Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   Question: 6.2L Won't start without a shot of ether. (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/978590-6-2l-wont-start-without-shot-ether.html)

riverrev 09-10-2019 09:45 PM

6.2L Won't start without a shot of ether.

Hello all, I am new here, not too new to Diesels, own a 2015 3500 Duramax, still under warranty, not new to working on vehicles, as I have done so all my life, 50+ years. I am new to working on diesels. Just bought a 1984 GMC 3500 6.2l Stake side, to work around my farm with. I was told that it was not the original motor, tho the truck was originally a 6.2l, it has a Toole Army Depot 6.2l engine in it now. I need some help or info, so to start the truck, a minor bit of ether is needed, which I see here is not a good thing, after that she runs beautifully. Would seem to be an initial fuel issue, but I don't have a clue, where to start. Help please.

OkDually 09-10-2019 10:08 PM

Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your post over to the 6.2L section for better responses to your issues

:thumb:

bobbywalter 09-10-2019 11:22 PM

does it have a block heater? if so plug it in for an hour or two and see how it starts.

if it fires right up then it maybe glow plug issues. easy place to start.

roadhog0 09-11-2019 01:04 AM

Glow plugs not lighting probably. Does the glow plug light come on? Does it have push button glow plugs?

davester 09-11-2019 01:49 AM

Note, do not use ether with working glow plugs...

Bigboytoys 09-11-2019 02:12 AM

Ya pleeeease DON"T USE ETHER ... us pam cooking spray, WD40 depending on your area ...

Yes, my bet is either glow plugs not working or you have an air leak?

Does it run clean and not miss fire once starting? Then it's not air ...

And ...

Welcome to the Diesel Place !! The Big Show !!

:bigglasse

82Kbody 09-11-2019 03:55 AM

Don't use Ether... bad Idea. Yes WD-40 works :thumb:

riverrev 09-11-2019 08:19 AM

Got it ether bad. Runs beautifully once started. No missing. No glow plug light when purchased, replaced glow plug relay, now it cycles and glow plug light works. No push button.

What I'm trying to wrap my gasoline head around, If it is a glow plug issue, then why is it firing off with the injection of ether, what is providing the fire to ignite the fuel? There's no white smoke when she is spinning over, brand new batteries, fresh fuel, with sea foam additive.

OkDually 09-11-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverrev (Post 9847202)
Got it ether bad. Runs beautifully once started. No missing. No glow plug light when purchased, replaced glow plug relay, now it cycles and glow plug light works. No push button.

What I'm trying to wrap my gasoline head around, If it is a glow plug issue, then why is it firing off with the injection of ether, what is providing the fire to ignite the fuel? There's no white smoke when she is spinning over, brand new batteries, fresh fuel, with sea foam additive.

Ether is very volatile. Diesel engines use compression to ignite the fuel for combustion.
Compression creates heat and your ignition source.
A glow plug is needed for initial starting to preheat the air inside of a prechamber where the atomized fuel and glow plug meet.

Adding ether to this equation can cause pre-detonation and severe engine damage when it comes into contact with a hot glow plug.

I would go through your glow plug system from batteries/cables to glow plug relay and all grounds.
Then inspect the glow plug harness and then pull each glow plug and test each one with 12v applied and watch them glow. ( using caution not to get burned.)
They should all glow evenly. If you have any doubts, replace them all.

riverrev 09-11-2019 12:34 PM

Ok, I am convinced for now. Did glow plug test, took awhile for each to heat up and barely glow. 6 of them were 9g with a 3/16" tang, 2 were 13g with 1/4" tang. Replacement recommendations please?