optical bump - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
countrycoach
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to countrycoach Send a message via MSN to countrycoach

optical bump

OK I have done a search and tried to lear something but all I did was get confused. I don't know all the abreveations and timing mumbo jumbo. All I want to know is who can perform this for me, how much would it cost me, what kind of gains will I expect, fuel millage, and last but not least will it hurt my engine. I don't want this to start into another war of knowledge I just want to know the basics above.

oh yea and one more thing, what do I tell the dude at whatever shop I take it to do?

All the discription of my rig is in my sig....

! New Truck !
1997 Chevrolet K2500 ext. cab long bed
Stock.... for now.

! Old Truck !
Stroke this Ford boy!
94 Chevy dually crew cab long bed 2wd w/ NV4500. Heath power chip, boost controller, K&N, 3" down pipe, 2.5 Cross-over pipe, 5 inch stacks, no muffler, no cat, no vacume pump, custom gauge install, fast idle, relocated pmd w/ #7 resistor, modified intake, optical bump, two 10" memphis subs, directed 1100D amp, memphis mids and highs, and custom poted box behind seat, 15 psi and 192rwhp 509 ft/lb for now!!

Member #13 of the fake revolution!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Firefighter
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You are probably better off doing it yourself if you have any mechanical knowledge at all. It is really easy, and you can't really hurt your motor as long as you don't do something really silly to the bolts you have to turn on the Injection Pump. If I was near you I'd do it for you, it only takes about 15 minute to do now that I have played around with it a bit. I'm sure someone on here will give you a hand with it.

SOLD! 2004 GMC CC/SB LB7,
EFI LIVE with DSP 5 by Kory, SDP Twins, Mike L. Stage IV Allison and Precision Industries M.L. Converter - Thanks Mike! , Airdog II 165, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, Autometer Boost and Pyro, PPE High Idle Kit, BDS 7" High clearance lift with Fox Shocks, Full Audio/Video system with 3 old school 10W6's behind the back seat!
Joined the brotherhood of the Injector Replacement Club Feb.10,2010 @ 174,200kms.

1970 Chevelle SS, 454 LS7 - warmed up a bit, TH400.

I'm Batman.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
countrycoach
Diesel Boss

Is there any way you can explain it to me over the web? I am pretty mechanical but I don't know all the abriviations and technical stuff. I just know how to take stuff off and put stuff on and things like that! lol

! New Truck !
Stock.... for now.

! Old Truck !
Stroke this Ford boy!
94 Chevy dually crew cab long bed 2wd w/ NV4500. Heath power chip, boost controller, K&N, 3" down pipe, 2.5 Cross-over pipe, 5 inch stacks, no muffler, no cat, no vacume pump, custom gauge install, fast idle, relocated pmd w/ #7 resistor, modified intake, optical bump, two 10" memphis subs, directed 1100D amp, memphis mids and highs, and custom poted box behind seat, 15 psi and 192rwhp 509 ft/lb for now!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
wild willy
Glow Plug

countrycoach I just had a dude do it for me and use his tech II to set the hole thing up and it cost me a buck sixty five. He had some special wrenches that look like an S curve and slightly offset. I wasn't there while he did the deed but just as he was cleaning up. It is set at -1.94 for TDC offset and it seems to run well. Started easier and hard to tell it seems to have less smoke on startup.
EGT, Tranny Temp & Boost Gages, K&N Filters with air mod
Kennedy Intercooler, 3" Downpipe / 4" Cat back exhaust
Kennedy '97 Water pump Mod, w/ Heath Severe Duty Clutch & D-Max fan
4L80E Tranny w/ BD TORQ LOC & Aux tranny cooler with electric fan
Heath TurboMaster @ 12# boost, vacuum pump removed and Heath, Max-E-Tork 2.0 chip
Heath PMD Isolator w/ #7 resistor, -1.94 TDC Offset = 200.8 RWHP It's Done.
" Rock 'n Roll" is here to stay! CREWZIN down the highways...
Old 07-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
countrycoach
Diesel Boss

So do you have to have the tech two? I would love to get this done tonight if I can do it my self cause tomm night is a dhra race at Rockingham Speedway and every little thing helps. Please someone let me know what to do.

Thanks John Kruckeberg

! New Truck !
Stock.... for now.

! Old Truck !
Stroke this Ford boy!

Old 07-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Firefighter
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You don't need a scanner to do it but I used a Snap-On Mt2500 to do mine. No special tools involved either. Just a socket to get the upper intake off, a screwdriver to take of the top of the pump, and a T40 or 45 socket to loosen the bolt holding the optic mount. Once you have the top off the pump, before you loosen the T40, take a scribe and put a light mark on the ring along the passenger side of the optic sensor to mark the original location. Now loosen the T40 and move the optic sensor to the passenger side about 1mm. Put it all back together (don't forget the ground wire on top of the pump cover) and see how she runs. You can repeat the steps above untill it either starts to idle rough or you get an SES light on the dash, then back it off 1mm at a time untill it runs smooth again and voila! You have now done the optic bump! If you know someone who has a scanner, it is even easier to get it bang on. You will be able to without one with a little more trial and error. Just go through the steps until you have no SES light, rough idle, or driveability issues like studders or such at various speeds.

SOLD! 2004 GMC CC/SB LB7,
EFI LIVE with DSP 5 by Kory, SDP Twins, Mike L. Stage IV Allison and Precision Industries M.L. Converter - Thanks Mike! , Airdog II 165, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, Autometer Boost and Pyro, PPE High Idle Kit, BDS 7" High clearance lift with Fox Shocks, Full Audio/Video system with 3 old school 10W6's behind the back seat!
Joined the brotherhood of the Injector Replacement Club Feb.10,2010 @ 174,200kms.

1970 Chevelle SS, 454 LS7 - warmed up a bit, TH400.

I'm Batman.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
countrycoach
Diesel Boss

Thanks ff I will give it a try tomm. As far as the t40 or 45 that is a torx type bit isn't it?

! New Truck !
Stock.... for now.

! Old Truck !
Stroke this Ford boy!

Old 07-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
quantum mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
countrycoach I just had a dude do it for me and use his tech II to set the hole thing up and it cost me a buck sixty five. He had some special wrenches that look like an S curve and slightly offset. I wasn't there while he did the deed but just as he was cleaning up. It is set at -1.94 for TDC offset and it seems to run well. Started easier and hard to tell it seems to have less smoke on startup.
Setting the timing range (TDCO) and the "BUMP" are two different things.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Texas Diesel Guy
Diesel Expert

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Yes, Torx 40 for the Optic sensor hold down, and Torx25 for the top cover screws.

PM me with your # if you need help when you get at it.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
countrycoach
Diesel Boss

thanks tex will do. I think I can figure it out. Right now I am chasing a low fuel presure problem.

! New Truck !
Stock.... for now.

! Old Truck !
Stroke this Ford boy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in