Battery Mod! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
DieselCash
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Lone Star Diesels Member

Battery Mod!

I like most of you on this forum saw this mod and wanted to try it myself. I followed what someone on here stated and did my bolts in stainless steal and they are 2" (inches) in length. I could not find stainless bolts so, I went with stainless wing nuts, which seem so far to work very well. I also did not use bolts but instead used cap screws. So here is how I did it;
I purchased 4 cap screws that are 3/8" X 2" that are course thread.
I also purchased 4 wing nuts that are 3/8" -16 that are course thread.
i also purchased 4 3/8" lock washers. All above are stainless!
I then disconnected both grounds then disconnected both positive wires.
I then took off all the extra plastic around the end of the connector that hooks up to the battery.(sorry no pic of that)
I then placed the wing nut all the way on the cap screw with the lock washer following it.
I then placed the battery cables on after the lock washer.
I then started to screw the cap screw onto the battery with everything above attached.
I fingered tightened the cap screw on.
I then tightened on the wing nut against the cable, lock washer, and against the battery, also finger tight with a litle extra grunt.
The vehicle know seems to start better, pictures to follow.
While I was working on the battery I went ahead and pulled out the snorkle out of the fendar and cleaned everything up!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver side batt1.jpg (63.1 KB, 1463 views)
File Type: jpg driver side batt +post1.jpg (48.4 KB, 1360 views)

Last edited by DieselCash; 08-11-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
DieselCash
Diesel Boss

Lone Star Diesels Member

Another picture

Here is another picture, this one of the driver side of the truck!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pass side batt2.jpg (45.7 KB, 1357 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
TurboTahoe
Diesel Nut

Excellent work! Looks even better than my setup!

Rob
1995 2-door 1/2 ton Tahoe 6.5 TD. Red/Silver Two-Tone with Grey Leather. Positraction Rear End, 3.73, 4L80-E, 4WD, HyperTech chip, Flowmaster crossover and downpipe, modified intake plenum, '97 air cleaner assembly with factory filter, 3" lift, Model 280 flex-a-lite electric fans (which solved cooling problems caused by body lift), Centerline wheels, PowerSlot brake rotors, 175K miles. Hellwig front and rear swaybars. Rancho adjustable shocks on all 4 corners, Heath Remote mount FSD. 0-60 in 9.5 seconds.

1999 3/4 Ton Suburban 6.5 TD SLT Kid Hauler. 124K miles. Black with Tan leather. Hellwig sway bars front and rear. Flowmaster downpipe. Remote FSD under-the-bumper with Kennedy 72" harness and SSDiesel FSD Cooler. PowerSlot brake rotors. THIS RIG IS FOR SALE HERE: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/45-...condition.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jodean
Diesel Pro

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Sh!t if i did that id be welding batteries all the time.....

Whats this for? jumper calbes? or just staying tight?

2014 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT quad shortie
Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
crazyj
Diesel Student

Me TOO!! I just get battery's that have old style post on top too, that give's me a place to hook up jumpers and other things, like kicken stereo.
1993 Chevy c3500 6.5 td F block, 4L80E 153,000 miles Hearthrob 4" exhaust with glass pack, gotta love that turbo singing, K & N Filter, Snorklectomy otherwize skock,,for now. Will be adding Boost, Pyro and will mod the waste gate soon.

1985 Izusu p'up 2.2 n/a diesel, stick shift. 250,000 miles. This little truck kicks butt, just does whatever you ask of it, had 1 ton of junk in it once at the dump.

1986 Suzuki Cavalvade, Purple Metalic, Lots of graffics, and the trailer it pulls. Trying to figure out how to make it run on diesel. HHHMMM!

Finnally, don't own a gas car...ever again...
If it's got spark plugs,,,,,IT'S BROKEN.....
Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
nickg
Diesel Boss

You really should shorten the posts, electrical short waiting to happen, (or slip some fuel line over the bolts) also the wire you have looks like its between the cable ends and the battery, if thats the case likely you will have a weak/poor connection to the starter, the bolts in my opinion really dont need to be stainless, just slather some di-electric grease or plain old wheel bearing grease over the terminals and they will not corrode again.

Now Have a Dodge 2001 5.9 Cummins, 2500, 4x4 LB, Quad Cab....Edge EZ (60hp/180tq) 80 hp Jammer II injectors and a 4inch magnaflow exhaust...(more to come),
Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
DieselCash
Diesel Boss

Lone Star Diesels Member

Attempt!

I did the 2" and stainless because someone on here stated they wish they had, so I figured why not. I was a cheap mod/update/fix for my truck anyways. Before the fix I was at or below 12V on the dash guage, after it stayed right at 14V. i checked the batts and alt after the mod and both batts were at 12.39V with the truck off. With it on they were at 14.12V and alt was at 14.39V.
The wire that someone asked about goes to something, I was only home for a couple of days and did not have time to trace and fix. I also was on a very short and tight budget since it cost so much to fly home. When I return I will fix it and figure out what it goes to properly.
The individual with the idea about the fuel line cover, that is a good idea. I will try it, when I go home again! I am not to worried about a short. To cause a short the hood has to be opened, or something under the hood has to break. truck needs to be driven for both of those to happen!
Know that it is done I wish I would have gone with the shorter bolts, but the money has been spent and I am pleased with what I have.
Thanks for all the replys!

Last edited by DieselCash; 08-13-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
chi2
Glow Plug

I'm really interested in doing this battery mod, but I am concerned about using steel bolts (or cap screws). Most of the aftermarket side-terminal battery bolts are either copper or lead.

Are the steel bolts just as good for conducting electricity as copper or lead connectors?

Jon
Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi2 View Post
I'm really interested in doing this battery mod, but I am concerned about using steel bolts (or cap screws). Most of the aftermarket side-terminal battery bolts are either copper or lead.

Are the steel bolts just as good for conducting electricity as copper or lead connectors?

Jon
You are only using a short portion of the bolt. At any rate, the tightness is the most important. The bolt is tighter than the regular side battery terminal.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
schiker
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi2 View Post

Jon
The factory bolts look like steel or alloy? not anything special.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in