New Injection Pump - billowing white smoke and runs horrible - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By m7s
  • 1 Post By m7s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
m7s
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

New Injection Pump - billowing white smoke and runs horrible

Well the signature says it all. I replaced the injection pump and now it misses heavily and smokes like one of those Hollywood smoke machines. It also pops and blows smoke through the driver's side intake. Mostly cylinder 5 and 3. If I let it run for 5 minutes I get enough smoke under the hood to obscure the engine.

I thought initially I must have crossed lines 5 and 6, so I checked and rechecked it at least 10 times and sadly that was not the case. Then I figured I must be off a tooth or something on the IP gear, so I pulled the water pump and what not off, and it was lined up as it should be.

I replaced the old pump because it was starting hard, smoking moderately bad on cold start (cleared up when hot), and getting 14 mpg on average. Also, my last compression check had all cylinders between 390 and 410.

Old pump is a Roosamaster DB2829 YL4090. Reman pump from rockauto.com is a DELPHI EX836012.

Is it possible for a reman injection pump to be that bad? Or did I do something really wrong? I have changed a few 6.2 pumps in the last 15 years and never seen anything like this before.

I swear this truck is cursed. I feel like I have replaced half the truck already, and it still isn't right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
dieselolds
Ronald Reagan fan

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dieselolds

It is possible you might have picked up a bad reman pump.I probably would return it.If your looking for a good pump I have one for sale.Its used but I will guarantee it or your money back.

1996 GMC Sierra ext.cab Z71....with new genuine GM 6.2 660 short block,4L80E/6.5TD cylinder heads,DS4 5521S,82' 6.2 rocker arms,acdelco TP1069/Racor 20S fuel filters,4" diamond eye exhaust,3.73 G80 locker,stanadyne 37818 injectors

1996 Chevy K1500 Z71.....with '99 6.5 506 goodwrench van engine,88-93 6.2 diesel Napa y-pipe,'87 700R4,acdelco TP630F/Racor 20S fuel filters,Bosch non-turbo injectors,stanadyne blue tag 5088

1993 Chevy K1500 Z71...with 97' 6.5 TD 506 block,82' 6.2 rocker arms,Bosch injectors,stanadyne blue tag 4911,DSG girdle,reman 700R4,Banks boost/pyrometer gauges,acdelco TP1069/TP943 fuel filter system,4” diamond eye exhaust/2 piece crossover

2008 Mercedes Benz E320 3.0 V6 turbo diesel

2013 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Hmmm ....

Why was the original pump replaced?
Did you do injectors at the same time?
The pin for the IP input shaft, is it in the round hole or the proper slotty one?

Ya smoke up the intake tells me something is off in the injection/valve timing world .... cause it should never do that. I would recheck the lines.

Ya even a "reman" IP can be just new seals and go but they can't cause specific cylinder/s miss's cause of how it works inside. think of it as a 8 shot revolver but it reloads a 1 shot chamber each hammer re cock and advances the 8 barrels instead of a cylinder.... make sense ...??

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
m7s
Heat Sink

I replaced the pump because it was getting increasingly hard to start and smoking worse than usual when cold. I did not change the injectors at the same time.

The pump pin is in the slot, not the round hole.

It is possible that the #5 cylinder intake valve is bent or damaged. When I purchased the truck I discovered the lifter on #5 cylinder intake had catastrophically failed and the rocker shaft was broken. It didn't have a noticeable pop or miss with the old pump though after repairing the above damage.

Just to double check: When the timing mark on the (new) harmonic balancer is at 0 on the scale and the circles on the cam and pump gear are lined up, the pump timing is set properly, right? I have two different manuals for this truck and that's what I'm understanding from them.

I will pull the new (reman) pump and put the old one back in tonight. If it runs normal again I'll send the reman pump back.

Last edited by OkDually; Yesterday at 11:52 AM. Reason: sig
Unread Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
m7s
Heat Sink

So it turns out I'm an idiot
Unread Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
m7s
Heat Sink

Apparently I can't edit posts either. I accidentally sent the above before I was finished... just hasn't been my day.

Anyhow, I put in the old pump and it runs much better, but I discovered that all the smoke is coming from the egr exhaust port under my intake gasket and not number 5 cylinder. I really should have realized that earlier...

I did notice that the passenger side is not really smoking much at all, at least with the old pump... but the driver's side is throwing out quite the smokescreen. I am guessing I must have some bad injectors. Maybe I am off base, but I am guessing the new pump puts out higher pressure and made the injector issues worse.

I have a bag of new injector needles and what not somewhere... now if only I could find it.
Unread Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Superstar

You need a few more posts before you get to edit them (I believe somewhere in the 30-40 post range or so), then you can edit posts for about 30 minutes.

You can also click on the little triangle next to "Online" within your post, to send a message to an admin, and then indicate how you want the post modified, and they will do it, if they aren't too cranky that day...
Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; Yesterday at 11:29 PM.
Unread Today, 02:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Yaa I kinda wondered about the EGR port ... but late night replies and forgotten bits ....

I would skip trying to rebuild yours, if they are worn ... they are worn ... get a new set of Boche or Delphi and don't look back.

If you wana double check, swap 2 injectors side to side, re fire and take notes, swap 2 more .... & on & on

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Unread Today, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
1967KaiserM715
Diesel Pro

Just for giggles advance the pump and see if it runs better...that should be rotated to the drivers side standing in front of motor (driver is left side as sitting in truck)

I've had motors with incorrect timing marks stamped on either the pump or the timing cover, and so far everything to me says very retarded timing.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

1991 GMC K2500 6.2L NA W/ 4L80E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in