Boost Control Diagnostics - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
BlueBurby1
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to BlueBurby1

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Boost Control Diagnostics

P0236-P0238 Diagnostics
BlueBurby1
A little background info on these codes:

These codes are in regards to the boost control circuit on 6.5TD built with OBD-II Capability.

Overboost, Underboost, and non responsive units will all set these codes.
To test the system follow these steps, and then post back with results.
This will work for F code engines, for S code the steps are the same, but you need to trace the EGR vacuum lines to ensure there are no leaks.

P0236 = Boost is 20 kPa or 2.9 PSI from PCM expectations at 1800-2400 RPM, under load.

P0237 = Boost is under 40 kPa or 5.8 PSI

P0238 = Boost is equal to or greater than 202 kPa Under 3506 RPM.

1. Check all battery connections and grounds. This is important as the PCM can do all kinds of weird things without proper grounding.
ENGINE OFF
2. Check that you can freely move the waste gate actuator (mounted on the turbo with a vacuum line running to it)(remove vacuum line and move actuator while placing your finger over the vacuum port, you should be able to get suction and pressure)if you get no pressure/vacuum playing with the actuator, replace actuator.
3. Check the vacuum line running from the actuator to the solenoid(driver side of engine near intake manifold...has two vacuum lines, check these lines for any cracks or breaks, but be careful, itís easy to snap them(in which case repair any vacuum lines as necessary).
4. Follow the vacuum line back to the vacuum pump, with the Belt off, see if you can turn the vacuum pump, you should feel resistance due to the pumping action. Also feel for grinding...any grinding or lack of pumping, suspect unit.
ENGINE RUNNING(belt replaced and hoses reconnected)
5. Check for vacuum at the solenoid. If you have no vacuum AT the solenoid and the vacuum line is good. Replace vacuum pump.
7. Check for vacuum coming OUT of solenoid(solenoid should activate and buzz when truck is idling)if no vacuum or solenoid not functioning. Replace solenoid.
8. Check for vacuum at actuator, if no vacuum at actuator, recheck vacuum lines.

Your MAP Sensor may be at fault, and is cheaper than the PCM. If mechanically/pressure wise everything is A-OK, Replace the MAP Sensor. NOTE:The Diesel MAP Sensor is different from the Gas MAP Sensor.

9. If you STILL canít get the system working, the problem may be the PCM. Find a test unit(spare PCM) OR Order a Heath GL-4 and Turbo-Master(if you choose to upgrade, if you want to leave stock or have thrown a ton of parts at it...just get the GL-4/or a factory PCM)

This is just a guide, and you should post back your testing results BEFORE purchasing and replacing parts...we will help you along, and I hope you enjoyed reading my guide

Member #2 of the TLFTN Club - Loud and Proud
DIAGNOSTIC HELP CLICK HERE
EDIT SIGNATURE HERE
BOOST CONTROL HELP CLICK HERE
CHECKLIST CLICK HERE

For Members with vehicles with PassLock or PassKey Security issues. PM for details on "Fixing" this system.
GM Parts Guy. PM for part numbers or where a part is.

Last edited by BlueBurby1; 10-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlueBurby1
Diesel Guru

Send a message via MSN to BlueBurby1

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Armed Forces Club Member

I have updated this diagnostic and am looking for input on making it better.

this was brought to my attention by a recurring 236 code on my own truck.

Be aware that this thread will be locked again on OCT 7th, 2011 and changes made to the diagnostic as necessary.

Please keep comments on topic otherwise the thread will be cleaned and locked early.

Thank you for your input in advance

Member #2 of the TLFTN Club - Loud and Proud
DIAGNOSTIC HELP CLICK HERE
EDIT SIGNATURE HERE
BOOST CONTROL HELP CLICK HERE
CHECKLIST CLICK HERE

For Members with vehicles with PassLock or PassKey Security issues. PM for details on "Fixing" this system.
GM Parts Guy. PM for part numbers or where a part is.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
mikeyG
Diesel Rookie

Hey I just got this code, and I'm curious as to why.

My OD drops out so I had to hit a hill going 2500 rpm in 3rd gear, could this cause it?

Everything checks out correct.

I had broken a vac line a month ago and decided to directly attach the vacuum to the waste gate actuator, completely bypassing the solenoid. Could this be the cause? By directly attaching the vac like to the actuator, does that create max boost or?

I suppose: what does the solenoid actually do?

Cleared the codes and truck runs perfect now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
jimrig
Diesel Rookie

yes that would make sure your wastegate stays closed all the time. The solenoid is controlled by the PCM. Your boost sensor, PCM, and wastgate solenoid work together as a system by managing your boost under all throttle conditions. By bypassing the solenoid you are creating a situation where the PCM has no control over the boost level and will try and protect the engine by setting a code and going into a "limp Mode". Before I made my own wastegate controller I did the same thing and bypassed the solenoid and was getting 20+lbs of boost just from the vacuum pump. I also left my solenoid connected so the PCM would sense that it was still attached. If you have a stock programmed PCM if it sees anything over 12psi for more than 5seconds if I remember right it will set a code.
Custom towing tune, Marine Injectors, relocated PMD w/#9 resistor, 3inch downpipe, 2.5crossover, 4inch straight through exhaust to a 5in tip, stock turbo set at 15lbs, 4l80e with towing converter, 4.11 gears, 3 gauge pillar setup(boost, pyro, trans)
Future mods include: HX40, FTB, more custom tuning, NV4500 swap

RIP
83 K30 SCLB Dually (never hooked to anything i couldn't move as long as i got traction)
Fuel screw maxed out, banks side winder kit, SM465, 3inch straight pipe into a single 6in stack.

8 Years in the Marine Corps as a motor transport diesel mechanic(IF YOU CANT TRUCK IT IT)
1 year Heavy Equipment mechanic
Currently a diesel fleet mechanic.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
mikeyG
Diesel Rookie

Thanks! Another question:

I have vacuum line to re install the solenoid, but I now don't know which is the intake and outtake vacuum lines at the solenoid, does the vacuum go to the front most solenoid hole, and then the rear most solenoid hole to the waste gate?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyG View Post
Thanks! Another question:
does the vacuum go to the front most solenoid hole, and then the rear most solenoid hole to the waste gate?
Yes..
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in