Loosing power then stalls. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Loosing power then stalls.

This time I'm kinda stumped.
My 84 M1009 sat for a long time. When I got it home it started but would stall when you snapped the throttle. I changed the fuel filter, put some fresh fuel in and drove it around. Was running great. Now it will run for a few miles and then loose power. I have to keep the throttle wide open to keep it running at all the. It finally stalls. Starts right back up but stalls. Acts like a dead lift pump but it's got fuel pressure. I even installed an electric pump. No difference. I swapped the check valve on the top of the pump return and it seemed to run great again...
For a few miles. Then back to dying. Went out this morning and it started right up. I do see evidence of fuel leaking from somewhere under the IP and it is not the fuel supply line. I'm thinking dead ip but weird the way it will run great randomly. Was gonna hook up my outboard motor tank with elec lp and bypass the entire fuel system.

1986 M1008 CUCV 6.2 J code
GM8 Turbo,DB24911
Raptor 100 lp.
NV4500(the way they should have come)
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Serp Belt conversion. HO WP. Dmax Fan
OD Customs 6.2/5 Diesel and MV Vehicle service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
RatsMC
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

You've checked all the things I would so I am out of my league here but have you checked the return line?

82 GMC K1500 6.2l

Banks Sidewinder Turbo
TH400 Transmission
Rebuilt 10 Bolt 3.42 Diffs
NP208
Electric Lift Pump relocated to the frame
Manual Glow Plug Set up
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
roadhog0
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Crack your fuel tank cap. Bet you have a non vented cap, or the vent got clogged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
smackzed
Mad (Sean) Max

Sticky metering valve? When mine was acting up it would idle for a while and I could gradually give it throttle and release the throttle but if I gave it a quick shot it would die instantly and same if I released the pedal too quickly. It acts kind of like a 2 stroke with a gummed up carb. I added a **** load of fuel treatment and then let it idle long enough that I figured the additive would be in the Ip bowl then let it sit overnight. Next day I drove it like I stole it and that cleared it right up
Old 03-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

It sounds like a possible small plug in the return system. If you have a spare 10L Jerry can around, split the return line into the can and see what happens.

When was the last time you changed fuel filters?
90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 03-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboytoys View Post
It sounds like a possible small plug in the return system. If you have a spare 10L Jerry can around, split the return line into the can and see what happens.

When was the last time you changed fuel filters?
Just changed it.
I was thinking the same thing because it ran like crap when I started it and then I changed the check valve and it ran great for about 20 mins then same crap.
I might try blowing the return out with air and see if it's plugged somehow.
It just runs too good when it's not doing this to condemn the IP. I have changed a lot of 6.2 it's and never seen one do this. Usually they smoke , run rough, lose power but idle or hard hot start .

GM8 Turbo,DB24911
Raptor 100 lp.
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
upsmoker
"ol` smokie"

Very typical circumstances of a DB2 on a 5.7 with contaminants that are present and either blocking or restricting the vent wire, or ball check. You mentioned twice that you swapped out the ball check and after doing so it ran great for 20 min.? Sounds like the flex ring is disintegrating. That`s normally how long it takes to obstruct the ball check before you pull over and drive the glass ball out so you can make it home.
Blow out your other ball check, (both directions) vigorously with compressed air, swap out the clean one and give it a try. If it plugs up again pull the governor cover look for peppered fuel. While your in there you could pull the vent wire blow it out too. But if the flex ring is black and peppered it`s time for a new ring.
Again, I`m talking 5.7
Quote:
Dang it ... your making the quote wrong, 4 things 5.7's and 6.2's have in common, flex ring failures ....

Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bigboytoys
Diesel Veteran

Dang it ... your making the quote wrong, 4 things 5.7's and 6.2's have in common, flex ring failures ....

90 Burb 1500 Silverado 4x4, 6.x in the shop, ATS Turbo on the bench . Open plenum intake. 700 R4 Now Rebuilt + 241, 10,000lb Trany Cooler With 10in pusher Fan and gauge. 8,000 LB Warn Multi Mount. TCC lock up control, 60 + 14b 4" Lift and 285 16's. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypunch View Post
it would be nice if it could deflect a deer or a prius...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
Mine ate about 6ft of paper towel once. It idled funny for a minute, then let out one big black firey fart and smoothed right out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyStepsKY View Post
My being able to set at the computer and type is evidence that my wife has not cut off both my arms and used them to beat me into a coma, so no, I did not buy it!
Post up pics of your carnage!!!! and timing ....Click Here
To bleed or find an air leak, simply, here’s a few different ways..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/8492425-post11.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...leak-6-2l.html
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ht-turn-3.html
Old 03-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
upsmoker
"ol` smokie"

Quote:

I love my quote, (your`s actually) But, we both know the two have more IN common than not.
I will admit I get a little gun shy posting about 6.2`s, but I always leave my disclaimer, " I`m talking 5.7"
Quote:

Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
acesneights1
Forum Troll

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsmoker View Post
Very typical circumstances of a DB2 on a 5.7 with contaminants that are present and either blocking or restricting the vent wire, or ball check. You mentioned twice that you swapped out the ball check and after doing so it ran great for 20 min.? Sounds like the flex ring is disintegrating. That`s normally how long it takes to obstruct the ball check before you pull over and drive the glass ball out so you can make it home.
Blow out your other ball check, (both directions) vigorously with compressed air, swap out the clean one and give it a try. If it plugs up again pull the governor cover look for peppered fuel. While your in there you could pull the vent wire blow it out too. But if the flex ring is black and peppered it`s time for a new ring.
Again, I`m talking 5.7
Unfortunately , that is exactly what I think is happening.

GM8 Turbo,DB24911
Raptor 100 lp.
5 inch Redneckmaster Ex
Autometer Fullsweeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in