Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.5L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   Home made boost controller (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/347127-home-made-boost-controller.html)

T_F_E 12-31-2009 02:12 PM

I think that holding 6 psi going down the highway will hurt you fuel mileage.

cbr600rx7 12-31-2009 09:18 PM

I dont see how it would hurt your fuel mileage. Your not adding any more fuel and your making more power at a lower rpm reducing the need to steep on the gas more or down shift. In fact you may even use less fuel.

I played around a little more with it today and now have the truck peaking at about 11 psi and holding about 9 and you can fill a huge diffrence in power when in OD on the highway.

3500 sierra 01-01-2010 02:01 AM

make sure to watch your exhost gas temp. I just blew a hole through a piston in my 93' due to over boosting my engine, which helps couse more heat, there for melting the pistion down. if you dont have a pyrometer, i would highly recomend one. You should never run the truck with a exhost gas temp of over 1200-1250 deg. if it goes up over that get off the gas untill it drops down.

RCpullerdude 01-01-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_F_E (Post 3635812)
I think that holding 6 psi going down the highway will hurt you fuel mileage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7 (Post 3636359)
I dont see how it would hurt your fuel mileage. Your not adding any more fuel and your making more power at a lower rpm reducing the need to steep on the gas more or down shift. In fact you may even use less fuel.

I played around a little more with it today and now have the truck peaking at about 11 psi and holding about 9 and you can fill a huge diffrence in power when in OD on the highway.

He's right. You don't want any more than 2-5 PSI cruising empty. More than that causes un-needed drive pressure which takes more power to push out of the cylinders. Thus, you're increasing your parasitic losses of scavenging, so it takes more power to just spin the engine, increasing fuel consumption. It is for this reason that the stock 94+ vacuum system dumps boost when cruising. This is why many people have reported a loss in economy when going from the vacuum system to the TM. It is also part of the reason that I'm keeping the vacuum system and not going to a turbomaster. You're running far too much boost for running empty cruising, but unfortunatly, depending on spring, it may be the only way to get your max boost. This is another reason I like the stock 94+ system.

Excellent work on the controller though. It's something that I think has been needed for some time, making an adjustable wastegate actuator from a stock 92-93 actuator.

cbr600rx7 01-01-2010 02:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing a little more testing today and finish getting it set.

cbr600rx7 01-02-2010 12:11 AM

Did a little more testing today and turned the nut back about 2 full turns. The truck is boosting right around 4 psi at 65 MPH. She is peaking around 10 and holding about 7-8 psi at WOT. During normal driving i dont see any thing over 6 psi. I have driven about 60 miles like this today and didnt notice any loss in MPG.

I did a little off road testing as well ;) and i can say i am very happy with this little mod.

T_F_E 01-02-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7 (Post 3637780)
Did a little more testing today and turned the nut back about 2 full turns. The truck is boosting right around 4 psi at 65 MPH. She is peaking around 10 and holding about 8 at WOT. During normal driving i dont see any thing over 6 psi. I have driven about 60 miles like this today and didnt notice any loss in MPG.

I did a little off road testing as well ;) and i can say i am very happy with this little mod.

Yup that's exactly where my turbo is tuned.

cbr600rx7 01-02-2010 12:45 AM

You can see in this pic where we taped the upper manifold for the boost line. I wrapped the line in black electric tape to add some extra protection and not make the line stand out so much.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/DSC00908.jpg

And here is a better pic of the finished controller
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/DSC00906.jpg

cbr600rx7 01-06-2010 06:07 PM

Still running strong after about a week now. MPG has stayed the same so far and i have not noticed any extra oil in or around the intake or turbo.

3500 sierra 01-06-2010 11:41 PM

awsome, great work! what are you getting for mpg?