Time to put a spring on the wastegate. Looking for spring wire diam, op range, etc - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
bob1121
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Time to put a spring on the wastegate. Looking for spring wire diam, op range, etc

I am so very tired of this truck falling off boost so I have grabbed up a boost gauge and ready to add the manual spring. I would like to see if anyone has a caliper and can measure the wire diameter of a spring that works correctly? I have not looked yet so will this be a compression or extension spring? What is the unloaded length and what might the operation range be?

Also, I would like to ask about how much boost these trucks like with only an opened exhaust? I want to say it was around 11psi constant but can surge to 12-13 without issues? Is that a little high?

Last edited by bob1121; 06-10-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
viking
Glow Plug

I run 15 lbs boost on hard pulls without troubles, but thats with listed mods.

And I take it you are making a home made turbo master, a compression or extension spring would depend on your design, I would go for a compression type as they are easier to adjust, wire diameter of a spring is'nt the big concern, just make sure you can set the lbs where you want it, ie, it will hold untill you hit your boost limit then release.

Egr, Maf, Vac Pump Delete.
"F" upper & lower intake.
B&M Trans pan +3 quarts.
Trans-go H-2 Shift Kit.
Boost gauge. 9" Cone Air Filter.
Heath Turbomaster,PMD Isolator #7 fuel resistor, lift pump, GL4, new IP @ 195k
..........................FOR SALE.........................

A Good Friend Will Bail You Out Of Jail,
But A True Friend Will Be Sitting Beside You Saying "Damn That Was Fun"

Last edited by viking; 06-10-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Green Machine
She Don't Smoke!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

If you have stock eeprom in your computer run 10psi max. If you have an aftermarket eeprom run about 12-13.

Quote: "Mind over Matter - I don't mind cause you don't matter!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
bob1121
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
I run 15 lbs boost on hard pulls without troubles, but thats with listed mods.

And I take it you are making a home made turbo master, a compression or extension spring would depend on your design, I would go for a compression type as they are easier to adjust, wire diameter of a spring is'nt the big concern, just make sure you can set the lbs where you want it, ie, it will hold untill you hit your boost limit then release.

The reason I am asking for the wire diameter is that there is a direct relation between compression force and wire size. bigger wire, more force to compress it. Unless of course someone knows what the compression rate is on a good spring for this app??? Then we can just back calculate to determine the wire size required. How much range does it need? .5" travel, 2in travel? We have plenty of clutch springs around here so I would like to use those if possible. I would like to start with a stiffer spring and work down the OD (wire size reduction) to reduce the stiffness. I realize that the pretension will help also but I am sure the right wire size will make it work that much better.

Looking at a couple pics, I realize that some guys have made their own actuator arm. That of course would totally change the spring force needed. My bad. I plan to use the OE actuator arm at this time.

Last edited by bob1121; 06-10-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
viking
Glow Plug

Did'nt measure unloaded length, but here's a pic of it

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/***...8&d=1240014318
Egr, Maf, Vac Pump Delete.
"F" upper & lower intake.
B&M Trans pan +3 quarts.
Trans-go H-2 Shift Kit.
Boost gauge. 9" Cone Air Filter.
Heath Turbomaster,PMD Isolator #7 fuel resistor, lift pump, GL4, new IP @ 195k
..........................FOR SALE.........................

A Good Friend Will Bail You Out Of Jail,
But A True Friend Will Be Sitting Beside You Saying "Damn That Was Fun"
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob1121
Diesel Apprentice

Well, I got things installed. I used as many OE components as possible to simplify the install. I simply welded an extension on the end of my factory WG rod mad from a 1/4x20 bolt. I used the OE bracket and gutted the vacuum can. Very simple install and it seems pretty dialed in with the first adjustment. WOT on flat road with no load give me about 10psi for about 2 sec and then falls back to about 8psi and holds there. I am still getting a little black smoke under hard accel but seems more like a typical diesel. I would not say it is "fast" y any means but it seems to come up to speed easier now.

I am not sure if the boost should come up and hold or if falling off 2 psi is pretty normal. Between the boost gauge and the WG goodies, I think I have about 20 bucks in the job. Just wish I could boost this thing more but I am not running an EGT so I think I will have to let it be for now. I have to keep reminding myself this is my "work" truck.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Green Machine
She Don't Smoke!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

I'm guessing your vac system is still fully functional? Because if you still have the EGR on the truck and it is not blocked off - and your vac pump isn't working of you take it off, your EGR will remain open and could cause a poor running condition.

Just checking

Quote: "Mind over Matter - I don't mind cause you don't matter!"

Last edited by Green Machine; 06-12-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
bob1121
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
I'm guessing your vac system is still fully functional? Because if you still have the EGR on the truck and it is not blocked off - and your vac pump isn't working of you take it off, your EGR will remain open and could cause a poor running condition.

Just checking

Yeah, the pump is still on. One thing at a time I guess. I can certainly see how that damn EGR is restricting air flow big time. The intake is also extremely nasty with black sludge I am wondering if some of my oil burning is coming from the leakage at the turbo. Never the less, this pig will go for broke and then be sold for parts. Damn truck just will not quit though.

I've got a nice pinion seal leak that I need to get on asap or I will be locking that thing up tight. Leaves several drops every where it goes. I plan to just pull the U joint knuckle and pop that bastard in there and top it off again.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in