Leaking coolant quick connect? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
TurboTahoe
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Leaking coolant quick connect?

Hi guys,

I have a '99 burb and a '95 Tahoe - I've noticed that the last couple of months there seems to be some 'weeping' of coolant from what appears to be a 'quick connect' aluminum pipe located on the passenger side of the engine bay, near the top. Both vehicles seem to be suffering from this. How do I repair this? Thanks,

Rob

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04365.jpg (115.2 KB, 1403 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04363.jpg (140.0 KB, 1321 views)
1995 2-door 1/2 ton Tahoe 6.5 TD. Red/Silver Two-Tone with Grey Leather. Positraction Rear End, 3.73, 4L80-E, 4WD, HyperTech chip, Flowmaster crossover and downpipe, modified intake plenum, '97 air cleaner assembly with factory filter, 3" lift, Model 280 flex-a-lite electric fans (which solved cooling problems caused by body lift), Centerline wheels, PowerSlot brake rotors, 175K miles. Hellwig front and rear swaybars. Rancho adjustable shocks on all 4 corners, Heath Remote mount FSD. 0-60 in 9.5 seconds.

1999 3/4 Ton Suburban 6.5 TD SLT Kid Hauler. 124K miles. Black with Tan leather. Hellwig sway bars front and rear. Flowmaster downpipe. Remote FSD under-the-bumper with Kennedy 72" harness and SSDiesel FSD Cooler. PowerSlot brake rotors. THIS RIG IS FOR SALE HERE: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/45-...condition.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chris611
Glow Plug

I removed the quick connect fitting and screwed a fitting that has a male NPT and a hose barb on the other end. Then cut the aluminum tube. Connect a rubber tube between the two. One problem that you may find, I did, is that the connector that goes into the thermostat housing may break on you. I had to removed the housing and ended up drilling the fitting out and retapping the hole. I've read that its pretty common for these to leak.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
1994SPLODER

these things are nitorius for leaking on all gm engines, even the brand new ones will leak soon enough, i like chris611's idea i will try that when mine starts to leak again
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
SnowDrift
Diesel Boss

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTahoe;1615584;
Hi guys,

I have a '99 burb and a '95 Tahoe - I've noticed that the last couple of months there seems to be some 'weeping' of coolant from what appears to be a 'quick connect' aluminum pipe located on the passenger side of the engine bay, near the top. Both vehicles seem to be suffering from this. How do I repair this? Thanks,

Rob
OEM part lasted 12 years, right? Replace it with another OEM part and you might get another 12.
1995 K2500HD EC/LB 6.5 TD "F" engine. Banks stinger exhaust w/triple gauges on pillar, Heath Diesel remote PMD, Heath HD fan clutch, Turbo-Master controller set at 15 psi, Maxi-Torque EPROM version GL4, Heath HO injectors, AFE air filter, vacuum pump removed, many exterior goodies. <><
Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
TurboTahoe
Diesel Nut

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My local dealer has them in stock "common failure, says he" for $11.68 each. It appears they are the same for both vehicles. That's inexpensive enough that I'll probably just put new quick-connects in, unless someone has an extremely allergic reaction. I thank you guys for your input - I always value it.

Sincerely,

Rob
1995 2-door 1/2 ton Tahoe 6.5 TD. Red/Silver Two-Tone with Grey Leather. Positraction Rear End, 3.73, 4L80-E, 4WD, HyperTech chip, Flowmaster crossover and downpipe, modified intake plenum, '97 air cleaner assembly with factory filter, 3" lift, Model 280 flex-a-lite electric fans (which solved cooling problems caused by body lift), Centerline wheels, PowerSlot brake rotors, 175K miles. Hellwig front and rear swaybars. Rancho adjustable shocks on all 4 corners, Heath Remote mount FSD. 0-60 in 9.5 seconds.

1999 3/4 Ton Suburban 6.5 TD SLT Kid Hauler. 124K miles. Black with Tan leather. Hellwig sway bars front and rear. Flowmaster downpipe. Remote FSD under-the-bumper with Kennedy 72" harness and SSDiesel FSD Cooler. PowerSlot brake rotors. THIS RIG IS FOR SALE HERE: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/45-...condition.html
Old 02-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
joispoi
Diesel Kingpin

they didn't have them at the dealership when mine gave out. I went to the hardware store and bought a brass hose barbs and then I went to napa for the hose. I think the brass hose barb will outlast the truck. Probably the same price as going to the dealer.

1991 Mercedes 1922 hooklift 12L v6

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
- Mark Twain

"You can't have 'no' in your heart." - Joe Dirt
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Turbine Doc

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDrift;1618114;
OEM part lasted 12 years, right? Replace it with another OEM part and you might get another 12.
My only concern though when I swapped mine for a barb fitting was looking at the overall design, little plastic clips, o-rings, and on the hi-way fully loaded and it letting go, and no way to fix it unless carrying a spare.

Least case loose some coolant, worst case loose engine

With the barb fitting and rubber hose, I can replace the bad hose, or if in a really bad bind, duct tape to the rescue, temp patch on the hose so I can limp to somewhere and get a hose.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Found it at NAPA today. P/N: 730-4943. Is there a tool to open the quick (dis)connect? They seem to not have it in stock.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
chrisk1500
Diesel Superstar

The only 'tool' you need is an opposable thumb....

Squeeze the tabs and pull after you of course have taken out the nuts that hold the hose onto the intake...
07.5 LMM DMAX, 2500 HD, LT, PCV re-route, resonator delete, Edge EVO/RACE - level 2, colibert gooseneck hitch, Tekonsha PrimusIQ Controller, Bushwhacker Pocket flares, Scorpion color match bedliner and rockers, levelled, 285 General AT2's, AFE 4" exhaust, PPE tierod sleeves --> coming soon: lift pump, Trans Go Jr.

06 Cadillac Escalade
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
TurboTahoe
Diesel Nut

I just picked up one from the dealer. I will take a couple of photos and post here so that you can see how they are made. I agree - it is surprising that they last as long as they do, given the seemingly minimal construction.

Sincerely,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in