6.2 lift pump removal? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigboytoys
  • 1 Post By jnlperformance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.2 lift pump removal?

Any help much appreciated, went to remove the lift pump, and for the life of me can not get a wrech on the mounting bolt that is towards the rear, when get a weench there is pretty much 0 room to move it? The wrench hits the pump or the mounting brackets, same with socket? Got the forward on to loosen from above? Any tricks or tips much appreciated, feeling quit inadequate! Also return fuel line rubber all rotted and cracked? Reutrn lines should be free from air leaks too? Any help much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Off the top of my head ... swivels are your friends.

The other option is to unbolt the passenger side motor mount and lift the motor a few precious inch's!!

Use heavy grease on the pump rod to hold it up while you re install the pump BTW.

Ya it's a PITA

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

Thanks again, i bought a racheting wrench for the job, but the pump housing is in the way? Read all kinds of info before doing, read in the chiltons, no where did any one say so difficult? Not sure what swivels are? And socket with all my different extensions could not get on at the angel? Found pretty wrotten looking return line right there going to replace it and see if still leaking air! But still want to get this bolt out! I never thiughtbthis would be that difficult? What a place to put a pump! Thanks again! Lance.
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

What I mean by swivel is these ....

3pcs-Impact-Universal-Joint-Socket-Wrench-Set-1-4-Inch-3-8-Inch-1-2-Inch.jpg

But there are swivel sockets also, an all in one unit that is shorter than a standard swivel and socket.

C148301.jpg

These allow you get a good angle on any bolt.

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Quote:
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Old 04-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

Thanks for all the advice and help! Making progress with your much appreciated advice!
As i was tryin to wretle that mechanical fuel pump, i found a compltly rotted rubber returl line that was i see to close to the exaust manifold, replace it and it hold fuel now for two days sitting! Replaced 7 of the eight glow plugs, and had replaced the other a year or two songs did not fight that one! Still no start, smoke and no bubles as i am cranking on it from the ip to return, not pluged in but suuny and warmish here today! The glow plug controller and juice at both ends and check a couple random plug wires which checked out with both fuseable links? What else could i be fighting? Glow plug controller or? Any help much, appreciated as i would love to see this truck start after all this time! Thanks again, lance!
Old 04-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

You still might have air in the IP from the lift pump change.

Smoke is a good sign that it is trying. I would pull the GP and give it a cycle or two of cranking till you can see a fog of fuel from each GP hole. Re install GP's and it should fire off... run like a bit of a hairy dog ... cough and spluter .. but it should start.

A trip to the kitchen for Pam cooking spray is also a good idea, use it like ether buuuut don't try and spray through the air filter ... messy ,
messy messy ... Give each side of the intake a 4 second hosing. A really old can of WD 40 will also work but the stuff we get up here now doesn't.

Got a block heater? Plug it in for an hr ... diesel and heat are friends...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gmctroubleocco
Diesel Student

Smokey

Thanks again, buy you steak dinner if ever in this neck of the woods! Much appreciate your time spent here, and your knowledge! So i never changed the lift pump, after finding rotten return hose and replacing i have seen no air in ip tube or bubbles when starting, byself looking best i can! Still hard to start and smokey, and first time ever smokey going up the road? It has only been at idle here in the yard and not driven in eight months, with little throttle runs a bit rough? Where to go from here? Thanks again, and again!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

No problem!! I'll take you up on that if I ever get south of 50 ...

I would drive it a bit more and possibly replace the filter since it has sat. Alga can be a problem in warmer humid areas and it makes a nasty snotty mess of tanks and filters.

After that, drive it a bit more and possible play with the IP timing, but that can come later.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in