So whats the latest glow plug rave? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SS Duramax

So whats the latest glow plug rave?

I've searched and didn't really find any conclusive results.

I've got a 99 Hummer with a 6.5 diesel and I'm experiencing some hard starts, even with 30+ temps. She's got 44,000 miles and I run optilube winter additive and don't have any codes so I'm thinking its the glow plugs. I don't have access to a block heater plug in at work, but at home I plug her in. I don't know what glow plug's are in it now, but I want to make sure she'll start right up on the coldest winter nights. I'd rather just replace them so I know whats in there and don't have to worry about swelling or broken tips. All the hummer guys say AC 60g's, but you 6.5 guys say they take too long to heat up. What about Kennedy's "Quick heat glow plugs", any good? I've also read about WAP plugs, any good?

I can get a programmed computer to extend the glow plug on time, but probably won't do anything like that until next summer. I don't know about wiring in an extended glow plug switch either, I'd rather just cycle the plugs a few times.

So what would be the best glow plugs for my hummer and where can I get them?

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1 lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
downplanetim
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

AC delco 60g work just fine for my 92 6.2 175K miles, 95 6.5TD 293K miles below 30 degrees here at times no starting issues yet. They are little noisy for about 1-2 minutes.

UWS tool Box, Westin step bars, Rhino : Bed Liner, paint and interior protectant, under coating, diamond plate splash sheilds, chromed door and tailgate handle covers, chromed bug deflector and grill, 35% smoke front windows, black floor trays front and rear.

1995 K1500 6.5TD ECSB (handed over to my sister)
1994 Crew Cab Dually C3500 6.5L TD (sold) (bought back-parting out) 9-12-15
1992 K1500 6.2 N/A ECSB (Sold) Bought Back (SOLD)
1996 C2500 Suburban (sold)
1995 K2500 ECLB 6.5 TD
2006 F450 6.0L Bucket Truck
2006 F450 6.0L 12ft Utility Truck (Sold)

Tim Hicks 317-441-6079
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Bosch Duratherms seem to be the universally recommended "best" option for the 6.5.

AC Delco 60G's are also well recommended but require an extended runtime (upwards of 10+ seconds) to heat properly - this will require a glow override be put in place to either do so automatically, or manually.
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

x2 for Bosch Duraterm. It can be purchased from RockAuto for very good price around $60 for a set of 8.

Forget about WAP or their rebrand (Instant Heat, Super Heat, High Heat, etc.) They have known to fail very fast like within a couple of month. This is only valid for 6.5 WAP.

As for hard start, make sure your Lift Pump is good. It is also a sign of failing PMD.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator

Last edited by JMJNet; 12-03-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJNet View Post
x2 for Bosch Duraterm. It can be purchased from RockAuto for very good price around $60 for a set of 8.

Forget about WAP or their rebrand (Instant Heat, Super Heat, High Heat, etc.) They have known to fail very fast like within a couple of month. This is only valid for 6.5 WAP.

As for hard start, make sure your Lift Pump is good. It is also a sign of failing PMD.
PMD is a d-tech and is about a month old.

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1 lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Duramax View Post
PMD is a d-tech and is about a month old.
Unfortunately, a month old does not mean a thing even a day old does not mean that it cannot fail. Lately, Dtech are having trouble making reliable PMD. They were good at the beginning but seems that the quality had gone down the drain.
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 12-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Apprentice

Alright, so I just emailed the last owner and apparently it already has 60g's in it, about 1 1/2 years old, also I had the starter rebuilt less than 4 months ago. I don't have another PMD to change out so I can't check the current one, but this hard starting feels like a glow plug issue. What else can it be?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Don't rule out the glow plugs - all it takes is one boost using a fast charger to have possibly cooked some of them - GP's don't like high voltages.

There was actually a decal under the hood (if it's still there) that mentions that 6.5 equipped trucks should not be high-rate boosted for this very reason.

It's possible the PO (or perhaps even yourself, have you ever boosted/fast charged it?) inadventently damaged some of the GP's. The only way to 100% confirm would be to get an ohm meter and check them all out - the diagnostic procedure is very easy and will tell you for sure if the GP's are good or bad.

Also, 60G's require 10 seconds to heat up to proper temperature for startup - is the Wait To Start light staying on (solid) this long? Chances are the GP controller wasn't modified when the 60G's were installed and it's still cycling based on the original programming - which is inadequate for 60G's. Even cycling the key on and off won't provide adequate glow time for 60G's as the cycles after the first will be very short.

A glowplug override circuit is fairly easy to install if you are electrically handy...and then you can cycle the plugs for as long as you please before cranking - hold them on for 10-12 seconds and then start cranking (while leaving them on) and I think you may have a whole new startup experience. The 60G's are self-regulating so there's no worry about burning them out by overriding to a long cycle.
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!

Last edited by PrivatePilot; 12-04-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

The moral of the story on my post #6 is the same as privatepilot said, "Test everything again". PO may have rebuilt starter, what was changed when it was rebuilt? Probably the answer is "don't know". Things can go wrong very fast, thorough check is the only way to eliminate possible bad parts. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the truck so you have to do the test yourself.

The diagnostic checklist, while it is not perfect, is a good way for people to test parts systematically without missing anything.

Who knows your problem may be the Lift Pump?
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in