Question: Front End and Steering Upgrades - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Ya we hear ya, town/subdivision living can suck.

If the diff is 90% ready to go it might take 3 hrs to pull the 10B and roll it out the front, then rolling the 60 under and doing up the 3 ubolts and 2 straight bolts and setting it back down then deal with hooking up brake lines, steering, shocks and drive line.

I will say that you can almost bench press a 10B in, a 60 ... nope, so at least have a buddy around.

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! Timing Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Superstar

Ehhhh, two guys can heft a 60 around. Does it suck, yeah, but doable. The other option is moving dollies. They'll fit between a 2ft area and make your life easy. Totally doable!

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
PropBlast
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The Suburban Club Member

Yup! Ben thinkn bout that myself. After talkin w/you guys and doing more research I'm convinced that a 60 in front is the way. I don't see this happening any time soon the way things are shaking-out around here with other projects etc., but at least I wont be buying anything else for a 10B project anytime soon! Other areas that need work or improvement on are engine, cooling system, and electrics. Future plans include (aside from the 60/14) front winch bumper and winch, rear bumper w/swing away, wheels and tires (35's on there now), lights, and roof rack.

In the meantime, I've got a '77 jeep Cherokee w/401 that I promised my 14yr old grandson would be his, that needs a ton of work as well. Yes I'm sticking w/the 401 inspight of all the old wives tales about oiling problems (easyly taken care of during re-build), and they lend themselves well to building for O.R. torque with fairly good AMC and aftermarket parts availability.

Just like most, I'm on a limited project budget that gets funded once a month after everything and everyone else is taken care of. I mean I would be happy to live outa the Burb while working on her, but can't figure out where to mount my 60" flat screen and recliner!*#!

PropBlast/Doc

90 Chev V-1500 Burb, 6.2, Banks Turbo; Earls Plumbing Eng Oil Cooler, B&W Tranny Cooler, Nations 200amp Alt.; 2 Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST Marine Batteries; PRO Charging Systems Dual Pro SE 12v 20a Onboard Battery Charger (custom fab mtg. bracket); Rebuilt Str. Col.; 4" SkyJacker lft kit; PSC steering gearbox, ORD frame brace

77 Jeep Cherokee Chief 'S', 401, TH400, D-44's, 4" Skyjacker Susp lft., Hydroboost, 35" MT Baja; Griffen Al. Rad., on-board welder, currently sitting on jack stands waiting for engine build or swap + re-wire and other up-grades/mods (fuel cell/relocate battery's/axel & gear mods, etc.).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropBlast View Post
But then, a carport and asphault driveway is better then nothing (at least thats what I tell myself).

It's better than on cardboard in the dirt, when the weather gets cold where I am all work stops til spring.
If it's above 40 degrees I will get out there accomplish at least something.
I need a shop bad and I think it will be my number one goal for next year.
All I want is something big enough fit one car in, just a cement floor and one of those metal structures would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
~ Bob
1987 K20 5.7 TBI 700r4 np208
1990 C1500 5.7 700r4 Short stepside
1999 Chevrolet K2500 5.7L Auto
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp

Do yourself a favor and read the 6.2 Diesel Student Training Manual ... lots of good info...it's in PDF format located here >> PDF Manuals

Last edited by legendman; 12-02-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

..."something big enough fit one car in"...

Yeah, that works for about a week. Then you'll wonder why didn't you make it a bit bigger for some tool boxes, and a bit more room so you can use an engine lift without hitting a wall, some shelving for parts & accessories, run some 220V in so you can use a welder, air compressor in that corner....on and on...
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Old 12-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post

Yeah, that works for about a week. Then you'll wonder why didn't you make it a bit bigger for some tool boxes, and a bit more room so you can use an engine lift without hitting a wall, some shelving for parts & accessories, run some 220V in so you can use a welder, air compressor in that corner....on and on...

That's what the hoop sheds are for all the extra.... stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
~ Bob
1987 K20 5.7 TBI 700r4 np208
1990 C1500 5.7 700r4 Short stepside
1999 Chevrolet K2500 5.7L Auto
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp

Do yourself a favor and read the 6.2 Diesel Student Training Manual ... lots of good info...it's in PDF format located here >> PDF Manuals
Old 12-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Superstar

It's like the old horse trailer problem. A neighbor explained it to me really well. You always get a trailer one horse bigger than you need. That way when you take a friend along you got a spot. Same with cars. When you get a new 4 wheeled friend you got a spot for it
Old 12-05-2019, 02:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

FFFsss... don't let my wife see that!!

I already have a 5 horse, with living quarters ....

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! Timing Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
PropBlast
Block Heater

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post

Those are all the kind of 'problems' I'm looking forward too!

PropBlast/Doc

90 Chev V-1500 Burb, 6.2, Banks Turbo; Earls Plumbing Eng Oil Cooler, B&W Tranny Cooler, Nations 200amp Alt.; 2 Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST Marine Batteries; PRO Charging Systems Dual Pro SE 12v 20a Onboard Battery Charger (custom fab mtg. bracket); Rebuilt Str. Col.; 4" SkyJacker lft kit; PSC steering gearbox, ORD frame brace

77 Jeep Cherokee Chief 'S', 401, TH400, D-44's, 4" Skyjacker Susp lft., Hydroboost, 35" MT Baja; Griffen Al. Rad., on-board welder, currently sitting on jack stands waiting for engine build or swap + re-wire and other up-grades/mods (fuel cell/relocate battery's/axel & gear mods, etc.).
Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
juanfo
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboytoys View Post

Would your HOA allow a tarp shed? I do mine full outdoors cause it doesn't fit in a shop with a 8ft ceiling.
Monster truck problems

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in