extended glows - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Theront
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

extended glows

I just installed a toggle on the yellow wire for the ect and put a resistor in series on one position of the switch and on the other position the computer still sees the actual..

Boy what a difference in the way the truck starts!! It starts almost instantly now. I have a question though. When I connect the resistor in the circuit via the toggle switch my glow plug lights stays on for about 13 seconds. This is 2-3 seconds longer than without it. However the truck starts so nice with very little smoke.

My thinking is this, the switch is advancing the timing by fooling the computer into colder weather. Does this possibly meand that my timing might be retarded? I am unsure of how to check the timing, I am still reading everyday.

My next switch, here in the next day or so is for the TCC mod. My trans temps climb until I hit 55-60mph.

Thanks
Theront

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

Glad you got 'er done!

But...

If I recall correctly, this is one mod that isn't in the FAQ... and should be.

(hint, hint)...

<-----
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
jbsaxman
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: -1 reviews

x2, I have been thinking about this as I have been working in my truck. Good call, Theront

Soon to be PMD-less...

Proud Member #X of the 3500 CC LB SRW Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Theront
Clutch

I will try for some pictures, basically I love this switch right now. Even in the morning I bet it turns over maybe 2 revolutions before it is running and then it has an idle around 950rpms or so and it is so smooth.

Theront
Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

Nice!! Thanks, Theront!!

<-----
Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Theront
Clutch

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished install. We are in the middle of trying to move and getting rained on everytime we try to load the trailer. I can write up more and document it better if someone were to remind me at a later date.

Basic supplies:
SPDT switch
Resistor I had 5.56k ohm
wire to reach ECT sensor

Instructions:
solder resistor between pins A and C on the switch
solder yellow wire to sensor on B
solder yellow wire to ECM on A also

What you will have done is to put the switch in series with the yellow wire from the sensor. In position A the the computer sees the sensor normally. In position C the computer sees the sensor + resistor.

Theront
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00933.JPG (36.9 KB, 962 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00939.JPG (53.0 KB, 1035 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00938.JPG (29.3 KB, 941 views)
File Type: jpg of=50,590,442.jpg (28.8 KB, 923 views)
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (33.1 KB, 941 views)
Old 06-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

Thanks, Theront! Your mod is now in the FAQs under 'Getting more Glow Plug duration' and in the alphabetical section under 'ECT 'Fooling' for better cold starts'.

<-----
Old 06-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
jbsaxman
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: -1 reviews

Looks fantastic, Theront! Thanks a bunch. This is definitely a mod I will be doing shortly.

Soon to be PMD-less...

Proud Member #X of the 3500 CC LB SRW Club
Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dave001
Glow Plug

Hi Theront, thanks for the pics and info. Question - do you toggle the switch on, then turn your key, or do you do it after turning the key on? Is it a spring loaded momentary switch or does it stay on, then you have to turn it off after the engine starts?

Sorry for the silly questions, I'm just not sure how it works.

(Use this one at work) '98 K3500 Crew Cab Long bed Dually - Heath Max E Tork Towing PCM, turbo-master, 4.10 gears, 4L80.

(Sold) '97 GMC Suburban 2500 4WD 6.5 L65 "F" remote PMD - 202,000 miles
Heath Max-E-Tork GLE PCM, Heath Turbo-Master, Walbro FRB-5 fuel pump, vac pump delete
4L80/85E transmission 4.10 gears 265/75-16 Firestone Transforce A/T tires, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust
2-tank wvo conversion - Boost, wvo Fuel, and wvo filter vacuum gauges on A-pillar, EGT and fuel temp below dash
Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Theront
Clutch

I toggle the switch to the up position, turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go off then start the vehicle. I sometimes leave the switch up for a brief amount of time. I think that the colder it gets the longer I can leave the switch up. It moves my idle up to approx 950rpms.

Hope it helps.
Theront

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in