Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.5L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   Mechanical Wastegate Spring Rate... (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/152289-mechanical-wastegate-spring-rate.html)

Goldsburg 04-22-2007 10:06 PM

Mechanical Wastegate Spring Rate...

I wanted to share with everybody who is looking to build a mechanical wastegate controller (aka homemade TurboMaster) that a spring with a spring rate of 50lbs/in seems to work well. I just got my gauges hooked up this weekend and noticed that my homemade controller does not seem to "peak" then drop to a sustained boost as my previous Heath unit did. Rather the boost comes up and holds steady at 11PSI, without dropping back.

I got the spring from McMaster Carr. If I can find the part number, I will post it in Part Point...

Hopefully this helps!

Tracy 04-23-2007 11:43 AM

When I was making a wastegate for my 93 with GM-3 I found that a spring that would crack/compress at 16 in/pds would get me 8psi boost. Boost lever and spring in stock location and angle . Not sure why I got different figures than you, maybe differant turbo and not talking apples to apples?

Goldsburg 04-23-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy;1737011;
When I was making a wastegate for my 93 with GM-3 I found that a spring that would crack/compress at 16 in/pds would get me 8psi boost. Boost lever and spring in stock location and angle . Not sure why I got different figures than you, maybe differant turbo and not talking apples to apples?

Tracy -

The spring rate will determine how the wastegate behaves once it cracks open, not the maximum level of boost. When you talk about a spring giving you X lbs of boost before the wastegate cracks, that has more to do with spring pre-load than spring rate. The pre-load is adjustable (hence the ability to adjust boost) by cranking down the wing nut on the threaded rod. I could lower the max boost on my setup as well, by backing the wing nut off, but that would not change how it reacts once the wastegate cracks open.

I have seen many people here asking how much spring or what kind of spring to use on a homemade T/M. This will give them an idea of what kind of spring to purchase. McMaster is a great place to find springs with specs so you can get one similar to mine AND some with a slightly and or slightly lower rate if you choose...

Regards,

Tracy 04-24-2007 01:02 PM

How is the spring rate you are talking about arrived at. It is not similar to how valve springs are tested. I was not able to get this type of spring rate info when I was looking for springs at the auto parts store, maybe a more specialized shop could get those figures?

I was able to test the cracking/opening pressure of the wastegate with the spring at its operateing hieght for the GM-3 by using a simple fish scale. Through trial and error I found that a larger dia. spring with more coils per inche gives gives a much more consistant wastegate operation, no spikes or droping of boost after wastegate opens. The wastegate spring I have now is consistant to within 1 psi no matter how the truck is operated.

bkhosken 05-03-2007 02:44 PM

Anyone making DIY mechanical wastegates?

I would like to put in a mechanical wastegate, but rather than spending $30 in parts and fuel to go back & forth to the hardware store 6 times, would anyone be willing to make one for me? All I want is consistent boost, 8-10lbs would be fine. I drive it easy except for once in a while to get on the freeway or pass someone, less than 15-20 sec full throttle.

Goldsburg 05-03-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkhosken;1756289;
I would like to put in a mechanical wastegate, but rather than spending $30 in parts and fuel to go back & forth to the hardware store 6 times, would anyone be willing to make one for me? All I want is consistent boost, 8-10lbs would be fine. I drive it easy except for once in a while to get on the freeway or pass someone, less than 15-20 sec full throttle.

If you want to purchase one, please follow the link to Heath Diesel's Turbo Master page.

Regards,

bkhosken 05-04-2007 12:24 AM

I don't want to spend $100 for one, but i woudl be willing to go $30-$40 or so.

DMDK 05-04-2007 01:39 AM

here u go - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Voodo...QQcmdZViewItem

Goldsburg 05-04-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMDK;1757498;

Oh boy.

You need to realize that this wastegate will not work on a 6.5TD (vacuum or mechanical W/G control). This device is meant for turbo systems that use boost pressure to break open the W/G.

Regards,

DMDK 05-04-2007 10:47 PM

I've read this discription for a boost controler :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:us

and turbo/wg operations and I am not seeing the difference. Thanks.