Diesel Place banner

191 6.2 starter bracket question

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  joeq 
#1 ·
Thanks in advance, fir any help again! My starter sheered a bolt off, going to try a left hand bit first, but question is, the bracket broke too! I see they sell them in sets of two? Is one a spare or are there two brackets to hold it, i onlf ound one that hangs from a bolt that comes from above, by bottom of block and a heat shield? Is this the only one or am i missing another one? Thanks again, and any advice to removing the bolt would be great too? Thank you, lance.

#2 ·
There should only be one Support Bracket from the starter to the block..

#4 ·
Never seen them sold in pairs. Only ever got them from the dealer in singles.

#6 ·
If you tighten the 2 bolts from the bottom and the rear starter bracket properly with a nut, it should not cause the bolt to shear.

It is difficult to get that rear bracket nut to tighten properly, you just have to take your time because it is moving slowly with small short wrench.

Reactions: Gmctroubleocco
#7 ·
I see they sell them in sets of two?

Where are you buying it from?

Like was said earlier, only one needed. From front starter cap, the external threaded top case bolt, to the block. At that point, if you have a heat shield, it attaches there too. Bracket, heat shield, block.

Secure the two starter bolts first, then do the bracket. I do a light coat of antiseeze on those bolts. If they break, will be easier getting out.

Make sure you get the real GM bolts nothing else.

#9 · (Edited)
Mine break roughly every 5 years or so. Have had the truck for over 25. They're just designed too small for the compression these engines have. They need to be 1/2" to take the load. If I ever do a 6X motor over, I'll be boring and tapping for "bigger is better".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.