Turbo rebuild instructions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By six5turbofan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
BKinzey
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Turbo rebuild instructions

Anybody see a step by step instruction on a GM Turbo rebuild? Mines in need of one. I'm also pretty sure I'll need new vanes, intake & exhaust, since the turbo wore out enough that both sides have contacted the housing. I've seen kits but no place to get other parts

'85 M1009. Currently stripped to body on frame.

Planned: Electric windows, locks, top, add A.C. and interior (gray) from donor. Built 700R4 (Mad Dog Transmissions "Godfather") 4" Lift, 35"/36" tires w/HMMWV rims. Heavy duty bumpers w/winch. "Rust Bullet" frame & underside

Now the terror begins!

6.5L, cooling upgrade, GM-4 Turbo,10 Bolt 3/4T 8 lug Front Diff, '79 14BFF, 4.10 gears, '01 Lincoln Navigator power seats. FS 2500 oil filter, Stanadyne FM 100 fuel pump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
six5turbofan

It's not too bad to do...
1. remove the 4 bolts holding the exhaust 90 remove that
2. remove the bolts holding the exhaust turbine housing (use a good penatrating oil on them or heat, they also can only come out so far and then you have to start seperating the housing for them to clear... I used a plastic dead blow hammer to tap it apart just make sure it doesn't **** on there or it will hit the exhaust turbine and leave marks on it.)
3. remove the intake half of the turbine housing (that ones easy)
4. Remove the intake turbine from the shaft. The threads are left hand threads and you can put a wrench on the exhaust side it is part of the shaft (exhaust side doesn't come off it's part of the shaft) The turbine will pull right off after the nut is off.
5. tap the shaft out the back with a rubber or soft faced mallet once it starts moving it goes easy.
6, now the fun part... there are a few screws holding the seal plate in. They are easy to reove just make sure you use the right sized torx bit and when you put the bit in tap it a few times pretty firmly to break the locktite so they will turn. After you get the screws out use a spanner wrench and turn the plate while pulling outward it will come off.
7. the next plate (thrust plate) is a little tougher. the screws holding that one in are very soft and strip out the torx part easy. make sure you have a good fit with your torx bit and once again tap on it firmly to break the locktite hold and be careful not to strip them out. once you get them out you just pull out the thrust plate and you are down to the journal bearings.
8. pull the intake side journal bearing out, then turn over to the exhaust side and remove the snap ring holding the journal in and remove that one.
9. Clean very well and reverse order to reasemble...
10. There is a sealing ring right in front of the exhaust turbine, and the two rings on the intake side.
Depending on what kit you buy some come with a little more parts than others. I've done quite a few of these now and once you get into it, it is pretty much self explainitory...
All threads are right handed except for the intake turbine nut.
On reassembly I always put a small drop of removable locktite on the threads of the thrust plate screws and the seal plate screws.
If you have any other questions or need help just ask I'll try my best to help.
Also if anyone in here has better ways (or corrections) to do any of the steps please speak up... I'm always looking for better ways to do anything...

P.S. I hope this is helpful.. I've been meaning to sit down someday and write up a full step by step but have been to busy to do it. When I did my first one nobody would help me at all not even the slightest (didn't belong here yet). So I just took my time and luckily didn't do to bad on my first one. I've heard of people since I did my first one that stripped out the intake side nut on the shaft and stripped the screws on the thrust plate.
Good luck and take your time and lay out the parts in order if you need and after this one you will be a pro at them...

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
ShawnR
Diesel Fanatic

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Please take pictures when you do this. They would be great to have in an archive.

Member #14: Hanging ATA Intercooler club (self appointed)

Current vehicles.
83 Buick T-type, 97 Buick Park Ave, 03 Honda Odyssey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
BKinzey
Diesel Apprentice

Thanks! I got down to the seal plate on my own and needed help for the rest

This will help with the rest. Like I mentioned rebuild kits are easy to find but what about other parts? Anybody have a line on those?

Planned: Electric windows, locks, top, add A.C. and interior (gray) from donor. Built 700R4 (Mad Dog Transmissions "Godfather") 4" Lift, 35"/36" tires w/HMMWV rims. Heavy duty bumpers w/winch. "Rust Bullet" frame & underside

Now the terror begins!

6.5L, cooling upgrade, GM-4 Turbo,10 Bolt 3/4T 8 lug Front Diff, '79 14BFF, 4.10 gears, '01 Lincoln Navigator power seats. FS 2500 oil filter, Stanadyne FM 100 fuel pump
Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
lost with out spark plugs
Diesel Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to lost with out spark plugs

i did mine when i just needed seale so the the kit was all i needed. $114. my cost for that.i did not find it that hard and i wish i would have had a camara.
2nd owner of my fathers 95 k1500 chevy. down pipe, chip, gages (trans temp, pyro, boost), hd planets in trans, 3rd trans cooler, 3.73 posi,alcohol and water inj. gutted intake, homemade air ride, home made turbo master,
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
six5turbofan

I have one apart right now I'll try to get out and take pictures of it and step by step it. Hopefully this weekend if work allows...
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
BKinzey
Diesel Apprentice

Still looking for a turbo parts, specifically vanes, supplier!

Now the terror begins!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
BKinzey
Diesel Apprentice

BTT. Tried Pinnensular - no go.

Now the terror begins!

Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
4DR4X4
Diesel Apprentice

turbocity or gpopshop should be able to supply parts.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
neepsjeeps

a local turbo shop used a larger phillips self tapping wood screw, they threaded one into each side of the seal plate and then pried up on the screws and the plate came right out, if yours is really stuck try that trick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in