Towing Mirror Install - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
96GMC6.5L
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 96GMC6.5L

Towing Mirror Install

Well, got my mirrors in this week and got them installed. The piece that is screwed to and covers the mounting plate had screw tabs that were broke in it from shipping that I JB Welded because I did not feel like sending them back and having to wait that long for everything to take place. It was a simple fix that I didn't mind doing. I called where I got them to let them know about it and ended up applying for a return number without knowing that they would automatically send me a new pair before I sent the damaged ones back. So I got an email yesterday with a tracking number for the new set . I shot them an email to let them know what I did and that I had already glued, installed, and spliced them in, and haven't gotten a response back yet as it is the weekend.

So to make a long story short I have another set of these coming that if I knew I could sell would be willing to sell them for the same price I paid for them which would be around $150 shipped. Instead of sending them back to the company. These are Kool Vue power heated model GM74E-R and GM74E-L (they are for 01-03 GM trucks).

OK, now to the fun stuff. Here is my install:

The first picture is before the holes were reamed out and re drilled. If I were to do this again, I would make a template of the cast mounting plate with the studs in it and place that on the door rather than just going at the holes and trying to make them fit right. I tried making a template of the whole triangular piece but that was easier said than done and I gave up on that shortly.

The second picture is of the new holes I drilled and reamed out to get the new mirrors to fit right. The big center hole that the wires go through has to be made bigger too since the wires don't exit the mirror in the same direction.

The third is a picture of the mirror mounted and the big washers I used on the back side to mount them and make up for the big holes I made.

The fourth picture is of the mirror mounted along with some more of the general fit. ( I haven't fixed my vent shades yet. The piece that used to stick to the old mirror will have to be cut off.)

The last pictures are of the wiring. I cut my stock plug off my old mirrors as well as the plug of the new mirrors and proceeded to splice the old plug onto the new mirrors so I would be able to plug them into my factory harness. I found out that my mirror adjust switch does not work when pushed to the right, but for my truck the driver side wiring does work correctly, but on the passenger side the up and down works, but if you hit left (the only sideways function I have) the mirror goes right instead. I tried a bunch of other wiring combinations but could not find anything that worked right. I actually think that the wiring inside the mirror was backwards since I tried every possible combination and couldn't find anything to work. This wiring part might be specific to your truck, and how you want yours to operate based on whether or not your switch works in all directions. I was happy with how my passenger side was since I used all 3 of the possible functions I had and once you set your mirrors once you don't usually touch them very often. So here is how I wired mine.

The heat is the orange wire, so don't worry about wiring that in when trying to do the directions.

Driver side:

Plug Color Mirror Color
green green
yellow light blue
light blue yellow
white black

Like I said, if I had the right function on my switch the driver side would move just as it should.

Passenger side:

Plug Color Mirror Color
yellow yellow
purple green
red black
light blue light blue

This is where I think the actual wiring inside my mirror was messed up and I think in order to make this mirror work correctly it should be wired just as the drivier side with the red and black together, purple and green together, but switching the yellows and light blues.

As for wiring the heat, I had a spare KC light harness laying around and used that and have it running on a toggle switch. The KC harness worked great as it already had all the fuses, and relay for the setup. If you don't have something like this, as I assume most of you don't I would just run wires and hook them up on a toggle switch and probably use a couple in line fuses just incase.

So step by step here it is:
1. take old mirrors off
2. ream out old holes in all directions and see where you need to go to make the new mirrors fit.
3. mount the new mirrors with big washers on the back side. You might have to trim the weather stripping on the bottom of the window a bit to get the mounting plate to clear, as well as clip the bottom edge of the mirror to clear the bottom weather stripping.
4. cut the stock plug of your old mirrors
5. cut the plug of the new mirrors
6. splice the new mirrors in ( I found no rhyme or reason as for the set I used for the 01-03 trucks, I didn't know which wires did what on the new mirrors so I just experimented with combinations until I found what worked.)
7. Wire the heat
8. put everything back together.

After I got done typing this I realized the pictures probably won't be in order, but I'm sure you guys can figure out which is which.

There will be more pics to come of both of them on the truck. As well as my switch for the heat.

If any of you would be interested in buying the other set I have coming instead of me sending them back, shoot me a PM and we can try and work something out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror 001.jpg (464.0 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 005.jpg (430.9 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 006.jpg (404.4 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 008.jpg (357.2 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 009.jpg (526.5 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 010.jpg (449.5 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 011.jpg (387.7 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 012.jpg (453.9 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 013.jpg (488.5 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 014.jpg (489.5 KB, 815 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 015.jpg (465.9 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 016.jpg (452.3 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 017.jpg (437.8 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 019.jpg (368.4 KB, 422 views)
96 GMC Sierra 2500 x-cab long box, 6.5L F Code Diesel , 4l80E, 97 airbox, Autometer Ultra-Lite 0-35psi Boost and 0-1600 Pyro on pillar, Mechanical Wastegate, Gutted cat with straight through muffler, Feed the beast mod, Heath Remote Mount PMD, Nerf Bars, Diamond Tread Rocker Panel, 265/75/R16 Terra A/W's on 2500HD Aluminum Rims, Stainless Steel Bug Shield, Stainless Door Handle Inserts, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with 2 KC Slimlight 130w. New style HD Towing Mirrors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Davediesel3
Diesel Nut

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

Grat write up man. That is almost exactly how I did it. I did not enlarge the center hole for the wires though ( I decided that they were routable so they wouldn't pinch) Hopefully this will end up in the mod section!

By the way.... Truck looks great!
Did you do the "leveling mod"? Can't quite tell in the pics and you did not list that step if you did.
I did and it looks WAY better.

Davediesel3 black 94 6.5 TD ECLB k3500 duallie 4X4, vincode "F", 4:10 gears (looking for 3:73's), '97 style air box w/K&N, homade relocated pmd cooler (moved to bumper area),home made turbo master, no cat mandrel bent 2.25" crossover and 3" downpipe from SS diesel supply 5" from the cab back, split to exit both sides. HEATH HP-4 performance chip, removed snorkel, custom rear air ride, eagle alloy wheels, on board air compressor powered by 2500 watt power inverter, train horns, BIG red (lighted) truck nutz. NEW tow mirrors (the '08 style for 99-06 body pics in garage) westin bull bar up front. air ride seats.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says"OH S**T HE'S AWAKE"
Proud member #682 of the 3500 dually club.

Last edited by Davediesel3; 08-09-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
96GMC6.5L
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davediesel3 View Post
Grat write up man. That is almost exactly how I did it. I did not enlarge the center hole for the wires though ( I decided that they were routable so they wouldn't pinch) Hopefully this will end up in the mod section!

By the way.... Truck looks great!
Did you do the "leveling mod"? Can't quite tell in the pics and you did not list that step if you did.
I did and it looks WAY better.

I actually didn't do the leveling, I kind of like the tilted up angle they have. I think I am one of the few though. I mean I don't mind the level either but I prefer the tilted.
96 GMC Sierra 2500 x-cab long box, 6.5L F Code Diesel , 4l80E, 97 airbox, Autometer Ultra-Lite 0-35psi Boost and 0-1600 Pyro on pillar, Mechanical Wastegate, Gutted cat with straight through muffler, Feed the beast mod, Heath Remote Mount PMD, Nerf Bars, Diamond Tread Rocker Panel, 265/75/R16 Terra A/W's on 2500HD Aluminum Rims, Stainless Steel Bug Shield, Stainless Door Handle Inserts, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with 2 KC Slimlight 130w. New style HD Towing Mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
outalne94z71
Diesel Pro

Send a message via AIM to outalne94z71 Send a message via MSN to outalne94z71 Send a message via Yahoo to outalne94z71

Badger State Diesel Club Member

Midwest Smokers Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GMC6.5L View Post

So to make a long story short I have another set of these coming that if I knew I could sell would be willing to sell them for the same price I paid for them which would be around $150 shipped. Instead of sending them back to the company. These are Kool Vue power heated model GM74E-R and GM74E-L (they are for 01-03 GM trucks).

is that each or the pair?

i would be interested if that is the pair
Proud member #727 of The 3500 Dually Club
bouncingtrucks.com for the original bouncing truck avatars
98 Gmc Sierra Victory Red K3500 Crewcab SLE dually 6.5td(F) fresh 4l80e 4:10 gears fresh gm-8 turbo,3" exhaust from turbo to muffler (no cat),new crate motor with new ip , bumper relocated fsd with hucksdorf diesel heatsink.

88 chevy k2500 7200gvw(short box conversion from long),18" lift 1 ton axle swap(ford d60 with chevy outers) 14 bolt rear with disks and detroit,rather large hunk of iron to power it on gas(currently building a short deck 572), divorced 205 t-case behind a th400 and rollin on cut 44" swamper tsl front goodyear ag 21.5 x16.1 14 ply rear, straight 3" pipe from ceramic long tubes to 5" stacks to make your ears bleed, OFF ROAD USE ONLY

Last edited by outalne94z71; 08-09-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
96GMC6.5L
Diesel Pro

Here are some more pictures of the general fit and look now that I cut the vent shades, and wired my switch for the defrost. The inside pictures are of my two switches, the bottom on is for my KC lights, and the top one is for the defrost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror 001.jpg (441.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 002.jpg (426.8 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 003.jpg (360.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 004.jpg (430.7 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 005.jpg (408.2 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 006.jpg (395.0 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 007.jpg (449.5 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 008.jpg (439.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 009.jpg (445.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 010.jpg (425.2 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 011.jpg (342.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg mirror 012.jpg (348.6 KB, 241 views)
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
outalne94z71
Diesel Pro

Send a message via AIM to outalne94z71 Send a message via MSN to outalne94z71 Send a message via Yahoo to outalne94z71

Midwest Smokers Member

any daylight pictures from the front, those are a little dark to get the full effect
98 Gmc Sierra Victory Red K3500 Crewcab SLE dually 6.5td(F) fresh 4l80e 4:10 gears fresh gm-8 turbo,3" exhaust from turbo to muffler (no cat),new crate motor with new ip , bumper relocated fsd with hucksdorf diesel heatsink.

88 chevy k2500 7200gvw(short box conversion from long),18" lift 1 ton axle swap(ford d60 with chevy outers) 14 bolt rear with disks and detroit,rather large hunk of iron to power it on gas(currently building a short deck 572), divorced 205 t-case behind a th400 and rollin on cut 44" swamper tsl front goodyear ag 21.5 x16.1 14 ply rear, straight 3" pipe from ceramic long tubes to 5" stacks to make your ears bleed, OFF ROAD USE ONLY
Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
96GMC6.5L
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by outalne94z71 View Post
any daylight pictures from the front, those are a little dark to get the full effect
haha
Old 08-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
outalne94z71
Diesel Pro

Midwest Smokers Member

i got mine in today, still need to wire up the plugs

Old 08-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
96GMC6.5L
Diesel Pro

Hey, those look a lot like the spare pair that I had... Looks great! Do you have any closer up pics? Did you have a hard time getting them on?

Last edited by 96GMC6.5L; 08-29-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Liftemhigh
Diesel Starter

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

now they LOOK GOOD outalne94z71 did you by them as a set or each. i.am going to put the same on mine when if ever we get back to work as we are still on strike. the money change and brokerage fees and duty are in sane for us over here. i ordered a set of door handle filler panels from the U.S and they were $39.99 US and with the exchange its not bad shipping through ups and duty was $54.47 plus the $39.99. sent them back and UPS still sent me a bill for it called and bi&^hed they said to disregard it and any other bills that i get.the company i had ordered from sent them to me in the mail and it cost me $11 what a difference. i got to find some over there to send stuff to then send it to me in the mail.

• 1998 Air filter box
  • Pyro/Trans/Boost gauges on a pillar
  • Custom Dump Bed
  • 6" Rough Country suspension lift
  • Hercules Terra Trac LT315/75R16
  • American Racing rims
  • Clear Lens Headlights , Euro style Taillights,
  • 4" Warpspeed exhaust system (no CAT),
Build em, Drive em, Beet em, Fix em and Start all over again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in