Desperate for HELP - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2004, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
TfourCT

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I had a problem with my truck and it went and broke down at the side of the road and wouldnt start again.

After checking numerous things it was found that the injector pump had given up the ghost and i have since then replaced it and bought a PMD cooler. After installing the new pump it took some time to get it running but when i did get it running it was terrible and had no power in it. I thought that it may be that the timing was out of the vehicle and so did a slight adjustment on the timing but it did not improve. I then had the injectors done and still no improvement. It then got more and more difficult to start with me having to crank the engine for longer periods. It then got to a stage where i would get it started and then take the idling to just about 1500 and it would give a tremendous knock and belch out black smoke.

After thinking that i had done some serious damage to the engine it occured to me that the vehicle was overfueling. I am now in the spot where i cant even get it started anymore due to the amount of fuel it seems to be delivering. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advise as to what to do next?

I am in South Africa so there is no one here that can actually help in this regard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Max Power
Diesel Legend

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

You might want to post this in the 6.5 section.

2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L - Sold

2009 GMC Crew Cab, Short Box SLT LMM - Sold
04.5 GMC 2500HD LLY Carbon Metallic - Sold
2003 GMC 2500HD LB7 White - Sold
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
quantum mechanic

It seems you should get a fresh pump and try again. The surging is indicitive of a failing fuel solenoid as well as over fueling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Texas Diesel Guy
Diesel Expert

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Sounds to me like you bought a 5068 pump, anyway you can check the model # of the one you purchased?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
gmctd

If your replacement Inj Pump is 5288 or 5521, then -

First, pull the DTC's - can be done with Ign switch on, engine not running - post them here.

Then, remove the Inj Pump nuts, where you can pull the pump back from the timing cover.

If you can see the slight impression from the original pump, re-istall the new pump to that position.

Make sure your INTAKE Air Filter is new, and no one left a shop rag in the inlet ducting, or any small furry nesting creatures have not taken up abode therein.

Unplug the Optic Sensor, start and run the engine for 15minutes to clear the injector pipes.

Reconnect the OS, make sure the engine starts and runs .

If all is well, PCM will relearn TDC Offset required for new pump over period of 50 starts.

Some have suggested that a key on\off procedure also works for the OBD-I series, so you might give that a try.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
TfourCT

The replacement pump was indeed a 5288 and i have tried to pull DTC's but im afraid there arent any. The only information i can get related to timing is that it requests a Desired timing of 14.0 actual timing 14.0. I have also replaced the crankshaft position sensor as i was told that that may be a problem. I have disconnected the Optic Sensor and tried to get the van started but it still just swings and does not start. If anything it actually sounds worse when i disconnect the OS. My problem is that i just cant get the truck running and there doesnt seem to be any logical reason for it other than that perhaps the timing is out. Now my only problem is that i cant reset the timing or do a timing learn proceedure as there is no one here that has the correct diagnostics tools. I have a Tech1 but dont have the cartridge for this van and i have the Snap-On Scanner MT2500 but all that that does is allow me the info on the vehicle but does not allow me to perform any tests or proceedures. You are however right that i do have the OBD-I and if there is some way that a key on/off proceedure may help with the starting can you suggest the proceedure?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
gmctd

The timing figure helps - rotate the pump to the passenger-side by ~5mm.

This will retard the timing by ~10deg - engine should start at +4deg, even with TDC Offset out of spec.

Factory-adjusted timing is +3.5deg.

Dis-connecting the OS allows the engine to run in 'limp-home', or backup mode, where PCM will not be attempting to correct for any other errors.

This will allow Inj Pump to force-clear the injector pipes of any residual air bubbles - you can slightly loosen each pipe fitting at the injector till no bubbles appear.

The DTC procedure and codes are in the FAQ area, and TDG or QM may re-post the TDC Learn procedure, here.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
quantum mechanic

I think I've had this problem before. The CTS (coolant temp. sensor) on the water crossover has become disconnected and the PCM thnks it's -40 *F and is advancing time and dumping fuel. Repair or replace the sensor. The 14* timing gave it away.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
TfourCT

The only problem with that idea is that my scanner is indicating that i have a coolant reading of 28*C. I pressume that gmctd you mean that i just have to loosen the 3 retaining bolts and move the pump by 5mm towards the passenger side?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
TfourCT

thanx for the picture qm, i have checked just now to make sure but my wiring is definately attached to the sensor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in