Turbo 400 Bell Housing Cracks - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.2L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.2L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.2 GM diesel engine & associated components.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2015, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
MissouriMuleK30
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Turbo 400 Bell Housing Cracks

Hello, having problem with cracks, big, around bell housing. Have welded once already, now I think this time to far gone, chunks falling off after pulling bolts too remove.
The trans also has the two braces from the motor mounts to the trans inspection cover. Also the brace from the bell housing to the transfer case, 205.
I rebuilt trans 20,000 miles ago, HD internals. The truck is an 82 Chevrolet K30 Silverado, 40 over 6.2. Still a good truck with 130,000 miles.
I use this truck most every day off road at work, mud, twisting, turning, hills, you name it, this truck goes till it is STUCK, then dozer or highlift pulls me out to do it again.
I was thinking to try solid motor mounts, solid trans mount, or the HD case, having seen one thinking it might be stronger. Now the problem, finding a useable core to rebuild with my internals or find a replacement that isn't a kings ransom.
Any input would be appreciated since now I have to use my 85 K30 Dually Silverado with 6 inch lift, 35s, 400 turbo, Detroit lockers, warmed up 454 that gets 6 miles to the gallon, but it is fun to wheel.
What is the best way to beef up trans or go to 700 instead, I want to stay auto, I have all the manual parts already...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
bobbywalter
Diesel Boss

Reid Racing Super Hydra 400 Transmission Cases SH400OFF - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

i was around those when they were still prototyping, seen em at koh and a few other ultra 4 events some years ago now..

between that and kilgores innards you could blow 6-10 grand on a superhero 400.

but, i would wager you simply had a ****ty case, and the only way to keep that from happening again is to pop 1600 for the reid case...which is ruthless at a minimum.

the gm cases all fail more then the others ime.(they all fail)...even the 4l80 when wheeled hard...the th350 is particularly a cowardly pos....we tried everything to beef em up due to the packaging of them...no more.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
bobbywalter
Diesel Boss

put it this way.

if i ever build something that can use a 3 speed trans....that will be it. whether another cuda', a mustang or some sort of gm ride.. no second thoughts on that at all.

i pray they do that for the 4l80 and come up with a deeper overdrive.
1988 FORD 4x4 Ranger. swapped in mis-match hodge podge of HMMV-CUCV 6.2 stuff / 4l80 into ford np208. All that crap is riding on ford 60's spinning 305 tires on up to 44's depending on the days menu.. so how ya like me now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

CT Smoke Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Line-up pins in the block missing maybe ?

Solid mounts might not be the way to go.. need something to absorb the vibes.

Also check the joints on the front driveshaft, binding in those joints creates vibrations which somehow crack the bell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
~ Bob
1987 K20 5.7 TBI 700r4 np208
1990 C1500 5.7 700r4 Short stepside
1999 Chevrolet K2500 5.7L Auto
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp

Do yourself a favor and read the 6.2 Diesel Student Training Manual ... lots of good info...it's in PDF format located here >> PDF Manuals
Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
MissouriMuleK30
Block Heater

Hey bobbywalter,
Thanks for the input on the upgrade of the case. After I get finished with reply I will bounce in on the site and check it out.
Maybe I am expecting to much out of the factory case, or like you said also, maybe just a ****ty case.
I have had standards in the past but have gotten to like auto's for the ease of driving in rush hour traffic and have their own inherit problems of their own.
Exploding clutch assemblies, ripping up starters, bell housings, floorboards, another topic another time...
Old 01-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
MissouriMuleK30
Block Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
Line-up pins in the block missing maybe ?

Solid mounts might not be the way to go.. need something to absorb the vibes.

Also check the joints on the front driveshaft, binding in those joints creates vibrations which somehow crack the bell.
Thanks legendman,
Solid Mounts will not help, you are right, need all the flex I can get. Also breaking trans mounting bolts.
No, the alignment pins are adjusted all the way out, and are tight in block and fit snug in trans holes.
However you may be on to something with the front driveshaft, torque from T case, yea what a laugh, working against torque from engine, twisted up frame, maybe binding up drivetrain, stressing at bell housing causing failure.
Front shaft has been replaced with clearenced u-joints, proper length, for no binding?
Thanks again any input at all, constructive is best, helps us all with similar problems. I know this happens, seen it before.
Keep those thoughts coming.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post
Reid Racing Super Hydra 400 Transmission Cases SH400OFF - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

i was around those when they were still prototyping, seen em at koh and a few other ultra 4 events some years ago now..

between that and kilgores innards you could blow 6-10 grand on a superhero 400.

but, i would wager you simply had a ****ty case, and the only way to keep that from happening again is to pop 1600 for the reid case...which is ruthless at a minimum.

the gm cases all fail more then the others ime.(they all fail)...even the 4l80 when wheeled hard...the th350 is particularly a cowardly pos....we tried everything to beef em up due to the packaging of them...no more.
its a work of art for sure, but id just buy a junker truck with the $1500, have a half arsed tranny, and another engine to check for main cracks......

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I just have to ask if its a 4x4 case to begin with, it should have a big K cast on it. I've never seen too many issues with cases cracking beyond extreme use or if someone cut down a 2 wheel drive shaft to match a t-case.
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
legendman
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man

CT Smoke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaric View Post
I just have to ask if its a 4x4 case to begin with, it should have a big K cast on it. I've never seen too many issues with cases cracking beyond extreme use or if someone cut down a 2 wheel drive shaft to match a t-case.
I thought the 700r4 only had the K cast on them?

th400 also ?

I did see some info where the bell is cut off and a stronger one is bolted to the front pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
~ Bob
1987 K20 5.7 TBI 700r4 np208
1990 C1500 5.7 700r4 Short stepside
1999 Chevrolet K2500 5.7L Auto
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp

Do yourself a favor and read the 6.2 Diesel Student Training Manual ... lots of good info...it's in PDF format located here >> PDF Manuals
Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diaric
R.I.P. Sam

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
I thought the 700r4 only had the K cast on them?

th400 also ?

I did see some info where the bell is cut off and a stronger one is bolted to the front pump.
You may have me on that one. I haven't had to deal with a th400 since the mid 90's lol

Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in