Step by Step TCC Lockup Mod for ODB1 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
fonecop1
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Step by Step TCC Lockup Mod for ODB1

As promised here are step by step instructions with pics for future reference. Also I want to make sure and mention here that this mod is only supposed to work on ODB1 trucks. And a big Thanks to Jifaire for the information he supplied to get this accomplished.

I came across this rocker switch on some equipment we were throwing away at work so the price was right. It's what is referred to as a "single pole double throw" or SPDT switch. The center pin is connected to one of the outer pins depending on what position the switch is in.

Here is the switch mounted in the dash plate above the cargo lamp switch. All I had to do was cut a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch hole with my dremel tool and stick it in. It was a little loose so a little hot glue helped that out.

This is a picture of the wiring harness I soldered up. I just brought the ground out of the piece of yellow heat shrink since it is just going down right below the switch to tie to a ground. The other two leads I put in black heat shrink and headed toward the PCM behind the glove box.

This picture shows where I tied the ground down. This is connected to one of the outer pins on the rocker switch.

To remove the glove box first release the left side catch that keeps it from opening too far.

Next pull in on the right side corner of the glove box till it clears the dash and comes loose.

This diagram shows the pinout of the front Blue PCM connector that is closest to the firewall. The row that is designated C is the bottom row of this 32 pin connector.

This picture shows the PCM as it sits in the dash, the blue connector is in the very back so I just pulled the PCM out to get to it. I disconnected the cable connectors as I could get to them on the way out.

This picture shows the splice I made. The wire that goes away from the PCM with the blue heat shrink on it is the wire connected to the center pin of the rocker switch. The wire going into the PCM connector is connected to the outer pin of the rocker switch opposite of the ground. I soldered the wires to make sure they are good connections and then used heat shrink to insulate them.

Here is a better look at the blue connector going into the PCM. The picture looks like the brown wire is to the left of the red but it isn't. The red wire is on C10 and the brown wire is on C11. Also in the diagram above, it says C11 has a tan/blk wire, I couldn't see any black stripe on mine it just looked brown to me. The wires on my C1 and C2 were different colors as well but most of the other wire colors matched up with the chart above.

Once the connections were complete I taped it up to protect the wires.

Here is a picture of the finished dash switch. I'll probably add a label on top for "TCC Normal" and one on bottom for "Locked". I picked this dash location because it seemed like the best with the shifter in gear driving down the road.

1995 K1500, 4WD, 6.5 Turbo, S Code,GM-4 Turbo, 3:73 Posi 356,000 Miles, Duramax Fan & Clutch Upgrade, TCC Lockup Mod, Factory Injectors replaced at 287,000 with new Stanadyne
Pinnacle 4 inch Straight Exhaust
Homemade Turbomaster
Manual Glow Plug Override

Last edited by Green Machine; 04-04-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Updated Image URL's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dan Hunter
Diesel Head

Really nice work. Thanks. Sticky or not, I've bookmarked it for this week's to do list.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

Outstanding, Bob... great write-up! Show-and-tell rules, as always!

<-----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
bgittens
Diesel Apprentice

Excelent! This mod has now been bumped up to a higher position on my list!

Mods, how about adding this one to the FAQ?
Reg. Cab Long Box, 4L80E 4.10's Pillar mount ISSPro Gauges (Boost, Trans Temp, Pre-Turbo EGT), 4" exhaust w/o cat, '97 Cooling Upgrade with 2001 Delco D'Max Fan & OE '97 Fan Clutch. B&M deep cast aluminum trans pan, +3qts. Heath Isolator w/ Dipaco PMD. Bosch Duraterm Glowplugs.
Approx 450,000Km's, third owner, third motor (International Diesel Motor).

Coming soon:Turbo Master, PCM.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
6.5silverado
Diesel Nut

looks like a FAQ to me! nice work
95 silverado 4x4 3/4 w/ 1 ton rear axle, 4:10 gears, straignt pipes (4 in), custom wastegate, "F" motor rebuilt by "Jasper", guages, cranked T bars, 265/75-16 Mud Countries, 16" Summit aluminum rims, Pro Comp es9000 shocks, '03 cab lights, "4x4 DIESEL" bed decals, rear locker, TSC diamond plate tool box, brake controller, 800 watts of pure loudness, manual TC lockup, high idle(coming soon), Giant "Yamaha" decal across back window
REG CAB MEMBER #60
TOO LOUD MEMBER #16

Competition riders of America XC racer
'04 YZ250F

Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
mudbath
Diesel Apprentice

I need a "mod fix" as I haven't done one lately and $$$ are short right now so I need a cheap mod so this is it. In cab TCC lock mod.

1995 GMC Sierra 2500 ext. short box, 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4x4
Heath Stage 1 HL4 Performance Combo and remote mounted PMD
F code Intake, Cat gone, EGR gone
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Silvy
Diesel Head

nice instructions fonecop! really appreciate the show-and-tell. Thanks for going through the trouble.
Warpspeed/Flo-Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler, boost/pyro/tranny gauges, high idle switch, stock air intake for summer, gutted 'S' intake, TDCO: -1.94, Eagle Alloy 114 w/ BFG T/A KO 265/70 R17
--Heath Equipment: Max-E-Tork chip, Turbo-Master (11 psi), PMD isolator, HO lift pump
Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
fonecop1
Diesel Apprentice

You're welcome. This job was condusive to taking my time and taking pics along the way. Plus this one looked like uncharted waters as far as connecting it inside the cab so I thought I'd try to save someone else a little time. This site has helped me so much it's unbelievable.
1995 K1500, 4WD, 6.5 Turbo, S Code,GM-4 Turbo, 3:73 Posi 356,000 Miles, Duramax Fan & Clutch Upgrade, TCC Lockup Mod, Factory Injectors replaced at 287,000 with new Stanadyne
Pinnacle 4 inch Straight Exhaust
Homemade Turbomaster
Manual Glow Plug Override
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
mudbath
Diesel Apprentice

Hi, just in the middle of this mod and had a question. In the link to the chart it has normal voltage for C11 key on as B+ which is battery voltage and .4 volts with engine operating. Now if the switch was left in the lock position would this not be putting battery voltage direct to ground when the key is turned on but engine not running yet? Now because this voltage has gone thru a load (soleniod or something) does this make it OK for that to happen?

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/gar...o=full&p=38448

1995 GMC Sierra 2500 ext. short box, 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4x4
Heath Stage 1 HL4 Performance Combo and remote mounted PMD
F code Intake, Cat gone, EGR gone
Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

The voltage load comes from the tranny side... the PCM is responsible for grounding that end of the circuit only. When you interrupt the line (C11) with the switch, you are effectively isolating the PCM... in effect, line C11 is no longer hooked up to anything.

The switch then grounds the wire coming up from the TCC solenoid.

What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what the line voltage was... you cannot hurt the PCM by doing this mod.

<-----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in