way up to Racer's.

PEX line heading forward:

I ended up running the line forward through the same brackets that carry the emergency brake cable. Nicely grommeted, and lots of space to spare:

In the drivers side wheel well it pops nicely up off the frame and into the engine compartment.

...then I stopped to admire Racer55's new hoist.

Did I mention we had a roaring fire going in the fireplace and it was cozy warm inside while it pissed rain outdoors?

Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!

Last edited by PrivatePilot; 03-24-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Broken pic links fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

<continued>

Yep, this sure beats working in the rain!

So, back to work.... Here's the intake manifold with the nozzles in place:

Sorry, blurry pic, but another view. The third nipple on the bottom is the hookup point for my boost gauge.

Pump temporarily plumbed in and testing. Notice the not yet hooked up solenoid at bottom of pic:

Intake manifold replaced. Better view of the nozzles. We decided to stagger them slightly so that they didn't spray into each other.

Starting to come together.

Pump mounted. We used one existing hold in a mounting bracket, and drilled another small hole for a second bolt.

Pump and solenoid now mounted with basic rough hookups done.

Another view:

Shut-off valve on one of the 2 lines:

Line hooked to nozzles and rough fit:

Last minute finishing touches, adjusting pressure switch:

The guts of the system - the pump. As mentioned, this is a relatively low cost agricultural pump. The agricultural model is important since the diaphragm is designed to resist chemicals such as methanol - the "RV" models of these pumps are not designed for anything aside from water and the diaphragm will fail IF you decide to use alcohol in your system. If you only plan on using water then an RV model pump would be fine so long as it has a 100% duty cycle - not all may be such equipped.

I will get a few more pics tomorrow of the tanks mounted in place, as well as the pressure switch.

So..hows it all wired? The previously installed relay and switch for my glow plug override was repurposed since it was no longer needed.

The toggle switch in the truck now feeds power TO the pressure switch. As long as there is no boost (idle, or engine is shut off) there is no chance of the pump running, nor even having the relay powered by accident. The pressure switch was set to 2 PSI, and when triggered, sends power to the large relay, as well as the solenoid. The pump comes on and the solenoid opens at the exact same moment when boost pressures reach 2PSI.

Despite the small diameter PEX hose the pump had NO issues priming and pumping copious amounts of water during the testing.

Once all hooked up, I opened the small valve we installed so the system was getting 15 GPH total - 10GPH from the large nozzle we installed, and 5 GPH from the smaller of the two nozzles. I wanted to test and see exactly how much water you could feed a 6.5 without it stumbling.

The first bit of the test drive was interesting. It's pretty clear that the first time the system came on the engine was being cleaned from the inside out - a LOT of crap and smoke was exiting the tailpipe. I can see who engines that use WMI are always so sparking clean inside if torn down later.

After a few miles it settled down. Still a noticeable amount of steam exiting the tailpipe when injecting 15GPH at lower to moderate RPM's and load.

So, here's the results:

15 GPH at low RPM will cause the occasiona miss and stumble. At higher RPM's or loads (towing, for example) it handles it just fine.

Turning the valve to the 5GPH nozzle OFF and running strictly on the 10GPH nozzle completely stops all stumbling. This is what I will be using for my "Miles per gallon" nozzle, while manually turning on the secondary 5GPH nozzle while towing. I suspect given the higher loads demanded of the engine while towing will result in no issues with a steady 15 GPH spray. I will report back as we will be towing our fifth wheel some distance the upcoming long weekend.

EGT's according to my OBDII dashboard display were notably lower than they would otherwise have been. More notable even was the lowered engine operating temperature and oil temperatures.

I drove the truck home (About 30 minutes between my house and Racer's house) and it consumed a surprising amount of water. I actually ran out about 5 minutes from home. I need to do more testing before narrowing down if it's consumption is inline with the nozzle sizes or if I have a leak somewhere under the hood...but I entirely expect this sort of setup to consume a LOT of water. Kits containing tiny water jugs would be utterly useless for a MPG-focused system like this, so you need to be prepared to commit to carrying a LOT of water. I only have one jug plumbed in at the moment but the second jug can be plumbed in with only a few small changes, made super easy by the quick connect PEX fittings.

Total investment was about $200 including EVERYTHING.

I will be following up with this thread routinely as I have more data to share, especially in regards to fuel economy.

Once again, a HUGE thank you to Racer55 for usage of his shop, tools, and expertise. While I was working on mounting the pumps and wiring things up he single handedly drilled the intake and had all the nozzles installed, and then we tackled the hookup together. It REALLY beat the alternative which was trying to squeeze the front end of my truck in my garage while it pissed rain outdoors.

Last edited by PrivatePilot; 03-24-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
IamDave0887
A Country Boy Can Survive...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Just one recommendation Mark.

That solenoid you used. Is it a continuous duty solenoid? It doesn't look to be. The non-continuous duty solenoids are only good for about 30-45 seconds of continuous use as they get hot very quick and will fail.

The most i was ever able to get out of one was about 2 minutes straight before it was so hot i couldn't touch it. It was also so dead that it belonged in the trash can.

They do make continuous duty relays, you just have to find them. I've seen the continuous duty ones on some websites listed under "contactors".

'96 GMC C2500HD RCLB 6.5T/4L80E, Heath FSD,GL4,T/M, 5" stacks 201K miles AMS
OIL - Christine

'85 K-5 Blazer 379T Detroit Diesel, SM465/NP208 . body - 122K engine - ??? AMSOIL "The Rust Bucket" - Cora

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Member #1 of the TLFTN Club - Loud And Proud.
BrotherHood of Handshakers #170
W/T Grille Club Member #2.

Reg Cab Club Member #73.
CT Smoke Member #20.
Steaksauce Hater club member #19

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the Problem. - Ronald Reagan

6.5 FAQs - Click Here
Diagnostic Checklist - Click Here
Create/Edit Signature -Click Here
If you wish to send me a PM about how pissed off you Are Click Here

Last edited by IamDave0887; 05-16-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

It was not specified continious duty or not on the packaging...but I know it works just fine - I use an exact duplicate on our fifth wheel to control the house inverter which draws about 100amps at peak, and we routinely leave it on all night long to power or TV in the evening (after retiring for bed) and then fans (for overnight sleeping) while dry camping in locations without power.

The relay gets warm (not really hot), but has been installed and functional since last spring without any issues despite many, many 12+ hour periods of being energized/closed.

I did place this relay at fault of cooking my glow plugs (for those who remember that story) but best as I can figure it was because the relay temporarily arc'd itself in the closed position due to the high amp draw beyond it's rating.

I've tested the relay since without any signs of problems. Even if by some fluke it did stick in the closed position again no water would make it into the intake anyways as the cutoff solenoid is wired separately from this relay and keeps a physical barrier between the pump/water and intake when it's in the closed position.

Last edited by PrivatePilot; 05-16-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Six5ive
Heat Sink

this is great! did you buy the pump from? part number? think im going to do this weekend, what was your total install time? Thanks again for all this great info, nice work.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Install time is tough to judge for this job since we tend to talk as much as work when projects get underway,and not always both at the same time!

Also there was seldom room for 2 people at once to work so the bulk of the wiring was left to privatepilot while I spent time searching my badly cluttered shop for odds and ends that were needed.

I have yet to get a place for everything and everything in it's place since there was a lot of inherited small parts and tools from my dads garage recently moved in and left on the floor(still many other jobs to get done before the shop can take priority).

We started at approximately 2:30pm and wrapped things up with a road test around 7:00pm.So about 4 1/2 hours but that falls more to my shop being disorganized than the effort needed.
Time spent searching for tap drills and me running errands and tool hunts to my parents place accounted for a certain amount of lost time and allowing for sunday afternoon breaks and visiting account for the rest.
You could probably get the job done in less time,just not sure how much less with a vendor supplied kit?
I will be doing this along with many other projects to my truck when time permits so we shall see what is involved with my Cooling Mist kit then.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions

Last edited by racer55; 05-16-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

I was just informed that the second part of my thread was not showing to the general membership - I had placed the posts in a queue while I edited them for public consumption, and apparently I failed to properly release the second part of my thread!

For anyone who read the first post, scroll back up and read the second part..things will probably make a whole lot more sense, not to mention the rest of the pictures and details are there!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Renegade65
Smokin' Daily

Send a message via AIM to Renegade65 Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade65

Looks good! Can't wait to hear how it works!

6.5 TD Late 99 506 Block - Holset Hx-40w - 4'' Single To 3'' Dual's - 4 Banger Chip - Duramax Fan/Clutch - HO Water Pump With Single AC Delco T-Stat - Bosch Injectors Set at 2250 Psi - Bosch Duraterms - Banks Ram Air Intake - Walbro FRC-10 Lift Pump - -8AN SS Fuel Lines - Racor Filters - Standyne Grey PMD Mounted In Bumper
Mobil 1 5w-40
Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

Got the first highway run on it this morning on the way to work. I turned off the 5GPH nozzle so I was running strictly the 10GPH nozzle for my 25 kilometer commute.

I will have to adjust the pressure switch as I've decided that it's coming on too early and at extreme low RPM it causes the engine to load up. In order to get it to clear I have to put my foot into it pretty good which will quickly negate any MPG benefits.

I'll adjust it upwards after work for the drive home.

A co-worker who followed me a short distance this morning advises my truck smells like a locomotive now. Quite strong and noxious, apparently! The steam cleaning of the interior of the engine is really knocking loose a LOT of crap still, obviously.

My trip computer indicates a reduced fuel consumption but I'm nowhere near ready to believe it yet - I will need to collect a lot more data (over a lot more time / distance) before I'll commit any numbers here.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six5ive View Post
this is great! did you buy the pump from? part number? think im going to do this weekend, what was your total install time? Thanks again for all this great info, nice work.
The pump was also sourced from Princess Auto, a Canadian store similar to Harbor Freight in the USA. I don't have the part number specifically but will post some pictures of the box this evening.

It's just a plain agricultural chemical pump designed for sprayers.

It's rated for 70 PSI maximum but we did manage to get it up to about 80 PSI on the gauge when I cranked up the pressure switch on the pump. This was more than enough to provide a very fine mist using the nozzles I sourced, however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in