Question: Wiring questions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Bigboytoys
  • 1 Post By the truck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2018, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
the truck
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Wiring questions

As some of you know I have an 84 burb. I have been fighting a 2.0 volt draw for the past year. My main question is does anyone know the correct wiring for the batteries on these beasts? And my other question is what are the common draws on them? Besides glovebox light, alternator, aftermarket accessories, and dashboard. I'd appreciate any input.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

also remember to torque your lugnuts. other wise your tires could fall off on the highway. I would not know what that's like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Here is the complete wiring diagram for the 84's, linked from the FAQ's.....

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/***...l-complete.pdf

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
the truck
Self Ignition

I already have the complete wiring diagram. I should've said that. My bad. Are there any other things besides what I listed that could cause such a large draw?

also remember to torque your lugnuts. other wise your tires could fall off on the highway. I would not know what that's like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Glow plug controller could make a draw...

When dealing with stupid lil draws like that, I remove all the fuses then just keep on unplugging stuff till it goes away.
90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! Timing Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
countryboy90
Diesel Nut

Badger State Diesel Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboytoys View Post
Glow plug controller could make a draw...

When dealing with stupid lil draws like that, I remove all the fuses then just keep on unplugging stuff till it goes away.
This is about the best way to find it, unless you just happen to see something odd like a faint light somewhere.

07 GMC Serria SLT. Black, z71 ext sb, leather, xm, onstar

85 K10 6.2 Diesel Reg. Cab long box, HX40 turbo, 700r4, 3.73's. 4" lift on 33's currently awaiting body work...(cab swap in the future due to rust)

86 C10 6.2 Reg. Cab long box, 700r4, 2.73's stock tires and all stock truck. Crank broke. Awaiting 4x4 and 5.3/4l80e swap

2003 Cavalier 2.2L 5 spd 2dr beater till it blows. sole purpose is to keep the cruze out of the salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathackr View Post
of course if your truck never breaks then you can never have an excuse to be stuck somewhere remote with a girl...so a reliable truck isn't always desireable
Old 02-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Mythbuster

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Ya took me a bit remember, but my factory radio had an on going draw to it when I first got my Burb.

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! Timing Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
the truck
Self Ignition

Thanks for the replies. I found out the something on the junction block on the firewall is the problem. I still have to chase the wire to find out what it is. When I do I will burn it, shred it, and shoot it a couple times. And of course. I will let you always helpful people know what it was.

Replies to other people

It has a glow plug button. The controller was bypassed before I got it. But none of its wires are connected to anything.

I've removed every fuse. Every aftermarket accessory. And that did nothing.

The video Is me trying to start it. But the batteries are too low. Anyone have suggestions on batteries? What kind? What brand? ETC...
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a77a99d...8a9009f1f7.mp4

Last edited by the truck; 02-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
old skool luvr
Diesel Champ

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truck View Post
The video Is me trying to start it. But the batteries are too low. Anyone have suggestions on batteries? What kind? What brand? ETC...
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a77a99d...8a9009f1f7.mp4

I’ve found almost all batteries manufactured in the past 5-6 years are garbage. What ever brand you buy, be sure they’re rated for at least 950CA, and ensure your glow plugs are properly cycling when you push the button.

You can also install those battery disconnect terminals between your batteries & the truck. Might seem like a RPITA to pop the hood each time you’re going to be parked longer then a few hours, but i’d think that would be less bothersome then trying to find half a dozen Hondas to try boosting a six2. They also include a lead for radio memeory so every time you switch them off, the radio doesn’t delete all of your presets & clock.

That vid is on tapatalk, don’t have it, so not sure how quickly your batteries went flat on you.
1994 GMC T15 Jimmy 4 door *off to a new home (it's really white )
1999 Chevy ZR2 Blazer factory 5 spd. *RIP*
2003 Ram 3500 4WD quad cab SLT Laramie Cummins 6 spd. “LIL’ BLUU”
2017 Hyundai Elantra GLS sedan (wifey’s commuter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaric View Post
I read the title and was wondering WTH, don't you have to hit a springboard to roll something over that close to the ground.
Quote:
Plus you can't beat the looks of a square body
Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
the truck
Self Ignition

The video shows a draw of 1.7 volts. I have a set of die-hard platinum series 1150 CCAs in it. They are getting quite old though. I think they are 4 or 5 years old now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in