autometer boost gauge install with pics - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
erollinc

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

autometer boost gauge install with pics

after not finding a good write up i made my own .... here you go

parts needed

---autometer boost gauge ( or other as long as it has the 1/8npt fitting)

---1/8-27 npt pipe thread tap

---5/16 drill bit

---male 1/8npt compression fitting ( i just got the nylon hose kit from sunpro, available at autozone or advance)

you could probably find the fitting without getting the kit but i just got it because it was convenient at the time

this write up may be elementary to some, but im sure some will appreciate it ...

i appologize for the low quality cellphone pics... forgive me (hehe)

First, take off your upper intake manifold, theres 6 bolts on top, 2 sensors to unplug, and the hose and brace to the turbo.

Then decide where your going to have your boost source location, i chose the back right side, put your intake in a vise so its stable to drill, (if you dont have a vise you should go buy one immediately)

This is a picture of the tap i got from SEARS

be sure you have the intake in the vise so the surface your working with is flat, then drill the 5/16 hole where desired. put the tap in the hole with the tapping tool, make sure its level and with good pressure start turning the tap clockwise in the hole, this is the most crucial part to get right. the tap will begin to cut into the hole, making the threads. once you see the tap get through to the bottom a lil bit youll want to back the tap out and back in a few times to clear the new threads of metal shavings

right here is about where you want to stop so you can make good use of the threads. since pipe threads are tapered you can make the hole a lil too big and the fitting wont fit as snug as youd like.

back out the tap and make sure all metal shavings are cleaned up and this is what you get

now get your male 1/8npt fitting and wrap some teflon tape around it. this will give it a good seal. screw in the fitting and DONT over tighten, cast aluminum is not the strongest metal!

ill definitely finish up this article tomorrow, it got dark and i had to pick up some more things for my home made turbo master

Last edited by erollinc; 02-17-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
DieselBeast65
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to DieselBeast65

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

Nice pics!! I installed mine a while ago but you will clear up many guys questions. Nice write up! Possibility for this to be in the FAQ??

2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD LT3, LBZ, CCSB, Banks intake, 5" MBRP exhaust, downpipe, autometer cobalt boost, pryo, and rail pressure, Profab EGR delete, EFI live dsp5/V2, Cognito UCA's, pitman/idler braces, rare parts tie rods, and bilstein 5100's all around.

SOLD and greatly missed -1996 GMC K2500, 6.5 Turbo Diesel, L65 HO VIN F, 4L80E, 14 Bolt Rear - 10.5" Ring Gear, 3.73, Factory Locker - G80 , dual thermostats, GEP Heads, ARP head studs, 4" straight pipe, 2.5" warpspeed crossover, Autometer Ultra-lite Boost Gauge, pyro, tranny temp, semi air horn, Recon Marker lights, high idle switches, HP4 and Turbo-Master, vacuum pump delete, Powermaster Gear-reduction Starter

-2006 Jetta TDI, 45mpg
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
9c1cap
Glow Plug

Good write-up. Pipe dope is also a good alternative to teflon tape. Exposed tape in the system can break down and find its way into your motor. Found out the hard way in an airbag system on my gasser, cost me some valves. But its probably not a big concern in a diesel, should just pass thru harmlessly....just a thought...
3.5 DP, 4" with no kitty, T/M by Craig 14psi peak w/ no load...Vac pump delete, AC delete, 60G plugs, homemade intake with gauze filter and aluminum box, heat sync mounted behind bumper, 285/75/16 BFG A/Ts, cranked t-bars and 2" blocks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
98BuickRegalgs

How long did this take? This maybe my next project
Old 02-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
DieselBeast65
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to DieselBeast65

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

Mine took about a half hour to install the 1/8 inch fitting in the upper intake. That includes removing the upper intake, drilling, tapping, cleaning the shavings out w/brake cleaner, and reinstalling. I mounted the gauge and ran the line the day before. It is a very simple installation and the boost gauge is a very valuable instrument.
2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD LT3, LBZ, CCSB, Banks intake, 5" MBRP exhaust, downpipe, autometer cobalt boost, pryo, and rail pressure, Profab EGR delete, EFI live dsp5/V2, Cognito UCA's, pitman/idler braces, rare parts tie rods, and bilstein 5100's all around.

SOLD and greatly missed -1996 GMC K2500, 6.5 Turbo Diesel, L65 HO VIN F, 4L80E, 14 Bolt Rear - 10.5" Ring Gear, 3.73, Factory Locker - G80 , dual thermostats, GEP Heads, ARP head studs, 4" straight pipe, 2.5" warpspeed crossover, Autometer Ultra-lite Boost Gauge, pyro, tranny temp, semi air horn, Recon Marker lights, high idle switches, HP4 and Turbo-Master, vacuum pump delete, Powermaster Gear-reduction Starter

-2006 Jetta TDI, 45mpg
Old 02-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
erollinc

anyone with general knowledge of mechanics can do this job in less than an hour easily

i am always SUPER careful not to get any teflon tape on the inside of whatever im using it on.... i learned the hard way on a paintball gun one time....
Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
AlbertaRedneck
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to AlbertaRedneck

Well done, Nice write-up
349,000 KM and counting.
93 K2500-6.5TD, Mech, Inj, Ext. Cab, LB, black, High-idle, Rebuilt Trans, Project Truck.
GM Tech2 Scanner, OBD II Scanner
"And I'll be Alberta Bound until I die" Paul Brandt
Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
voelkera3634
Diesel Student

Looks real good. Great documentation
1994 GMC 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive. extended cab short box, automatic, 175,000 miles, rebuilt transmission less than 10,000 miles ago, less than 1,000 miles on top end. heath turbomaster, heath HP4 eprom, marine injectors, aftermarket intake, aftermarket x-over pipe, custom 3.5 exhaust to 6 inch tip
Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
98z71keith
Glow Plug

I can't believe that your upper plenum is so clean!!! When I pulled mine to tap for boost it was so gunked up, I spent much time with it but still it never looked like that. Oh and the mess it made in the drive way I still get on my shoes and track it around!!! That stuff is nasty! On the plus side I found she picked up her performance after I cleaned it out, just wish it woulda cleaned up like urs did!
1998 Sierra 1500 Z71 Diesel Ext. Cab, Short Box - Pewter with tan leather, hard cover, bed liner, cmd start, 1-1/2" seat risers, glowshift boost & EGT & tranny temp gauges, heated driver and passenger seats, 4 beam headlights, heath remote mount underskid plate PMD, K&N filter, no kitty or muff pie exhaust, 12" sub, high idle switch mod, your basic, loaded, dam good looking GMC Truck!

G TECH - stock exhuast 1/4mi 18.2 @ 73mph

You should have to be a mechanic before you can be an automotive engineer!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
DieselS10
Diesel Apprentice

Hey thanks for the write up, I was getting ready to put one on mine, so your timing was perfect!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in