Diesel Place banner

Bolting a five speed to my 6.2...

7K views 65 replies 16 participants last post by  High Sierra 2500 
#1 ·
I've now got a five speed tranny (out of an S-10 with a 4.3) sitting on my garage floor. Now to install it...

I dropped my 700R4 last night and pulled the flexplate. I haven't got a flywheel yet (should be here tomorrow after 10 AM ;) ), but that is all right because I don't have a clutch yet either.

With the 700 and the five speed (I don't know what tranny it is :eek:: ) on the floor next to each other, you can see that they were meant to interchange. They are exactly the same length, bolt pattern, rear shaft, etc.

Today I plan to cut the hole in the floor for the shifter. Then I am going to trial fit the tranny in the truck with no clutch or flywheel and make sure everything is going to fit (crossmember, shifter, starter, etc.) and make any mods necessary to make it fit.

I'll post some pics tonight because, as Mangus580 would be quick to point out, :nopics:

#2 ·
Cool.. the lighter-duty 5-speed should have some good driving ratios.

What are you doing for a speedometer? Or do you even care? :muahaha:

#3 ·
Yeah, I just figured out about the speedo... It's electric. Darn. My truck's got mechanical drive...

The plan is to either find a way to convert the tranny to mechanical speedo output or get an electric speedometer out of a '89-90 Suburban...

Not that I care, of course... :D

#4 ·
How did your hole in the floor end out. Mine was shifted forward several inches when I got my tranny in.

Guipo

#5 ·
I haven't cut it yet, should be done by tomorrow morning though...

I think it'll turn out all right, although it is difficult to measure accurately with the bend in the floorpan.

#6 ·
call it ghetto measuring, but when I put mine in, I got a jack, and made a little dent in the floor, lowered the jack and made a hole. heh.

Guipo

#9 ·
Well, I measured out where I needed to center the hole (16.75" from the rear of the engine block), found the centerline of the truck, and drilled a hole there. Then I went to the top of the truck and layed out the hole I wanted. I haven't cut it yet (I spent an hour last night working on the cutting wheel and haven't got it working yet... Seems to have a bad switch). I'll see if I can't find a way to cut the hole today.

I am going to go get the flywheel, clutch, and clutch pedal today, and then I'll see about cutting the holes.

Yeah, basically what I am going to have to find is and electric speedo out of something with the old body style... Hmmm, my mother has a '90 burb, wonder if she'd notice? ):h

#11 ·
It's here! It's all here! :cool:

I went and picked up the flywheel at the auto parts store. I walked in and told them what I was there for. They said "oh, yeah... THE flywheel..." Then they wanted to know what kind of semi it was for... :D

Then I spent like three hours crawling around the most disgusting S-10 you ever saw at the junkyard. This particular truck was on its way to the crusher, and it was definitely worthy of being crushed. The truck had three inches of wrappers/containers from various fast-food joints (mostly Taco Bell) on the floor, camouflage paint, and a bunch of stickers for the local rock station on the back window... I really needed a shower when I got home. Anyway I got the clutch cylinder, clutch and pressure plate, and the clutch pedal out of that.

Now, to rest for a few minutes and then it's back to work... ):h

#12 ·
nothin like a kid at christmas....

;)

#13 ·
):h

It gets even better... The clutch I got out of the S-10 will bolt to my new flywheel! 11 inch clutch, so yeah it's a little smaller than it could be, but that is okay. It just means it will save my transmission by smoking before I break a gear. ):h Cool part of this is that somebody had just put a new clutch and pressure plate in the S-10... Don't know why they junked it right after that, maybe it had something to do with the blown engine...

Now it's all ready to go in! :cool:

#14 ·
How is the conversion going?

#15 ·
Slowly... I didn't work on it yesterday afternoon or evening.

I'm going to work on it all day today and I'm hoping to either have it ready to go or close to it by the end of the day. Boy, I'm cutting it close... It's already the 15th...

Another cool thing about this is that it cost $75 less than a junkyard automatic...

#16 ·
I cut the hole in the floor. I ended up cutting it several inches forward of where I though it would be at first because I realized that when I raised the tailshaft up to the height of the crossmember it would effectively move the shifter forward.

After a few measurements, I've found that there will be no crossmember mods whatsoever necessary. All I have to do is take the rubber mount off of my old 700R4 and bolt it onto the 5 speed (it bolts right on). Then everything lines up perfect... :) No cutting, welding, washers, angle iron, or bailing wire necessary.

Next I am going to install the flywheel and clutch assembly. After that I am going to install the transmission for the last time. Then I will cut the holes for the clutch cylinder and install the cylinder and clutch pedal.

I should have done this when my first transmission went out... It would have saved me a lot of time, effort, and money...

#17 ·
sounds like when I did my tranny. I used 2 inch square tubing as my spacer. My tranny was already attached to the engine though. So that was all done when I got to it!

#18 ·
Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have two 700R4s to take mounting parts off of, so the spacers aren't a problem. I just removed the S-10 crossmember (the guy at the junkyard just cut the crossmember) and its rubber mount and replaced it with the one off of a 700.

Guipo, when you raised the tailshaft of the transmission, how much did the stick move? Did you have to open the hole up some more? I am trying to decide how far forward it needs to be...

#19 ·
The flywheel is on... That is one heavy piece of steel... :eek: Clutch is going on in a few minutes...

I know, I know, it's taking an awful long time to do each step, but I just do not feel like working very hard... ):h

#20 ·
The clutch is on... Not far to go now...

I'm going to go raise the tranny into place... :)

I know, it shouldn't take an hour to bolt the clutch to the flywheel. I stopped for lunch, though...

#21 ·
it moved up a little. To the point where I had to cut a bit more. Then I just cut the shape of what was supposed to stick through my truck and it worked like a charm. Its a bit close, but I dont think I'll have any problems. I have all the boot stuff I have yet to put on as well.

My tranny has a metal part of the casing that sticks through the floorboard, so it was really easy to cut. Attached picture.

Guipo

Attachments

#22 ·
he's doing in a day what took me months! Dont you work HS?!?!?!

#23 ·
he's doing in a day what took me months! Dont you work HS?!?!?!
Not today I don't... It's kind of my day off. ):h

Thanks for the info, by the way. I messed up when I was cutting the hole... To get the tranny in I had to cut a notch that goes further back. I guess I'll just cut the hole out a fair bit larger than necessary and make a plate with the boot on it that bolts on... It'll be covered up by the floormat.

I've got to be careful... If I take to much out of the middle, there won't be a floor in the truck at all. The floor where your feet go is pretty rusty. :eek:

By the way, the tranny is in. Now all I need to do is put in the driveshaft and hook up the clutch... :) I can't wait!

#24 ·
By the way Guipo, my tranny has the same funny top section where a little bit of the tranny sticks up... Made it rather difficult to get in, actually...

#26 ·
do you work for the State?
):h I wish...

Well, I'm almost done now. The driveshaft is in, the clutch actuator is in, The crossmember is in, now all I have to do is mount the clutch pedal and hook up the line... And the speedometer, of course, but that's a project for a different day...

It really is a very easy, bolt in swap. Really no more difficult than installing another automatic...

I found when I went to put the crossmember in I didn't even have to swap the mounts, it bolted right in the way it was!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.