Question: Engine hesitates and sometimes stalls shortly after ignition - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
jontsa
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Engine hesitates and sometimes stalls shortly after ignition

The problem first appeared months ago with little symptoms: just little hesitation after engine was started and after a short while engine was back to normal. However it has slowly gotten worse. Now after engine start, it hesitates badly and sometimes even stalls.

This happens with both hot and cold engine. It starts right up but starts hesitating badly after about 5 seconds of idle. It lasts about 15-30 seconds and then starts running normal. No smoke and drives just fine after this. Often it is so bad that the engine stalls and takes lot of cranking / giving more gas to get it running.

New fuel pickup in the tank, fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel pump (acdelco) were installed about a year ago. Car has mechanical IP which was rebuilt few years ago and marine injectors installed. I tested 7 of the 8 injectors with a cheap injector tester which showed injectors popping between 1750-1900psi with ok spray pattern in each and no leaking. I don't know how old the glow plugs are. Engine was rebuilt some years ago and eaton m112 installed.

The engine shakes a bit on idle which goes away when giving bit more gas.

I'm out of ideas what to check. Suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Put a clear line on the return off the injection pump and see if there are any air bubbles.
Ideally after sitting overnight you want a small bubble the next morning, if the line is empty then there is a air leak between the tank and injection pump.
Also take off the fuel cap/s and see how it runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
~ Bob
1987 K20 5.7 TBI 700r4 np208
1999 Chevrolet K2500 5.7L Auto
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
2002 Golf TDi 4dr 5sp

Do yourself a favor and read the 6.2 Diesel Student Training Manual ... lots of good info...it's in PDF format located here >> PDF Manuals
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Sounds like air getting in somewhere to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
jontsa
Low Boost

Thanks. Air was my guess also but I have not found the source yet. I will re-check all hose clamps and filter housing. All hoses are new so there should not be any cracks. Filter housing is a generic one from local parts store, probably for farm equipment
I was aware of the clear return line hose trick but never tried because the hose is no longer easily accessible. I will have to try it.

How removing the fuel filler cap can affect the engine running?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontsa View Post
How removing the fuel filler cap can affect the engine running?

If it's a gasser cap it won't vent properly and a vacuum gets created in the tank.
Quote:
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
~ Bob
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
2002 Golf TDi 4dr 5sp

Do yourself a favor and read the 6.2 Diesel Student Training Manual ... lots of good info...it's in PDF format located here >> PDF Manuals
Old 09-05-2019, 02:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
jontsa
Low Boost

legendman: Thanks for the tip. Keeping the cap slightly open did not have an effect on the issue but the cap might be from the time before engine swap so I might get a new one at some point.

I checked all clamps at the fuel filter with no effect. Still need to check at the fuel pump and at the injection pump which is hard to reach. Any other places I should check for air leaks? There is no diesel visible anywhere.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
I was aware of the clear return line hose trick but never tried because the hose is no longer easily accessible. I will have to try it.

Huh? Where you put the clear line should be easily accessible on a K1500. It's right on top of the injection pump.

Also, try cracking each injector line while it's running to see if there is any change in idle. Crack a line and you should notice the idle change and it stumble.

Also check the light load advance, instructions are in the student manual.
Quote:
~ Bob
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
2002 Golf TDi 4dr 5sp

Old 09-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
jontsa
Low Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
Huh? Where you put the clear line should be easily accessible on a K1500. It's right on top of the injection pump.

The custom intake covers the IP and makes it difficult to access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
Also check the light load advance, instructions are in the student manual.

I pressed the light load advance arm while engine was idling but did not notice any change in RPM or engine sound. There was however a rattling or "clinking" noise when pressing the arm and it sounded like it was coming from the IP. Looking at the manual and videos found in the forum, I assume there should be a clear change in the RPM?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
The custom intake covers the IP and makes it difficult to access.

I pressed the light load advance arm while engine was idling but did not notice any change in RPM or engine sound. There was however a rattling or "clinking" noise when pressing the arm and it sounded like it was coming from the IP. Looking at the manual and videos found in the forum, I assume there should be a clear change in the RPM?

Take the intake off and run it, this check is very important, you will be going around in circles if there is air causing these issues.
While running there might be some very small bubbles, but the key indicator of a air leak is the line being clear after sitting over night.

Yes, the idle should fish bite, I think you need to bump the timing to the drivers side. About a dimes width then check again.
Quote:
~ Bob
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
2002 Golf TDi 4dr 5sp

Old 09-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

We need pic's of this cause the return line comes right off the front of the IP by the rad hose ... shouldn't be that hard to do ...

I would say the timing could be bumped up and see what happens or the advance system isn't working, try bumping it 3 time up and get back to us, but don't drive it that far advanced till we get back to you.

You can install check valves from Eburp but the are a hack way of patching a leaking system. You still have leaks but the check valve stops the fuel from running back the fuel lines.

Any loose, cracked, rusted rubber or steel line from the IP inlet & the fuel filter & tank switching valve if you have dual tanks alllll the way back to include the fuel line on the sender in the tank can be your problem .... fun eh ...

I pressurize the fuel system to find leaks like this, no more than 5 psi ... and we can walk you through this if you want to do this as there are a few ways of doing it.

Did I mention ...

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in