Intake air temps - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I have a scanner I just got that you can use while you drive and it has an air intake temp reading. I can get it to 250 degree's in a few seconds when I pin it. The intercooler is looking better and better, save the cash.

NRA Member, GOAL member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
quantum mechanic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I have a thermastatic relay for a water to air system, comes on at 180 deg F and off at 150 deg F. I was starting to think 180 deg was too high. but if your making 250! in a few seconds, I would think it would trip the switch.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Billman
Diesel Apprentice

Watching IAT's with a Tech II is what put me over the edge to buy an intercooler 2 years ago. I saw them skyrocket in a hurry while mashing the throttle with no trailer.

Everything you read about an intercooler keeping them to +30* ambient is very true. I couldn't be happier with it.

Or Maybe I Could...

I've now added WMI on top of the Intercooler. While doing some testing last week I was able to keep IAT's AT AMBIENT temperature. This testing was done with no trailer. Long Heavy Hauling has not been put to the test yet.

I Hesitate to even say that I saw Below Ambient Temperatures. I'm not sure if that is possible. When I left work the other day with Tech II hooked up, beginning IAT was 89*. On the highway going home, with water on, I did witness 85*.

There's nothing like Cool, Dense, Intake Air...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Veteran

Billman, What intercooler are you running? What water injection kit? I went as far as to install all of my Heath Diesel water injection but have not installed a tank as I need the bed space. After watching the intake temps I think the bed space is going to get smaller by 10 gallons. I still want a intercooler and will buy one.
NRA Member, GOAL member
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Billman
Diesel Apprentice

I bought the JK/Spearco. Bigger is better. It's Neat & Clean. Worth the extra money.

Turbo Tech's Intercooler has pipes running up through the fenderwell. Ugly AND Small. It would kill me to see that pipe behind the R/F wheel.

I made a Complete Custom WMI system. Very High Pressure, Very Small Nozzle. Custom Hidden Tank. So far, results are amazing.

I've read about your plow mount problems and the fact that you enter Truck Pulls from time to time. You won't regret either way you go. Guaranteed to pull that sled another 75ft.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
lupey6.5
Diesel Apprentice

billman-

post some pics or just a rundown on your wmi. parts and where to get 'em. seems simple from the kits i've looked at but not sure of nozzels, flow rates. "i'm not broke but brother i'm badly bent" and a cheap ***!
--3"downpipe--3"out no muff/cat
homade remote PMD cooler w/ chop/splice harness
14 bolt semi-floater 3.73 gears
33x12.5 BFG Muds 8x15 steel chromies
http://video.dieselplace.com/video/C...F3CA19F15D.htm
http://video.dieselplace.com/video/0...5882AF497E.htm
http://video.dieselplace.com/video/4...3866C9180C.htm
Old 09-19-2004, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
LanduytG
Diesel Boss

I have had the JK large IC for about 4 years now and I never see any more than 120* inlet. Best performance mod money I spent on the old girl. Water injection will never do as well as a big IC.

Greg
Old 09-19-2004, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
spindrift
Glow Plug

Billy,

Don't know if there's any way of doing this on your current set-up, but did you ever isolate the operation of the intercooler from that of the WMI? Which is to say, did you ever measure IAT with the WMI alone?
'98 Chevy Suburban 2500 4X4, 6.5TD, 94K, 4.10 gears, K&N air filter, 4" Magnaflow Performance Exhaust (cat modified), Isspro gauges (boost, tranny, pyro), Bilsteins, remote FSD, Turbo-Master, HO injectors, Max-E-Tork ECM, Jordan controller, Keystone Cougar 304 BHS, GCW 17,800# (without the 7 bikes)
Old 09-19-2004, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
steiner43511
Diesel Nut

for Truck Pulls, wmi will give better benefits then an intercooler.

2001 Chevy 2500HD 8.1/Allison 4x4 3.73s
plugs predator 285s
Old 09-20-2004, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Billman
Diesel Apprentice

Lupey

More pressure is better. That's what I think. I don't need a big nozzle with Intercooler. IC does most of the work. Kinda like a 'Hard Part' that needs no maintenance or refills. Systems can be built very cheap. 'Found' most of my stuff at work.

Sorry, don't have access to camera. Would love to show it off. I'm kinda proud of it actually. Very neat, clean, & HIDDEN.

SD

No. Never isloated WMI without IC. Can be done. Don't really have time right now. I think the 2 systems working together is amazing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in