PLEASE HELP - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
NCchevy
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

PLEASE HELP

Hi guy I'm brand new to the forum. I just bought a 93 Chevy 6.2 ext. cab and I'm having a problem with it. Here goes. The old owner put a jasper reman engine,transmission and front diff 10k ago. I believe him cuz I found the warranty paperwork inside the truck. It sat in his driveway for 2 years not running. My father in law bought the truck got it running and sold it to me. He can't remember what he did to get it running. Well I bought it 3 days ago and it ran like a top. I put fuel in it then later that day it started to act funny. It would bog under load or even the slightest of hills, when it did this it was blowing blue smoke and when i took my foot off the pedal it would die. The filter light was on so I drained the filter from the water valve into a pickle jar and got about 1/2 of red rusty water so I replaced the filter bled the system and it ran good for about 2 miles then it happened about 7 more times before I got home (12miles) each time it was harder to restart. When I finally got it home I left it idling and opened the water valve, no fuel no thing came out. This morning I go out start the truck open the valve and could have filled a gallon jug if I wanted to. No water just clean pure diesel. I'm thinking my electric lift pump is done for I bought a new one today but havnt installed it yst . Please give advice this is my only vehicle now and I have to get it going, oh plus I live in the mountains so this whole bogging on a slight hill thing ain't gonna cut it. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jason_726
Glow Plug

I agree that it sounds like the lift pump has gone bad.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
NCchevy
Diesel Student

Correct me if I'm wrong because I am a diesel rookie but the IP will draw a little fuel on its own but not enough to handle any kind of load correct? And I'm curious but being that my truck has the electric lift pump shouldn't it pump fuel out of the air and water drain valve with the key on engine off? And does the pump make any audible sound with the on?
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jason_726
Glow Plug

The IP should draw enough to run, even down the highway. At least this was true for me with a non-functioning mechanical pump. I drove around for a month or two with a bad mechanical lift pump. The electric pump might be different.

The pump will only typically run for 3 secs after you turn the key on if you do not start the engine. You might be able to hear it as a slight whine. If you have the air bleed valve open, and cycle the key, you should see fuel come out if the system is primed and the pump is functional.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Welcome to Diesel Place!

1993 6.2 with electric lift pump....Unfortunately we do not have a 1993 set of truck manuals on the Forum. So here is a SWAG:

On a 1995 6.5L TD with an electric lift pump, the lift pump is powered through the Oil Pressure Switch (OPS). The OPS is mounted behind the driver's side head. See the pictures here: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...tml#post702583. The OPS serves two purposed: (1) powering the oil pressure gauge (2) sending electrical power to the lift pump when it sense oil pressure and shuts down the lift pump when there is no oil pressure.

The OPS can burn out in the part that powers the lift pump but work fine to power the gauge.

If you can locate the OPS where I think it might be, see if the wiring harness has three wires coming out of it. IIRC on my 1994 they are orange, gray and brown. If you have 3 wires, I am guessing your lift pump is powered via the OPS.

Another thing to look for is the Lift Pump Relay. Here is a picture: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post6784033. On the 6.5L trucks this relay is mounted to the passenger side of the firewall. The second picture shows how to jump this relay to power the lift pump. If you have this relay, try jumping it to see if the electric pump works by opening the WIF drain.

If it works, the lift pump is fine and the OPS needs to be replaced. Again I am really guessing here, but if you have a bad OPS, get an AC Delco D1808A OPS. Do not waste $$ on any other brand as the other brands burn out about as fast as you can install them.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
NCchevy
Diesel Student

That's what I thought. The problem happens after driving a couple miles almost as if once everything gets warmed up something stops working. My thought was since I have an electric lift pump that its getting hot and breaking down not supplying fuel as it should. If it could be anything else please let me know. This is my first diesel so I'm not sure what everything does.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCchevy View Post
And I'm curious but being that my truck has the electric lift pump shouldn't it pump fuel out of the air and water drain valve with the key on engine off?
In a word, no. This feature did not come in until the 1996+ 6.5L models

Quote:
And does the pump make any audible sound with the on?
Mine makes a slight chatter sound.

BTW, if you hear it running after the engine is shut off, then it is definitely powered via the OPS I mentioned earlier and will run until oil pressure is below 4lbs of pressure (give or take)
Old 02-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
NCchevy
Diesel Student

Thanks for the input on the OPS I didn't know that. Since we are on the subject what exactly is the oil pressure gauge supposed to read at idle. When I first start my truck its almost at 40psi once its warmed up some it drops at idle drastically to around 15-20psi and while driving its around 30-35psi. So would this be a sign of a faulty OPS as well?
Old 02-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the input on the OPS I didn't know that. Since we are on the subject what exactly is the oil pressure gauge supposed to read at idle. When I first start my truck its almost at 40psi once its warmed up some it drops at idle drastically to around 15-20psi and while driving its around 30-35psi. So would this be a sign of a faulty OPS as well?
Hot idle anything over 10lbs is OK.

The two functions of the OPS that I mentioned are separate within the construction of the OPS.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

What Freddy said. Sounds like the pump is working when it gets power.
I would think the OPS relay and or the pump is the issue.

Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in