Oil pan blues - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
suburbangreaser
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Oil pan blues

Ugh ok.. Hi. So I replaced my stock oil pan in December due to the front lip being bent and leaking. I bought a Doorman pan which now seems to have been a mistake.

This pan has been plaguing me with a rear leak. I just tried a new pan gasket(felpro). With no success. It leaks worse. This time I did not use any gasket goo to install. I secured gasket to pan with zip ties, which by the way worked great. The gasket seated all the way around great.

So is the pan just garbage, or the felpro gasket. I really do not want to goop the **** out of it to hopefully hinder the leaking. I know this will ultimately not solve the issue.

1985 k2500 Sierra classic..

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely
Frustrated

P.s there is a light leak in front also. Could the timing cover be wack? I also replaced the timing cover/crankshaft seal which seams to have fixed the major front leakage. I even replaced with a new oil filler cap, oil cooler lines, and, CDR valve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Expert

Go to the parts store and purchase a calking tube of "the right stuff" by permatex.

remove the pan, clean both block & pan very well and let what oil drip away as long as you can.

When your ready, lay a 3/8 wide thick bead of sealant on the BLOCK and leave it alone for 30 minutes while you do the same to the pan, let that sit 30 minutes. let it firm up and get stiff, gently put the pan against the block and giggle it a little, DON"T mash it tight against the block, install bolts and again do not tighten them, just finger tight.. you don't want to mash all the sealant out.

Let that sit over night to cure, then snug the bolts, still don't try to mash the sealant out, snug is all you need...

owner Twisted Steel Performance
Head Porting, Ceramic coating

like us on Facebook

Last edited by sctrailrider; 04-29-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
countryboy90
Diesel Nut

last year I put a new pan on my truck (don't remember the brand) and it leaked worse also. This year I redid it and so far (about 600 miles) it don't leak. I wiped everything off, on the block I used aviation gasket maker (sticky brown stuff) and then on the pan I laid a decent bead of black silicone. On the rubber that went on the rear main cap I put a decent amount of silicone under the rubber and then globed it on the pan side. Where the timing cover and engine meet I laid a small bead of silicone there also. I then put the pan up and finger tightened the bolts, just so the silicone was barely starting to squeeze out the side. I then let that sit for a good hour and then went over all the bolts with a 1/4" ratchet and snugged them down good.

07 GMC Serria SLT. Black, z71 ext sb, leather, xm, onstar

85 K10 6.2 Diesel Reg. Cab long box, HX40 turbo, 700r4, 3.73's. 4" lift on 33's currently awaiting body work...(cab swap in the future due to rust)

86 C10 6.2 Reg. Cab long box, 700r4, 2.73's stock tires and all stock truck. Crank broke. Awaiting 4x4 and 5.3/4l80e swap

2003 Cavalier 2.2L 5 spd 2dr beater till it blows. sole purpose is to keep the cruze out of the salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathackr View Post
of course if your truck never breaks then you can never have an excuse to be stuck somewhere remote with a girl...so a reliable truck isn't always desireable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
suburbangreaser
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks both of you guys. Clarify are you not using a store bought gasket at all? Or is this on top of using a gasket?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
suburbangreaser
Diesel Fanatic

Also I've read that the 6.2Ltr. Holds 7 quarts of oil including a new filter? Is this true. It seems like it should be more. The dipstick tube does not seat the same as with the original GM pan. With 7 quarts it reads a bit below under a quart. This seems lower than how far the tube is off.

Thanks again...
Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbangreaser View Post
Thanks both of you guys. Clarify are you not using a store bought gasket at all? Or is this on top of using a gasket?

no gasket....the instructions also apply to valve covers...

like us on Facebook

Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
suburbangreaser
Diesel Fanatic

Thanx much Sctrailrider.

Are you talking about the 90 minute adhesive or the 1 minute "the right stuff"?

Thanx much
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Expert

the name of it is 'the right stuff" it's costly but it is the best thin made and the factory does it the same way, no gaskets....

like us on Facebook

Old 05-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monka
Self Ignition

Correct, it's a black tube that says (the right stuff)
I dropped my pan and as stated, no gasket.
Clean WELL...
Then caulk block and then pan.
Hand tight bolts, wait a night then tighten to proper tork , dont over tighten.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
suburbangreaser
Diesel Fanatic

Here are the two different ones I have found. 90 minute(right image) or 1 minute(left image). Photos attached.

Is there a third type?

So just a straight bead, or in between/ around bolt holes? On package it says around all bolt holes.

I just want to make sure I do it correctly. It seems like little room for error with this stuff.

Thanks to all...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Xtuy-VyzL_1556732519999._AC_SY400_.jpg (18.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190501_103834454_1556732536464.jpg (47.0 KB, 3 views)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in