Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds..... - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dave12
Diesel Champ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds.....

This is not completely 6.5 related but I think it's very relavent.

We always hear the people in the know around here (gmctd in particular) talking about checking your grounds for almost every problem under the sun.....

Q. "Yeah I got a slow leak in my passenger's side rear tire, what could the problem be?"

A. gmctd, "Um....take it to a tire shop and have them check to see if you picked up a nail or have a poor seal around the rim, and check your grounds from the intake to the fire wall on the passenger's side."

Okay, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

What I discovered yesterday had nothing to do with my truck but a haunting problem with my outboard motor was fixed by finding a bad ground wire.

I have had starting issues with my outboard since I bought it last year. It was hard starting, the starter would spin but wouldn't engage. The repeated attempts to start would cause it to flood, you get the picture. I tried all the usual stuff. Changed spark plugs, put in fresh gas, tinkered with this and that and still nothing. I was getting ready to take it in to have it looked at.

Yesterday as I was getting the boat ready to go out fishing, I was checking a little homemade terminal block that the PO had set up to connect the cables from the battery, to the cables going to the motor. I gave it a little wiggle and low and behold didn't the negative cable coming from the battery fall right out of it's little crimp on connector! Bad ground!

I stripped back the wire a little, made sure it was seated properly, re-crimped and soldered and viola, all fixed. It started like a champ each and every time we were out on the lake.

So kids...remember to check those grounds and keep your head up and your stick on the ice! (just thought I'd throw in a little hockey advise there too eh)

Dave

PS - Happy Father's Day to all the Daddys in Da House!

********Sold with cracked block at 240,000 kms*****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I had started this while at sea couple of weeks ago but Dave beat me to it

Grounds, Grounds, Grounds

ďAll I ever hear here is check my groundsĒ

Are you having white smoke on startup, slow cranking, errant voltage to lift pump, dim headlights, IP sometimes acts like the fuel solenoid isnít getting juice, relays arenít picking up their end of the work.

Well here it goes again check your grounds, see attached photos from some preventative maintenance I was doing while swapping passengers side glows, since I had the inner fender off; and one of the main grounds was fully accessible, as an experiment I thought Iíd check what my resistance from block to frame was, 300 ohm WOW, with only 14Ē of GND strap to the frame that is way too high. I had been having intermittent glow issues, but also knew I had at least 1 maybe more bad glow plug on passenger side.

Modern computer controlled engines literally live or die for want of good electron flow, every circuit relies on good solid & clean grounds. Sensors with resistive feedback are impacted by poor grounds, charging & starting circuits, lighting, glow plugs etc. need good grounding. Cleaner the better, poor grounding causes premature device fails as the circuit heats up as it tries to see paths of least resistance. In attached photos cleaning up main grounds resistance frame to block was reduced from 300 ohm to 0 ohm. I donít have glow problems any more & found only 1 bad glow out of the 8 so maybe 2 things going on in the glow circuit.

Also take notice of fraying of the strap left unattended/un-inspected, that strap sometimes breaks in half and because it is hidden under the turbo/starter sometimes hard to notice until doing maintenance in that area.

So step one in any problem if you havenít checked them in a while is take a look at the grounds, all of them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP02128.JPG (64.5 KB, 5119 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02129.JPG (70.1 KB, 4921 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02130.JPG (78.2 KB, 4888 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02131.JPG (66.2 KB, 4735 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02133.JPG (64.7 KB, 5100 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02132.JPG (70.5 KB, 4690 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02134.JPG (55.2 KB, 4626 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02135.JPG (48.1 KB, 4440 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02136.JPG (58.9 KB, 8481 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02164.JPG (69.4 KB, 4865 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02165.JPG (78.7 KB, 4943 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Puffer
Diesel Champ

Yep it was the bad ground that flattened that tire , , it would not be that way from a good ground.
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
gmctd

Yeah - but was it on the ground when it happened?

Besides - it was only flat on the ground side - is that grounds for concern?

Odd that we boil vegetables, throw out the water and eat the vegetables - why do we boil the coffee, drink the water and throw out the grounds?

Methinks I've just about ground this down to a nub..............
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
94blazer6.5
Diesel Head

I think if we all just stay grounded we will be fine .
1994 Z71 Blazer / remote pmd#7 resister Heath unit / 3" down pipe 4" pipe no CAT/ K&N cold air intake / 97'cooling system with fan & clutch / "S" 6.5 / Autometer gauges EGT pre-turbo, Boost, & trans temp / 10k Pot Boost fooler / Home Made TM / high idle switch / Optic Bump / Removed Vac-Pump

2004 GMC D-MaX LB7 - Stock
Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
thejdman04
Diesel Prodigy

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Midwest Smokers Member

clean tight and bright
1998 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 12 Valve 4x4 10ft Dump Body

Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Carey Weber
Diesel Apprentice

That hole stripped when I cleaned that ground on my truck and I had to find a new bolt for it.

I'd like to kick the ID10T ENG that that put that bolt there under the exhaust manifold.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Nuther archived "well grounded" story https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=157085
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brooklyn tow
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmctd;1858412;
Yeah - but was it on the ground when it happened?

Besides - it was only flat on the ground side - is that grounds for concern?

Odd that we boil vegetables, throw out the water and eat the vegetables - why do we boil the coffee, drink the water and throw out the grounds?

Methinks I've just about ground this down to a nub..............

By the way anyone have a P/N for that braided GROUND strap??

Thanks,
Louis

96 Chevy 3500HD 6.5TD "F" Dual Wheel ..DYNAMIC Wrecker.....3" DP to 4" Exhaust.....SD Fan Clutch.....D Max fan.....PMD Still on IP

Member# 513 DP Dually Club
Member# 2 "Massive Blowby Club"
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

Great thread, guys. Show-and-tell is wonderful.

Now when TD or gmctd tell somebody to "clean your grounds" they have no excuse for just doing the battery terminals and calling it a day.

<-----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in