Extended glow for people with command start - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Extended glow for people with command start

I used to have the manual glow plug override in my 94. Now that I have the 95, I find myself using the command start that it came with to wake the truck up in the morning. I am now lazy, and therefore a manual GP override is out of the question.

I was having some issues starting my truck this winter with the command start. The truck would crank, almost catch, and then die. It would do this three or four times before it would actually start. After replacing the batteries, injectors, and glowplugs (maintenance reasons) I still had the same issue.

I needed a cheap way to extend my glow time without having to sit in the truck.

What I found was that if I disconnected the ECT before I put the truck away for the night, the next morning the truck would fire up right away. I would then have to pop the hood and plug the ECT back in before I left for work in the morning.

To find a way around always having to pop the hood to plug and unplug sensors, I just did this:

I cut the yellow wire from the ECT sensor to the ECM. Next, I soldered a long chunk of wire to each of the cut ends. I ran those two wires inside the cab. I hooked up the wires to a toggle switch I installed in the dash.

Now, when I shut the truck down for the night I turn the switch to ‘on’. This breaks the circuit and lets the ECM think that the coolant temp is -40. Once I get into the toasty warm truck I flick the switch to ‘off’ and the idle speed drops down to normal, OD comes back and away I go.

Disclaimer – if I didn’t have the command start I would have rather installed the GP override with a toggle switch and relay. That way you can have total control over glow time. With the switch turned ‘on’ with this setup, you lose OD, and the timing is advanced, flicking the switch to ‘off’ fixes that problem by giving the ECM proper ECT feedback. Enjoy!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02263.jpg (66.2 KB, 1599 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02260.jpg (70.9 KB, 1370 views)
07.5 LMM DMAX, 2500 HD, LT, PCV re-route, resonator delete, Edge EVO/RACE - level 2, colibert gooseneck hitch, Tekonsha PrimusIQ Controller, Bushwhacker Pocket flares, Scorpion color match bedliner and rockers, levelled, 285 General AT2's, AFE 4" exhaust, PPE tierod sleeves --> coming soon: lift pump, Trans Go Jr.

06 Cadillac Escalade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pruittx2
Diesel Boss

Send a message via Yahoo to Pruittx2

Sweet

1995 GMC SLT Suburban 208,000 miles
Buddy Super chip, 4" exhaust, FTB Mod, Bosch Injectors, GU6-G80, 4x4 Posi-Lok, OPS relay mod,
Killer PMD Cooler FS PMD #9, Duraterm Glows, TurboMaster, K-47 airbox, D-max fan New Mod'd clutch
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
edzzed
Diesel Expert

i was gonna suggest a switch to the ect but you figured it out on yer own. good job. i also have remote start and a few times it has done the same thing as your but mine will attempt a restart if it does not go on the first try. it waits about 45 seconds between restarts. Ed
98 GMC dually 4x4. New IP under warranty code 1216 at 150,000 Km's. Another IP at Turbovanmans shop at 277,000 KM's 4 inch flo-pro from Warpspeed, turbo back exhaust, 2.25 inch x-over pipe. Boost and Pyro gauges. heath hp4, HO injectors, "A"T"T" turbo, remote mounted PMD with #9 resistor, vacuum pump removed and using can-tire belt #10006k, engine replacement @ 58000kms, new tranny @156,000kms. Also have ALL LED lighting at rear, clear cab lenses with LED bulbs. Rancho shocks all around. DEVILSOWN water/meth injection. Hayden 2839 fan clutch. 9 blade plastic Dmax rad fan, part #15-80690 at autopartstomorrow. Peninsular heads. B&M shiftplus. 24ft side-trak toy hauler. also running with a 1999 KLR 650 dual sport m/c. and a 12ft. aluminum Princecraft with a 9.9 hp TWO stroke Yamaha as I luv the smell of burning oil, NOT. and one wife who insists I keep a light foot on the pedal. we are year round campers. and we breed Toy Poodles & Malti-poos. check out the 0-70 mph vid http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...0-70mph001.mp4
And the toys http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...rip2009237.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

Mine will attempt a restart 3 times before it stops. However, it only waits about 5 seconds between attempts so the glow time is not *refreshed* - hence the need for it to crack on the first shot...
07.5 LMM DMAX, 2500 HD, LT, PCV re-route, resonator delete, Edge EVO/RACE - level 2, colibert gooseneck hitch, Tekonsha PrimusIQ Controller, Bushwhacker Pocket flares, Scorpion color match bedliner and rockers, levelled, 285 General AT2's, AFE 4" exhaust, PPE tierod sleeves --> coming soon: lift pump, Trans Go Jr.

06 Cadillac Escalade
Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kick Ass Matt

So from what I gather from your post I think this is what you are trying to say.

Cut the yellow wire and wire in a switch, flick break the circuit you'd get extended glow time? Yes/No?

So to "operate" it this would be the chain of events.

Go home -> flick switch -> turn key to shut truck off

NEXT MORNING ARRIVES
hit remote start button switch -> go into truck -> flick switch on (close circuit)

When circuit open it brings idle up? Yes/No?
When circuit open it extends glow time? Yes/No
By how much?

Reason I ask is because I got an old 94 OBD1 sub and every morning I have to double, triple, quad glow it before I even attempt to start it. Once I get it going I let her run for like 30 sec then throw on the PTO high idle switch to "quick warm" it...then do the Canadian thing (run back in the house)

SO if I do this "mod" would I eliminate my double, triple, quad glow process?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
edzzed
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick *** Matt View Post
So from what I gather from your post I think this is what you are trying to say.

Cut the yellow wire and wire in a switch, flick break the circuit you'd get extended glow time? Yes/No?

So to "operate" it this would be the chain of events.

Go home -> flick switch -> turn key to shut truck off

NEXT MORNING ARRIVES
hit remote start button switch -> go into truck -> flick switch on (close circuit)

When circuit open it brings idle up? Yes/No?
When circuit open it extends glow time? Yes/No
By how much?

Reason I ask is because I got an old 94 OBD1 sub and every morning I have to double, triple, quad glow it before I even attempt to start it. Once I get it going I let her run for like 30 sec then throw on the PTO high idle switch to "quick warm" it...then do the Canadian thing (run back in the house)

SO if I do this "mod" would I eliminate my double, triple, quad glow process?
See how it starts with the ect disconnected to start with. if better then go ahead and cut and wire in a toggle switch. and use the washroom before running out to start the truck. some tdm will swipe a running truck if the keys are in it. Ed tdm=thieving dam misfit
98 GMC dually 4x4. New IP under warranty code 1216 at 150,000 Km's. Another IP at Turbovanmans shop at 277,000 KM's 4 inch flo-pro from Warpspeed, turbo back exhaust, 2.25 inch x-over pipe. Boost and Pyro gauges. heath hp4, HO injectors, "A"T"T" turbo, remote mounted PMD with #9 resistor, vacuum pump removed and using can-tire belt #10006k, engine replacement @ 58000kms, new tranny @156,000kms. Also have ALL LED lighting at rear, clear cab lenses with LED bulbs. Rancho shocks all around. DEVILSOWN water/meth injection. Hayden 2839 fan clutch. 9 blade plastic Dmax rad fan, part #15-80690 at autopartstomorrow. Peninsular heads. B&M shiftplus. 24ft side-trak toy hauler. also running with a 1999 KLR 650 dual sport m/c. and a 12ft. aluminum Princecraft with a 9.9 hp TWO stroke Yamaha as I luv the smell of burning oil, NOT. and one wife who insists I keep a light foot on the pedal. we are year round campers. and we breed Toy Poodles & Malti-poos. check out the 0-70 mph vid http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...0-70mph001.mp4
And the toys http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...rip2009237.jpg
Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
sshewins
Diesel Head

A while back there was a post about almost the same thing, the only real diff was that the guy used a two position switch. One leg went back normal, the other had a resistor wired to fool ECM into thinking it was the above mentioned -40*. This way seems a little easier.

94 C3500 HD - waiting for $ for serious overhaul

95 K3500 GMC 1 ton dump - 6.5, 110K miles, marine inj's, perf A/F, TM and 4" SS exhaust, ported intake, rebuilt heads

Want to do's :
1) add an I/C
2) get a chip - multi directional custom
3) install pyro and boost gauges
4) get k/o HX40

If the women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

Worked great this morning. Cranked right up. A decent mod for those with command start....

06 Cadillac Escalade
Old 02-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
sshewins
Diesel Head

Duh factor here, is command start a remote start? What brand?

94 C3500 HD - waiting for $ for serious overhaul

95 K3500 GMC 1 ton dump - 6.5, 110K miles, marine inj's, perf A/F, TM and 4" SS exhaust, ported intake, rebuilt heads

Want to do's :
1) add an I/C
2) get a chip - multi directional custom
3) install pyro and boost gauges
4) get k/o HX40

If the women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

Yes.

Viper.

06 Cadillac Escalade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in