6.2 Detroit to 5.9 Cummins swap - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JCDiesel
  • 2 Post By roadhog0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2019, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
rerollinchevys
Sparkplug Hunter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.2 Detroit to 5.9 Cummins swap

I have a 1984 Chevy suburban with the original 6.2L detroit and the horrible transmission to go with it which is currently blown. The truck has Dana 1 ton axles front and rear. Which may get swapped with all this work im intending on doing. I want to pull the 6.2 and tranny and than remove all the wires, (lights, batteries, spark plugs pull the seats out basically get her down to a skeleton to rewire everything and clean it up..including sand paint the engine bay..having the motor pulled out will also give me a chance to get to the break booster/ master cylinder to have all the drums swapped to disc..lots of big plans wondering if anyone knows a good place to start any good suggestions..? or how bad is it to rewire all the lights and glow plugs..? I am familiar with wire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
JCDiesel
Let's take the Truck!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

There shouldnt be spark plugs. Has a hydroboost brake unit that runs off the ps pump. Not familiar with swapping in a Cummins so maybe check a cummins swap site this is the 6.2 detroit section. Good luck with your project lots of wiring diagrams and such in the faq for free download.

82 C10 2WD 6.2 Parts Truck
91 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.2 Bad Transmission
85 Cadillac Deville factory 4.3 Oldsmobile Diesel
91 GMC Sierra K1500 6.2 NA Bad Transmission
94 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD All the normal stuff done. DE exhaust Custom Parker Racor Rust free beauty
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
my guess would be shocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacalips View Post
Even the guys who own them aren't 5.7 guys.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

I did a Cummins swap a few years ago in a K30, there are a lot of things to think about.
Here are some links to swap sites, start reading.

https://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

Diesel Conversions - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
~ Bob
1987 K20 5.7 TBI 700r4 np208
1999 Chevrolet K2500 5.7L Auto
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
2002 Golf TDi 4dr 5sp

Do yourself a favor and read the 6.2 Diesel Student Training Manual ... lots of good info...it's in PDF format located here >> PDF Manuals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

I'll save you grief, grey hair & balding, welding burns, smashed fingers, endless hrs of researching a solution to a problem & finding parts, friends, money, your marriage ... by rehoming that truck for you ...

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 09-06-2019, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Superstar

It's already got front discs. Rear drums are fine. I have not found a rear disc swap that lives up to my standards. The big drums work pretty good back there. But you're sorta in the wrong spot for a 5.9 swap. Might want to check the swap sights, we usually keep the 6.2's on the road here
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
bobbywalter
Diesel Boss

i have worked on many swaps. mostly gas v8 into rangers and pintos and crazy crap like that...but many types of diesel swaps and refits in commercial applications as well...going from cat to detroit back to cat ect...

but in this case, i am one more voice.... for this is not the place for cummins swap details. hard enough to keep on top of these 6.x critters.

but if i had a 3/4 ton or larger truck and i was wanting to tow with it. cummins all the way. or duramax.

i like the lug-nut 4x4 brake upgrades though. i have installed several and am ordering a setup for myself soon.

for wiring...the setups from speedway are real nice...the 22 circuit system is my favorite. lots of options and adding a extra block is usually not needed.

i think you can do it pretty quickly and cost effectively these days with so much data available....

i cant imagine having all this info back in the 80's and 90's....
1988 FORD 4x4 Ranger. swapped in mis-match hodge podge of HMMV-CUCV 6.2 stuff / 4l80 into ford np208. All that crap is riding on ford 60's spinning 305 tires on up to 44's depending on the days menu.. so how ya like me now?

Last edited by bobbywalter; Today at 01:08 AM.
Old Today, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sparkys Tacoma
Diesel Boss

I am tempted a few times a year to do a cummins swap. But my 6.5 is faster than my friends 5.9 in 95 with a few add ons. But if we are both towing he kills me

91 Chevy K2500 6.2L Detroit.
4X4 4.10's stock everything but
Dual exhaust. Reg cab. gone but not forgotten

2015 Ram ProMaster 2500 Diesel 3.0L 4cyl 20mpg city 30 hiway

Last edited by Sparkys Tacoma; Today at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in