Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.2L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   water pump differences (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/978060-water-pump-differences.html)

88blazer 08-18-2019 07:17 PM

water pump differences

Can anyone tell me the differences in water pumps and what years are different?I have an engine that needs a water pump and would like to know how to identify which one I need before I tear it apart.

88blazer 08-18-2019 07:18 PM

I should ad that it's a v-belt setup

redpepper 08-19-2019 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88blazer (Post 9841836)
I should ad that it's a v-belt setup

Use a marine one
they shift more water if you have overheating problems with twin thermo housing on fresh water side
My chevys are marine and shift 70 per gallons per minute through cooling raw water system i had a burst pipe on it and had 3 x2000ltr per minute bilge pumps running to keep up with flood !

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

88blazer 08-19-2019 04:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the twin thermostat mods and I don't have an over heating issue either. In fact just the opposite. I can't seem to get enough heat out of my K5 during the Winter mos. But that's a whole different thread. I replace the w pump 3 yrs ago . The engine is a '91 so I ordered a pump for a '91. When I got it it had a bolt pattern different to the one on the engine. So, I went back and got one for an '84. That one fit. The felpro engine gasket kit I have has 2 different gaskets . I have since gotten a timing cover gasket kit ( for other work that needed to be done) and it also has 2 different gaskets.
I want to order a new pump from Rock Auto but there are at least 3 different Delco part numbers between an '84 and '91. For a '91 their listing says there's 2 different pumps and to verify which one I need . Unfortunately they don't say how.
I just want to get the right one ahead of time.

legendman 08-19-2019 08:16 AM

What thermostat are you using? It might be opening too soon,
get a stant if you can.

Bigboytoys 08-20-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88blazer (Post 9841884)
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the twin thermostat mods and I don't have an over heating issue either. In fact just the opposite. I can't seem to get enough heat out of my K5 during the Winter mos. But that's a whole different thread. I replace the w pump 3 yrs ago . The engine is a '91 so I ordered a pump for a '91. When I got it it had a bolt pattern different to the one on the engine. So, I went back and got one for an '84. That one fit. The felpro engine gasket kit I have has 2 different gaskets . I have since gotten a timing cover gasket kit ( for other work that needed to be done) and it also has 2 different gaskets.
I want to order a new pump from Rock Auto but there are at least 3 different Delco part numbers between an '84 and '91. For a '91 their listing says there's 2 different pumps and to verify which one I need . Unfortunately they don't say how.
I just want to get the right one ahead of time.

Ya the reason is there is V belt used in real 1 tons, Blazers and Suburbans till 91 annnd serpentine belt used in the 1/2T, 3/4T and low spec 1 T all on the GMT 400 chassis from 88 on up .... and throw in 2 different power steering pumps ... now you see the issue...

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendman (Post 9841908)
What thermostat are you using? It might be opening too soon,
get a stant if you can.

Yes, get a Geni GM or Stant stat and you may change it in 7-8 years...

As for dual stat's, most just find them a PITA cause 1 will fail and can cook one side of the engine while the temp gauge doesn't move cause it's on the other side of the block ...

:bigglasse

88blazer 08-20-2019 04:48 AM

thermostat

Ah, ok that explains it. Thanks.

I'm running a Napa # 381-190 at 195*. I tested it in some hot water on the stove and it worked fine. I'm confident it 's the right one but if someone can correct me by all means please tell me. When I rebuilt the engine the block was hot tanked and the entire cooling system was new and I mean everything. I checked the HVAC controls and the blend door . All ok. I even run a factory squarebody winterfront and the heat still leaves a lot to be desired.

legendman 08-20-2019 08:14 AM

Tell us more about this

84 stepside with 3-53T Detroit 5 spd O/D Spicer

Also any chance you can see any part #'s on the water pump that's currently on the K5?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88blazer (Post 9842124)
All ok. I even run a factory squarebody winterfront and the heat still leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe it's not working hard enough, when I had my plow trucks they would get so warm I'd have to roll the windows down.

juanfo 08-20-2019 02:57 PM

I get all the heat I need through the unshielded floorboards, the hacked up doghouse and the holes in the firewall.

redpepper 08-20-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigboytoys (Post 9842120)
Ya the reason is there is V belt used in real 1 tons, Blazers and Suburbans till 91 annnd serpentine belt used in the 1/2T, 3/4T and low spec 1 T all on the GMT 400 chassis from 88 on up .... and throw in 2 different power steering pumps ... now you see the issue...

Yes, get a Geni GM or Stant stat and you may change it in 7-8 years...

As for dual stat's, most just find them a PITA cause 1 will fail and can cook one side of the engine while the temp gauge doesn't move cause it's on the other side of the block ...

:bigglasse

They run best @180°stats mine run @195°

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk