1997 Suborban F VIN Hard Start/Air in Fuel? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By acesneights1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
bgiovan
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

1997 Suborban F VIN Hard Start/Air in Fuel?

Hard start w/white smoke which IIRC is unburnt fuel from glowing. Started to replace the glows myself, got to the third from front on driver's side, broke the head of the mother off and well had to call in the cavalry. At any rate, 7 new Bosch GPs later and still hard start. My guy said he checked out the GP system and all is (now) well (for the 7 remaining, the last one will have to wait for a head pull).

Went under the hood & was able to get it to start quickly by letting air out of t-valve under hood. Suspects air coming in the fuel line somehow. Can anyone expand on that fix/issue for me? Where would air be getting in the system? TIA

Last edited by bgiovan; 10-17-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
rbtaylor14
Diesel Starter

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiovan View Post
Hard start w/white smoke which IIRC is unburnt fuel from glowing. Started to replace the glows myself, got to the third from front on driver's side, broke the head of the mother off and well had to call in the cavalry. At any rate, 7 new Bosch GPs later and still hard start. My guy said he checked out the GP system and all is (now) well (for the 7 remaining, the last one will have to wait for a head pull).

Went under the hood & was able to get it to start quickly by letting air out of t-valve under hood. Suspects air coming in the fuel line somehow. Can anyone expand on that fix/issue for me? Where would air be getting in the system? TIA
Ben check this out it might help it did me. https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=393940

1994 GMC Sierra 1500 Vin "S"
6.5L Turbo 192,500 miles
New 60g's Glow Plugs at 192,500
Relocated PMD #9 resistor
Custom Waste-gate bracket to increase boost
BD 3" Downpipe,Strait Pipe, Suspension upgraded to 1 ton, High Idle hooked to ECM
New Transmission at 189,000 miles built to be bullet proof.

Diagnostic Checklist <----------
The Official GM 6.5 TD "Newbie" FAQ <-----------
Edit Signature <----------------
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
bgiovan
Glow Plug

Thanks RB. Did a plain old Google search and came up with the following: http://flashoffroad.com/Diesel/troub...oubleshoot.htm

Any thoughts on: "I had a hard starting fuel starvation problem. It turned out to be a swollen o-ring in my check valve above the fuel tank. It was the last thing mentioned to me because it is such a low probability cause"

Also, other threads on this board mention coolant sensor. Where is this located at?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiovan View Post

Often when there is air in the fuel system it is caused by a pinhole or rusty fuel line between the fuel level in the tank and the lift pump.

The sending units can be prone to rust through the lines right on top of the tank and have been known to get holes inside the tank on the line that is immersed in the fuel.
Something as simple as a lost o-ring on the fuel line where it enters the lift pump during LP replacement can cause the problem.

When the sending unit has a hole inside the tank the truck will run fine until the fuel level drops below the point where the hole is and then air will be drawn into the system.

Ordinarily any hole after the lift pump results in a leak since the fuel is under pressure at that point.
Holes before the lift pump introduce air since that side of the LP is under suction.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Have you checked that your LP is working?
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
bgiovan
Glow Plug

LP is brand new (SS Diesel) and is working. Just replaced it a few weeks ago. I was having issues previously and since it was original I replaced it. Is it odd that when I replaced the LP no fuel leaked out? I expected a deluge and frankly got nothing out of the tank side line.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Whenever air is suspect in the fuel system the problem will be found between the fuel tank and the influent side of the LP. You won't have a leak on the effluent side because if you did, you would see fuel. That said the best thing to do is go back to basics. Take the fuel line off at the IP. Get a barbed union(Plastic or brass for temp test doesn't matter ) and some cheap clear tubing (about 2 ft or so)the same size as the fuel line form tractor supply, hardware store home depot..whatever. don't worry about it being rated for fuel as again, this is just for testing. Barb the clear tubing into the existing fueline. Now take the other side of the clear tubing and put it in a coffee can or something and run the LP until the line is purged and full of fuel. Hook it to the IP without losing fuel in it(best you can). Start the egine and rev for a few minute to purge remaining air. Now sit there and watch the fuel go buy. Have someone race it up while watching(not crazy RPMs) If you see ANY air bubbles, you got a leak. This procedure is called sightglassing and it is LAW when working on ANY diesel engine suspect of fuel problems. Now if you have no bubbles then you are good to go. If you have bubbles the next step is to disconnect the fuel line from the INFLUENT side of the LP and make yourself a nice hose and get a fitting to go into the LP(Most auto parts stores carry a fueline repair kit which is a short piece of metal line with the proper fitting) Now run that hose into a can of fresh clean diesel(Not gas or it go boom!!). Again disconnect line from IP(with clear tubing still in place) and run the LP and purge as much air as possible and prime. Hook the line back to the IP. repeat procedure discussing before and run engine. This will confirn where your problem is. If you now get no bubbles (which will most likely be the case) you now need to look at the fuel line all along the frame and right up to and inclue=ing the sending unit and pickup tube.

Some people like to put th clear tubing on the return side of the IP but this is the way I have always done it. Rememeber the ar leak can only be between the LP and the tank unless you got something really weird like a dead LP and the truck is pulling fuel by the transfer pump in the IP and there is a leak to that IP. That is a very very unlikely scenario as hopefully as a competent mechani you have already performed LP tests.

1986 M1008 CUCV 6.2 J code
GM8 Turbo,DB24911
Raptor 100 lp.
NV4500(the way they should have come)
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Serp Belt conversion. HO WP. Dmax Fan
OD Customs 6.2/5 Diesel and MV Vehicle service

Last edited by acesneights1; 10-18-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
bgiovan
Glow Plug

Thanks for the intel Ace. Competent? Not so much. Daring, sadly yes! Really appreciate all the intel and will continue to hunt and destroy. I know there's a large school that says fixing by replacing one item at a time until you find the cause is expensive and that of course is true. My wife and kids are in this rig on a daily basis and with 146k and 13 years on it, things are going to need to be replaced just as a matter of course. I plan on keeping this one for a while so not afraid to do things right. That said, this one sounds like more of a pain in the *** than expensive as I've already replaced the IP, LP and OPS within the past month or so (for other reasons, the IP was bad when I bought it).

Last edited by bgiovan; 10-18-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
atikovi
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesneights1 View Post
Take the fuel line off at the IP. Get a barbed union and some cheap clear tubing Barb the clear tubing into the existing fueline. Now take the other side of the clear tubing and put it in a coffee can or something and run the LP until the line is purged and full of fuel. Hook it to the IP without losing fuel in it(best you can).
Do you mean you splice the clear tubing between the filter unit and the IP? If so, how do you access it since it's under the intake? Remove the whole filter unit, install the tubing, then put it back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in