All-on Headlight Guide! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Green Machine
She Don't Smoke!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

All-on Headlight Guide!

All on Headlight Mod Guide
This is just a guideline on how to do this, there are many ways you can do this

Things you will Need:
  • Wire
  • One 30 Amp Relay
  • One 20 Amp Fuse and Fuse holder
  • Two Splice Connectors and two Spade Connectors
  • Two eye connectors
  • A couple screws (to mount devices)
Wiring Diagrams:

This is the diagram of the composite headlight system w/o driving lights.

Here is a small diagram for the headlight mod.

Lets Get Started!

1. Determine where you are going to place your fuse holder, relay, and where you are going to splice into. Cut each wire long enough. You will need to run to battery positive (with fuse), a ground of some sort (behind relay or fuse mount), and to the two spliced connections in harness.

2. Run your power wire from battery to your relay, not forgetting to install a 20 amp fuse.

3. Splice into the harness with your splice connectors. The wire colors should be Tan and Light Green. Connect your wires and run them to your relay. Installing them in the proper place on the relay (see diagram).

4. Connect all wires properly to your Relay and run the ground behind the mount for relay or fuse. Mount Relay and Fuse holder securely.

5. At this time test to make sure everything is working properly. Low beams, then when High beams are clicked on you should have both High and Low beams turned on. If it does not work properly check your fuse and make sure all your connections and ground are good. Also, make sure that you properly placed wires on the right places on the relay.

Here is how my setup looks before I taped it all up.

You may add a switch in this setup but I didn't add that in this guide as I didn't install it because I didn't want it lol.

This guide isn't completely finished, I want to get pictures of the connectors themselves for you guys and will clean up the guide a little bit sometime during the week...

Quote: "Mind over Matter - I don't mind cause you don't matter!"

Last edited by Green Machine; 09-14-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
maddogg10mm
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Great post! I was looking at doing this mod myself & this post will really help me out. Thanks

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bison
Diesel Veteran

Theres a far easyer way of doing this.

I got an old style foot dimmer switch on the floor,one wire to a Key on only power supply from the underdash convieniance center to the switch,one wire from the switch spliced into the high beam green wire in the dr side fender harnass.
This setup will also turn on the blue high beam on light in the dash.
It works fully independant from the high/low lever wich stays fully operational as well.

I installed this set up in all my GM trucks and cars for yrs allready.
Other mods, to nummerous to mention.
95 GMC SL 2500 6.5td ext cab sh box auto, 409.000 km,CDR vented to atmosfeer at 307 k, remote pmd, extra glow bypass/LP test switch, relocated OPS ,in cab fuel gauge .High idle switch,new paint.Foot dimmer swich for simultaniously high/low beam. The Wife's pride and joy.
89 GMC 2500 sle 4x4 ext cab 6.2 na stock 740000+ km, engine rebuilt at 660000 km, rusting out now, but runs like new.
Waldon Wheelloader repowered with 6.2 na.
3 tractors dsl ,72 AC 940 whj loader,ASV 4810 Positrack skidsteer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Green Machine
She Don't Smoke!

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

Bison I wouldn't consider that far easier. Just a different way of doing it. Still about the same level of difficulty, just your way eliminates the relay it looks like.

Like it says on the top of the guide, "This is just a guideline on how to do this, there are many ways you can do this"

Quote: "Mind over Matter - I don't mind cause you don't matter!"

Last edited by Green Machine; 09-14-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlueBurby1
Diesel Guru

Send a message via MSN to BlueBurby1

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Mike and I had a discussion on this before about doing this with a simply Diode as well...there's many ways to do it, and each person will find a way that each is hard and each is easy...it depends on your experience and knowledge level. as well as willingness to mess with stock wiring.
Member #2 of the TLFTN Club - Loud and Proud
DIAGNOSTIC HELP CLICK HERE
EDIT SIGNATURE HERE
BOOST CONTROL HELP CLICK HERE
CHECKLIST CLICK HERE

For Members with vehicles with PassLock or PassKey Security issues. PM for details on "Fixing" this system.
GM Parts Guy. PM for part numbers or where a part is.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
BigBlueChevy
Diesel Nut

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueChevy

Diesel Day Dreams Member

Hey Mike I'm having a problem doing this to my truck... I can't find the wires you pointed out and ironically all my lights are on anyway...

oh wait this doesn't concern me

on a more serious note -awesome writeup. A+

1998 Chevy C/3500 Cheyenne 4x4
CC/LB/SRW, 6.5 Diesel, Auto, Solid Front axle, AAM 11.5" Rear

1995 GMC K/1500 SLE 4x4
RC/LB/SRW, 6.5 Diesel, Auto

1982 Chevy C-60
350sbc, 4speed, F-106 rear, 12ft stake body
Old 09-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
mpm
Heat Sink

headlights

Diode is a cleaner way of doing this.Can be concleded in factory harness.Minimal wiring needed.
A diode is a 1 way valve for electricty.
1 side can be hooked up to positive on high beam and other side on positive on low beam,When high beams are on 12 volts flow over to low beam positive. When low beams are on the 12 volts cant flow over to the high beam side because of the 1 way valve effect of the diode.No relays to wire up or make heat and burn out.
Radio shack sells for under $5.00.
I will try on wifes taho this weekend.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
BigBlueChevy
Diesel Nut

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueChevy

Diesel Day Dreams Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm View Post
Diode is a cleaner way of doing this.Can be concleded in factory harness.Minimal wiring needed.
A diode is a 1 way valve for electricty.
1 side can be hooked up to positive on high beam and other side on positive on low beam,When high beams are on 12 volts flow over to low beam positive. When low beams are on the 12 volts cant flow over to the high beam side because of the 1 way valve effect of the diode.No relays to wire up or make heat and burn out.
Radio shack sells for under $5.00.
I will try on wifes taho this weekend.
once again:
All on Headlight Mod Guide
Quote:
This is just a guideline on how to do this, there are many ways you can do this
Have a nice day

1998 Chevy C/3500 Cheyenne 4x4
CC/LB/SRW, 6.5 Diesel, Auto, Solid Front axle, AAM 11.5" Rear

1995 GMC K/1500 SLE 4x4
RC/LB/SRW, 6.5 Diesel, Auto

1982 Chevy C-60
350sbc, 4speed, F-106 rear, 12ft stake body
Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trios
Diesel Champ

Armed Forces Club Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bison View Post
Theres a far easyer way of doing this.

I got an old style foot dimmer switch on the floor,one wire to a Key on only power supply from the underdash convieniance center to the switch,one wire from the switch spliced into the high beam green wire in the dr side fender harnass.
This setup will also turn on the blue high beam on light in the dash.
It works fully independant from the high/low lever wich stays fully operational as well.

I installed this set up in all my GM trucks and cars for yrs allready.
You're not taking into account the amp draw of the lights from whatever 'key on only power' you're taking it from. Easy way to blow a fuse here, just turn on your high beams with, say, your fan blower on high and POW, blown fuse.

Pulling the power from the always-hot headlight fuse would be better as I believe they're rated enough for both lights (some cars/trucks you can even find a sweet spot with your dimmer switch where both are on without a mod, but you gotta hold it there). This would also allow you to keep the all-on while the engine is off, which I suppose could be useful sometimes? Dunno.
1997 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6, 5spd, 4x4, brush guard, "Snowpacalype Beater" SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDave0887 View Post
Trios is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaric View Post
x2 Trios is right lol
Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bison
Diesel Veteran

never blew a single fuse yet after 15 yrs of use on my 89. this truck dont have daytime running lights so my high beam substitutes for that. So these lights are on all the time i 'm on the road,I burnt out a couple bulbs over the yrs though.

Other mods, to nummerous to mention.
95 GMC SL 2500 6.5td ext cab sh box auto, 409.000 km,CDR vented to atmosfeer at 307 k, remote pmd, extra glow bypass/LP test switch, relocated OPS ,in cab fuel gauge .High idle switch,new paint.Foot dimmer swich for simultaniously high/low beam. The Wife's pride and joy.
89 GMC 2500 sle 4x4 ext cab 6.2 na stock 740000+ km, engine rebuilt at 660000 km, rusting out now, but runs like new.
Waldon Wheelloader repowered with 6.2 na.
3 tractors dsl ,72 AC 940 whj loader,ASV 4810 Positrack skidsteer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in