Diesel Place banner

Banks Turbo Rebuild?

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Texas Diesel Guy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The one thing on my truck that I haven't replaced or repaired is the Banks Turbo. I just went on a 700 miles round trip and about 200 miles in, the turbo started whining if there was any boost. If you are familiar with the Banks set up, you know they are pretty quiet so this had me worried.

My first thought was maybe it wasn't getting oil so I disconnected the feed line and started the motor which quickly shot oil about 20 feet across the gas station so oil pressure wasn't my problem.

So, I babied it the rest of the trip (which is a lot of fun when you are climbing over a 7500 foot pass through the Sierras) and I am back home now. I figure the turbo needs to rebuilt. The first thing I find is that Banks doesn't seem to sell rebuild kits so I started investigating. As far as I can tell, it is a Mitsubishi T04B turbo and there are tons of rebuild kits available on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/i/183730493390?chn=ps).

My question is, has anyone rebuilt one of these? Anything I should be looking our for?

#4 ·
Thanks a lot. All info seems to point to that one rebuild kit.

Now, I just need to get the bolts holding the turbo on the manifold to come loose.

#6 ·
Got the rebuild kit and managed to get the nuts off the manifold after a lot of swearing.

Now, I need to get the wheel shroud out of the exhaust housing and can't seem to figure out how. I'm sure it just needs a little encouragement but I am not sure what I can put force on to do that.

Attachments

Reactions: Bigboytoys
#7 ·
The spelling error in the title is going to drive me nuts.

Anyway, a little heat got the wheel shroud off. Lots of crud and crap in there took me forever to clean up.

Started putting it back together and realized that the turbine end piston ring was completely missing from the old shaft. This is probably the reason for all the carbon crud. Of course, this is a part that isn't in the rebuild kit so I am trying to track down a new one.

#8 ·
Reactions: RatsMC
#9 ·
Thanks a lot!

Also, I found the piston ring so it is going back together. Good thing to. The one I found on Ebay is $16 which is stupid but then I noticed they want $26 for shipping! For a half inch ring clip. I hate ebay.

#10 ·
Well. Turbo rebuilt and back in...

But it is still whining. Maybe not as loud as just before the rebuild but definitely louder than it was a couple months ago.

So...did I just screw things up? The rebuild was pretty simple and I can't imagine how you could do it wrong.

If there is something wrong with this turbo, what are the options? From what I can tell a Banks replacement is worth as much as my truck. Is there something else I could put on there?

#11 ·
Turned out the problem was an air leak at the intake. I took it off a while back and when I put it back on, one of the lock nuts that holds the hat down stripped the stud. I stacked a coupe of washers on it cover the stripped threads and move the nut up to the good threads. Anyway, that apparently allowed air through and created a whistle.

I should have remembered this when I was thinking about the noise but it didn't start right after I put washers on, it took like a week or so.

Anyway, rebuild didn't fix my problem but I'm glad I did it. It was definitely needed.

#12 ·
Yes ... it's the details that will get ya every time....

Are you using a gasket under the washers?

:bigglasse

#13 ·
Yeah, I am using a fiber washer. Looking at the aluminum of the intake "pressure chamber" was pretty galled out so it looks like vibration is an issue so I was a afraid to use something soft lie rubber.

#14 ·
Go grab an old rad hose and cut a chunk out, drill a smaller hole than the stud , top it with a stell washer and it’ll seal bery well.

The fiber washer your using has no give to it... kinda follow my trail of brain damage...

:bigglasse

#15 ·
The one thing on my truck that I haven't replaced or repaired is the Banks Turbo. I just went on a 700 miles round trip and about 200 miles in, the turbo started whining if there was any boost. If you are familiar with the Banks set up, you know they are pretty quiet so this had me worried.

My first thought was maybe it wasn't getting oil so I disconnected the feed line and started the motor which quickly shot oil about 20 feet across the gas station so oil pressure wasn't my problem.

So, I babied it the rest of the trip (which is a lot of fun when you are climbing over a 7500 foot pass through the Sierras) and I am back home now. I figure the turbo needs to rebuilt. The first thing I find is that Banks doesn't seem to sell rebuild kits so I started investigating. As far as I can tell, it is a Mitsubishi T04B turbo and there are tons of rebuild kits available on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/i/183730493390?chn=ps).

My question is, has anyone rebuilt one of these? Anything I should be looking our for?
Hey man I was wondering if the linked rebuild kit was a success for you?

#16 · (Edited)
...As far as I can tell, it is a Mitsubishi T04B turbo and there are tons of rebuild kits available on Ebay...
Close, its a T04B alright, but it's made by Garret / (aka Air Research) not Mitsu. A little confusing because Mitsubishi does make a TD04, but the two are very different. As such, most readily available T04B kits will have the right stuff. I would caution you that while there are some decent repair kits out there, there is definitely some junk. I've seen some cheap ebay bearings that were lighter and softer than aluminum and obviously didn't work too well. Also I prefer either the steel or 360* thrust bearings over the stock 270* brass ones. Glad you got yours back together and working. Usually when the turbine piston ring is gone its because the shaft is worn out but it sounds like you got lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.