Crankshaft Replacement - Vibration Hunt - Page 22 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree356Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #211 (permalink)
RatsMC
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Coming along nicely. Wonder your opinion on rather than thinning out the obstruction on the bracing, do you think an alteration to the oil pan itself would be beneficial? Rather than the frt of the pan being rounded, if that section were cut out, and squared off with some sheet metal to gain the added clearance? I don't believe the square body chassis have any interference issues with a modified oil pan.
That's what MickeyVon did and I think it is probably the best solution and considering that I have a motor in the truck I can use for modeling AND I have fluxcore welder sitting right beside me AND I have an extra oil pan I could have used, it would have been the smart direction to take.

That said, I'm not sure that the one spot where girdle is weakened has a serious impact on the overall stiffness. Or rather, I'm just guessing it isn't a big deal.

82 GMC K1500 6.2l

Banks Sidewinder Turbo
TH400 Transmission
Rebuilt 10 Bolt 3.42 Diffs
NP208
Electric Lift Pump relocated to the frame
Manual Glow Plug Set up
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #212 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Our first set, was similar to your passenger side. The washer was about 1/8" away from the upright of the angle iron, just past the interior corner radius. The second and following sets, even looked a little closer than your driver's side....LOL. Had to clear a good 1/16" of an inch from the upright, and also the interior corner radius, to fit the nut and washer. Yours are coming along nicely, the studded front and rear ends are more to reduce "the caps walking" than increasing rigidity at the ends.....J&J.

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #213 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Coming along nicely. Wonder your opinion on rather than thinning out the obstruction on the bracing, do you think an alteration to the oil pan itself would be beneficial? Rather than the frt of the pan being rounded, if that section were cut out, and squared off with some sheet metal to gain the added clearance? I don't believe the square body chassis have any interference issues with a modified oil pan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatsMC View Post
That's what MickeyVon did and I think it is probably the best solution and considering that I have a motor in the truck I can use for modeling AND I have fluxcore welder sitting right beside me AND I have an extra oil pan I could have used, it would have been the smart direction to take.

That said, I'm not sure that the one spot where girdle is weakened has a serious impact on the overall stiffness. Or rather, I'm just guessing it isn't a big deal.
MaxPF did not modify a stock pan (he is a machinist/welder by trade), and for good reason, they are incredibly flimsy and easy to burn through, even more so with flux-core; i have welded bungs down beside the oil-drain plugs for temp sensor, and every single one i ended up with a thin coat of JB-weld both inside and out to insure no leakage... they were new pans for the most part, only did one used one, and it has a slight seep...LOL..

and mikeyvons custom pan did end up touching, he had a welding buddy come over and do some frame modifying i believe..J&J.

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....

Last edited by turbonator; 04-02-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #214 (permalink)
RatsMC
Diesel Boss

I think the more correct answer to that question would have been that changing the oil pan was a whole set of problems that are solvable but were just a different set of problems than I had thought through solutions for

82 GMC K1500 6.2l

Banks Sidewinder Turbo
TH400 Transmission
NP208
Manual Glow Plug Set up
Old 04-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #215 (permalink)
joeq
Diesel Boss

The aftermarket and customizers have been modifying oil pans since the beginning of time. Of course it takes technique and a good mig/tig welder to weld thin material, but it can be done. I'm not second guessing Jerrys project, cause there are more ways than one to skin a cat. I just wondered about the purpose of the complicated compound curves the engineers/designers used on the leading end of the factory pans. (drain-back, Areo-dynamics(?)
I just thought if that area were squared off, more clearance would be available internally.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #216 (permalink)
RatsMC
Diesel Boss

Grinding, filing, grinding. filing...

Man, this is fun.

Almost got it all done today. Almost ready to pull the motor.

82 GMC K1500 6.2l

Banks Sidewinder Turbo
TH400 Transmission
NP208
Manual Glow Plug Set up
Old 04-14-2018, 11:51 PM   #217 (permalink)
RatsMC
Diesel Boss

Okay, just a little filing left. I'll post some pics of the final product tomorrow.

Then, while I have the old motor on the stand, I am going to tear it down and do a complete assessment of what I have then get rid of any parts that aren't going to be reused.

*Then* I will pull the motor out of the truck.

82 GMC K1500 6.2l

Banks Sidewinder Turbo
TH400 Transmission
NP208
Manual Glow Plug Set up
Old 04-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #218 (permalink)
joeq
Diesel Boss

Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #219 (permalink)
RatsMC
Diesel Boss

Okay, I've had enough. They could use quite a bit more filing since some of the surfaces aren't completely straight but the ones that matter are. I remembered that the point of this thing is actually to replace the crankshaft and I don't have a lot of time left before I need to take this thing out of town. So I am accepting functional over pretty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180415_155749.jpg (150.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180415_155734.jpg (148.4 KB, 4 views)

82 GMC K1500 6.2l

Banks Sidewinder Turbo
TH400 Transmission
NP208
Manual Glow Plug Set up
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #220 (permalink)
RatsMC
Diesel Boss

I won't get the motor out next weekend but the following weekend it comes out and goes back in.

82 GMC K1500 6.2l

Banks Sidewinder Turbo
TH400 Transmission
NP208
Manual Glow Plug Set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in