98/99 timing setting possibly other years - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I posted this over at TDP in response to a question looking for specific details, thought it might be useful here also; read through it and if you still have questions PM me and I'll see if I can clear it up.

Timing is best set with a tech 2, that said it can be done on a 98 & 99 for sure without T2, as I've done it myself several times using just a Snap-On MT2500, I've done it only on those 2 years which are theft deterrent equipped systems.

What I don't know is if this works for all OBD2 PCMs or just the ones with theft deterrent. It is for this reason I've not posted what worked for me in detail.

That said, for the general population, what follows is what is in the manual for my year model truck and is paraphrased for simplicity.

From what I read there are 2 different routines 1st is setting timing following pump replacement, this one requires a 2 directional scan tool, start engine bring to normal Op temp 170F or > coolant temp, use time set command to command timing desired to 0 deg, actual timing should read 3.5 deg on avg.

MARK IP BEFORE MAKING ANY ADJUSTMENT SO YOU CAN GO BACK TO WHERE YOU STARTED IF NEED BE. Also (1) mm rotation roughly a scribe line width = 2 deg. timing change, make small moves.

If above 3.5 avg., shut down engine, loosen mounting nuts and rotate pump toward pass side, if below 3.5 rotate toward drivers. These are hard to get at I moved the AC compressor off of it's mount hoses still connected to get better access, also I don't think you can access them without making a custom wrench or buying the Snap-On set which I did. IP turning wrench is also an asset. Continue this until 3.5 avg. is satisfied.

Best as I can figure this is the base timing, once out of time set commanded to 0; the computer commands where the timing needs to be. Can be greater than 3.5 avg seen in time set command mode.

The next procedure is the TDC offset which can be done independent of time set, and can be done with just a reader that displays TDC offset reading. Nothing in the manual directs that both be done at same time, but I did the time set before doing TDC offset just to see if I was in the correct ball park.

Snap On MT2500 TDC display is incorrect vs. a Tech 2 tool a T2 -.25 to-.75 setting is -4.8 on a MT2500, a T2 -1.76 to -1.94 setting is displayed as -5.4 MT2500 only carries to 1 decimal place.

Same as above bring engine to coolant temp 170 or above, see that all codes are clear (clear codes before proceeding).

Shut off engine, then turn key to run not start and accelerator to floor minimum 45 sec,(this activates TDC learn), then key off 30 sec.

Restart truck if coolant is above 170 and rpm below 1500 PCM automatically relearns offset, may stumble on start 1st run until new offset is accepted.

If you want TDC to go more negative(-), shutdown truck as before and rotate pump toward driver side, if you want a more (+) offset go toward pass side, same (1) mm =2 deg be frugal with adjustment.

Bolt all down do key on key off routine pedal to floor as before, and restart to do learn, and repeat until at desired TDC offset.

As you can see, some trial and error this way so the T2 is the way to go; JK says it's a set and forget with that tool, but since I don't have access to one this is what worked for me, I've got more time than money.

You have to be on top of your game this way also, don't get too agressive and should have no problems,

All else fails, go back to original mark, and relearn that setting. If you want to talk more about itget with MP to set up off page contact. I'm not claiming this will work for all, but it did work for me.

Pic of IP turning tool is found in this thread cheap frustration insurance IMO
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11853

Edited by: Turbine Doc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Tool dimension requirements can be found here https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...ight=pump+tool

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
jesus
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Think I did the same procedure to make my dvd player region free Thanks this is gonna help alot!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
jesus
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post7045041

My Numbers
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in