Water to Air Intercooler - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Water to Air Intercooler

Hey Guys,

I have a chance to buy a small water to air Spearco intercooler for around $80 (could probably get it even cheaper)....would it be worth it? It is roughly 6-8" square by 3 1/2 or so inches deep with 2" inlet and outlet...it would just be the intercooler and not the pump or the water cooler....

07.5 LMM DMAX, 2500 HD, LT, PCV re-route, resonator delete, Edge EVO/RACE - level 2, colibert gooseneck hitch, Tekonsha PrimusIQ Controller, Bushwhacker Pocket flares, Scorpion color match bedliner and rockers, levelled, 285 General AT2's, AFE 4" exhaust, PPE tierod sleeves --> coming soon: lift pump, Trans Go Jr.

06 Cadillac Escalade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Several have looked at WTA, they work but you will also need something to cool the water after it has done it's work cooling the air, so a resevoir, 2nd heat exchanger, and circ pump & plumbing need to be thought out as well

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

Yeah, and you need a large enough volume of water so it can be cooled faster than it gathers heat from the WTA unit...

Kind of the same principle the PMD heatsink operates under. If your volume of water is too small, you need fairly agressive cooling measures, as TD mentioned, otherwise the water starts to heat up, and you lose the differential between the water temp and your IAT, which is what makes the idea plausible in the first place.

Most guys that use WTA cooling are using it for strip racing - they can put in ice water, run their race, drain out the hot stuff, put in new ice water, and start over.

A little hard to come by in beautiful downtown Prairie, I would think. That's why ATA is better for us - even though it's not as efficient, the air is readily available and constantly replenished.

My $.02, FWIW

<-----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
mr_goodwrench_06
Glow Plug

You just need to spend a little more effort to make a much better system.

Syclones & Typhoons don't have a problem. Also, when you are not in the boost, the charge air helps to cool the water.

A nice little rad out of a Geo or something would work well I think. Put it in front of your rad.

Bill

'95 GMC 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
4X4 NV4500 3" body lift 33X12.5 tires

2007 Kawasaki MeanStreak 1600
Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

I was thinking of using either a heater core out of an old Ford truck or a pair of oil coolers in series to use as a heat exchanger....I would use an electric water pump and an old coolant reservoir as the container to hold the antifreeze/water mixture....then all I would have to do is run the piping....

I will give the guy a shout tonight and see if I can still steal this intercooler for around $80.....it would be a nice project....
07.5 LMM DMAX, 2500 HD, LT, PCV re-route, resonator delete, Edge EVO/RACE - level 2, colibert gooseneck hitch, Tekonsha PrimusIQ Controller, Bushwhacker Pocket flares, Scorpion color match bedliner and rockers, levelled, 285 General AT2's, AFE 4" exhaust, PPE tierod sleeves --> coming soon: lift pump, Trans Go Jr.

06 Cadillac Escalade
Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dave12
Diesel Champ

You are an ambicious Lad, you are. Good luck. From everything I've read about what you've done so far, it will be a piece of cake!

Dave

********Sold with cracked block at 240,000 kms*****
Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12;1651184;
You are an ambicious Lad, you are. Good luck. From everything I've read about what you've done so far, it will be a piece of cake!

Dave
lol....I am by no means an engineer....some common sense should work for me though.....I hope

06 Cadillac Escalade
Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

Is it worth $80 CDN?? Just the core...

This used to be in a Civic....has a port for an extra injector...I am thinking a WMI jet could fit nicely....

Let me know what you think (I will probably buy it anyways....my wife's Jimmy could use a turbo if it isn't big enough for my truck )....

Approximate dimensions are 8.5" X 7" X 3.75"

EDIT - inlets are 2.25"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture_079.jpg (69.6 KB, 907 views)
File Type: jpg Picture_080.jpg (71.4 KB, 812 views)
File Type: jpg Picture_082.jpg (58.8 KB, 869 views)

06 Cadillac Escalade

Last edited by chrisk1500; 03-26-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
jifaire
Diesel Guru

I dunno, Chris ... you could use the ice to keep your beer cold and just drive slower... Sort of a 'feeding the beast' mod for the driver...

<-----
Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

lol....no ice needed...

Here is my plan...

1. 4 liter holding tank (unless someone thinks that is too small)
2. Continuous duty water pump off of a Ford Lightning
3. Heat exchanger (I am tossing around a few ideas....one is putting another cooler in front of the rad the other idea is to run a few oil coolers in series and use fans to move air over them)
4. Use a 60/40 mix of antifreeze and water with water wetter additive to break the water's surface tension

Whaddya think? Enough baler wire in this idea?

06 Cadillac Escalade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in