Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.5L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   clunk when making a sharp right turn (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/303301-clunk-when-making-sharp-right-turn.html)

IamDave0887 04-04-2009 07:48 PM

clunk when making a sharp right turn

i know i know a mod posting in the wrong forum. :eek::p:

Anyways, not sure if this has been happening all along and it's just getting worse now, or it it started randomly.

two days ago i replaced my pad and rotors. pad's were the cheap NAPA's and they were cracked to hell and back after less than a year, and still had ~60% pad life left. Repacked the bearings as they were fine(gotta love timken's from the factory). New oil seals w/ new rotors as well.

Now whenever i make a sharp right turn(yank the wheel to the right) I get a clunk. I can feel the clunk in the floor area. I checked to make sure all the lug nuts were tight, and torqued them down to 135 ft lbs(charts call for 140).

also regreased the front end and inspected everything. truck's got a year old pitman arm on it. no other steering parts have been changed(at least not since i've owned it).

Any ideas?

Thanks

- Dave

corolla 04-04-2009 08:20 PM

Control arm bushings(?)

IamDave0887 04-04-2009 08:21 PM

afaik they are original. everything looks original that's for sure. any test i can do other than a visual check?

tookielee 04-04-2009 08:35 PM

Control arms, tie rods, ball joints - I had an issue similar to this, could
not find the noise, until I hit a particularly bad rail crossing.
The metal bracket that holds the sway bar to the frame was cracked,
allowing the bar to bang just a little.

IamDave0887 04-04-2009 08:43 PM

interesting tookie.

With 178K on the truck i'll probably rebuild the front end. new ball joints, new bushings all over, new idler arm, etc etc. That may be my big summer project.

Dieseldad97 04-04-2009 09:06 PM

Summer project Dave? This is a weekend fix. With a couple of beers of course :)

mattthebrat 04-04-2009 10:35 PM

Did you check the column, could be the universal joint clunking, or a rub against something?!?

ghitch75 04-04-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdave0887 (Post 3228495)
interesting tookie.

With 178K on the truck i'll probably rebuild the front end. new ball joints, new bushings all over, new idler arm, etc etc. That may be my big summer project.

i just done the whole frontend on the burb 2 days ago(188k on mine)......bushings and ball joints sucked!!!....need to have it alined.....and boy it drives alot better....you couldn't look around without going into the other lane or off the road:eek:....it was bad!!!!

getting the bushings out....easiest way i found was to take a drill bit and drill the rubber out to loosen them up then a good swat with a hammer...

put on new EBC vented rotors and pads....

IamDave0887 04-04-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghitch75 (Post 3228667)
i just done the whole frontend on the burb 2 days ago(188k on mine)......bushings and ball joints sucked!!!....need to have it alined.....and boy it drives alot better....you couldn't look around without going into the other lane or off the road:eek:....it was bad!!!!

getting the bushings out....easiest way i found was to take a drill bit and drill the rubber out to loosen them up then a good swat with a hammer...

put on new EBC vented rotors and pads....

alignment i can have done at work, or i can do it myself at school as we've got an alignment rack. For now i'll find exactly what's clunking and change it. but i do have to do the entire front end sooner rather than later.

bk95td 04-04-2009 11:34 PM

Sway bar end links may be loose or broke. PST in new jersey sells front end rebuild kits with graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings and all the suspension/steering parts.