Air in clear line at ip to return - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigboytoys
  • 1 Post By Gmctroubleocco
  • 1 Post By Bigboytoys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Air in clear line at ip to return

Once again any and all help much appreciated! Im slowly working on this truck, with all of your help, much appreciated! I have replaced all the injector return lines, new ffm and, new line and clamps from lift pump back to first rubber connection, now the truck is running, i notice when i go to try to start it , when i key the ignition, i am seeing all the fuel pass by from ip to the return line as i turn the motor over, it holds fuel, overnight, The return line from ip, one small bubble at the top, and the line from the lift pump to the ffm hold fuel too? Where is there coming from? Still does not start well, and seems like glow plugs ate short cycling? Will work on that! But wondering where this air coming from? Thank you for all help, past and future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Lifetime Premium-7 Member

Here is a thread on locating/removing air in 6.2L fuel systems:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube Winter Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I think your looking in the wrong place for this issue cause up to an inch bubble in the return line after sitting over night, is just fine. I can't explain the physic's of it but it always has a lil bubble there, as long as the rest of the return line is got fuel .... send it ...

The bigger bad sign would be frothy fuel coming outa the IP right after cold start up, that's an air leak some where.

Fix the short cycling GP's ... and I bet it starts way better!!

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! Timing Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

Once again thank you for your advice and everyone elses! Yes frothy fuel coming out of ip to return line when starting, air leak than? In the ip? I installed a glow plug self control button, but have not tried it yet, wanted to test all my gp links first and know one to key it for me! Thanks again, i will continue to hunt for air leaks, the fuel caps now are under psi when i pop them? Thanks again, much, much appreciated!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

Yaaa frothy fuel means you got and air leak ... SBYL ... keep hunting !!

I hate saying that there are options to help fix that with check valves as that is a butch's fix but it will help you find the issue. Hit up Ebay and you'll find em for about 2$ a piece, put 1 between the filter head and IP and try it, if it still froths then put 1 between the lift pump and filter head. I will not be surprised if the second check valve doesn't smarten up the issue ... which points my hat holder to the model 80 filter head sucking air.

The fuel cap will have a lil pooof to it when take it off, gasser caps vent pressure and diesel caps vent vacuum so in a diesel tank there will be a lil pressure, you GTG unless it's a huge amount which tells me your cap is NFG.

And no problem for the advice ... wana tell me which axles to swap cause I'm flip flopping back and forth ?? Pulling a 10B & SF 14 for either 60 & FF14 with 4.10's but I have to install a rear spool and a front locker or grab the 404's that are select able lockers & 7.56 and deal with new steering, rim fab, brake lines, drive shafts ....

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Quote:
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
Old 05-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

A lil 404 P**n ...forgot the best part ... 6in portal box's !!

IMG_8943.jpg

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Bigboytoys; 05-08-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

Thanks again! I dont know anything about axels? If that question was for me? Wish could have advice for you some time? I can not find a 1/4 check valve, should i just buy to 3/8 and use a barbed adapter to accomodate from out line to ip? And is there any easy way to get at the ip line where goes into pump? Un do it at the pump and leave attached to hard line?
Im getting there, with your and everyones help, might get her?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

Sorry, i just found them! Thanks again! And easy replace ffm to ip hard line? Does not leak, fuel any how but was thinking the clear vinyl has been huge help, in all of this chaseing!
Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

Yes clear vinyl is an option to find the air. I take it you found some check valves? I think mine were 5/16 and just cramed in.

Have I mentioned chasing sucks ... but weíre here for ya!!

Ya Iím at a cross road of which axles and how much fab time I wana spend in the great outdoors... cause da big girl, donít fit in the shop!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in